Comment

• finished, you can start laughing now

Comment

• CSPA

Comment

• What...

...The...

...****!?!

I really want to know how badly I screwed up the second point that Ata made...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atahualpa

As for the second poem, it's translated okay, but it's beginning to sound very strange. Also in (6) the "so do I" changed to something that Gangerolf translated then as "where I belong" (I don't know the direct dutch-english translation (online translater suggests: "that is of which I hold").
            yeah I made a guess based on the context there. I thought it could mean something like "where i come from" or "where i belong" but I wasn't sure at all.
            CSPA

Comment

• "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Absolutely brilliant rundown of all the versions, Atahualpa! You put a lot of effort into this, thanks very much. I thought about this earlier also, the way you set up the path was very well done, taking into consideration the fluent/non-fluent/for fun abilities of people (my impression was you thought about this in setting up the path).

Excellent show.

I'm having some graphic troubles with the forum, will comment more later.

Comment

• Ata: Well, so that you can comment my own mangle-up, here's how I interpreted the Spanish poem

Sueña(1) con mi presencia(2)
                  y yo le doy valor(3).
                  La alimaña(4) ha elegido(5)
                  y acomete(6) su labor(7).

Ha elegido sin quererlo (8)
                  eligió algo que(9) no entiende(10).
                  Viajar(11) alrededor del mundo(12)
                  por cuevas, bosques, tierra.

Second Poem:
                  Oh, sí, desde entonces(13) siempre gané,
                  incluso ahora recuerdo las trampas(14).
                  Pero mientras(15) se revela la verdad, no renegaré de mis actos.
                  Estaré contento si mi amo(16) queda satisfecho(17).

LOTM did a good job at translating me. A few mistakes, but overaqll the botching was mine

(1) I thought it was like "soy", a form of the verb "to be", for women.
                  (2) "with my presence". Assuming we talk about a women, that would be "at my side"
                  (3) "doy valor". Well, obviously it must mean "je dois le valoir", i.e. "I must be worth it"
                  (4) I seriously wondered if "Alimana" was Germany. But I remembered it would be "Alemana" then. Since we were talking about a girl, and since I know the word "manana", I thought she was the beauty of the morning.
                  (5) "elegido" must have something to do with "elected", doesn't it?
                  (6) First word for which I looked up on the internet. Considering how many times governments "acomete" a plan, it seemed like it meant "enterprising" something. With the word (7)"labor" (labeur - labour) just behind, I understood that the woman initated a session of hard work.
                  (8) "quererlo" looked like related to the French word "quérir", which means "to seek, to look for". Since the woman wasn't looking any further, the meaning was that she wasn't hesitating.
                  (9) "algo que" looks like "alors que" (even though). It also looks like "algue" (seaweed), but I thought it was out of context.
                  (10) "entiende" probably shares his root with "entendre" (to hear) or "tenir" (to hold). I guessed that the meaning was something like hearing/holding the true nature of the man, i.e. knowing him.
                  (11) "Viajar" looks related to "vie" (life), but also to "vais" (a form of the verb "to go").
                  (12)"alrededor" looked like the extremeity of something.
                  (13) I spent some time on this "desde entonces". I had absolutely no idea what it meant. When I looked up the net, it looked like a linkage word. I deemed it completely unimportant thus.
                  (14) "trampas" looked like something bad. Considering that the man was always winning, obviously it meant that he wasn't prepared for dire things.
                  (15) "Mientras" = "mienne" (mine). Obviously
                  (16) Well, if "ti amo" is "I love you", "mi amo" ought to be "my love", inn'it?
                  (17) "satisfecho" is "satisfaire" in French. In love relationships, this implies a sexual satisfaction of the woman, which is why I used the word "comblée"
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• so spiff - whats 'comble" mean? I had no idea, and i needed a rhyme, so i put in the poetic "morrow"
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Atahualpa

It's great reading for anybody who understands german

is that sarcasm I smell?
                      CSPA

Comment

• Ok, since noone knows russian, here's the direct translation of what I have written.

Let the hilarity ensue.

(I)

My spirit is a dream ( doh )
                        I am the courage of that man
                        This parasite chose something
                        To influence your yearly actions ( )

From where this isn't taking something apart without rigidity/strength ( yes boys and girls, I don't know what demenager means)
                        Not to see something is to not understand
                        It's moving throughout the entire world
                        Through hills bushes and trees ( - I don't know what those nouns meant. I just made **** up )

(II)

And so, from this time on, I
                        always when I remind myself of the tricks ( yep. truc. again, no clue ) that I make today
                        But to tell the truth, I won't be changed by my actions
                        And I am glad of my own charm, of which
                        I am a member of.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

• O...M...G...!!!!

I was very confused as I read the first line as I got the translation... how can someone dream "air"?
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• wait, that was Ted Hughes? Plath's husband? Isnt this

"Yes, always earning,
                            one is scarcely prepared for sorrow.
                            but the truth is mine, I regret nothing Ive done
                            Its enough to have been with my love on the morrow"

what he SHOULD have written?
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              wait, that was Ted Hughes? Plath's husband? Isnt this

"Yes, always earning,
                              one is scarcely prepared for sorrow.
                              but the truth is mine, I regret nothing Ive done
                              Its enough to have been with my love on the morrow"

what he SHOULD have written?
                              Well I honestly thought your rendering of the two poems made more sense than just about anything else.

Comment

• Indeed, your poem PWNs his
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X