Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harry potter sucks

get a life losers!
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• i am intrigued that GePap, discussing Voldys "rude" use of blood, compares it to a LOTM post filled with cursing and invective

Am I then, smooth, sophisticated, but deeply evil?

F**king, SOB.

Have a nice day
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• 7. Am I the only one who picked up the WOT references - the useless Ministry pamphlets, the pendulum swinging from a Minister who ignored the death eater problem, to one who mainly tried to look tough, and imprisoned innocents?

JKR said that she'd planned this sort of thing before 9/11.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
          harry potter sucks

get a life losers!
          so says the guy who writes letters to lawyers in defense of his favorite video games.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            7. Am I the only one who picked up the WOT references - the useless Ministry pamphlets, the pendulum swinging from a Minister who ignored the death eater problem, to one who mainly tried to look tough, and imprisoned innocents?

JKR said that she'd planned this sort of thing before 9/11.
            down to the pamphlets?

Comment

• GROVE ST 4 LIFE!
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                The proof is simple: Snape saved Harry first year at the Quidditch match. He had no reason to do so at all, unless he was good. He could've done nothing.

Didnt he have an obligation, cause James had saved him? (even if Snape didnt feel positive about that saving)

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  down to the pamphlets?
                  She didn't say that specifically.

Comment

• In book 5 and 6 harrys coming of age work is principally becoming independent of dumbledore. In book 5 this is emotional independence, learning D's fallibility. In book 6 its D actually dying. Not as artful.

I think you misinterpret what Book 6 was meant to be. It really wasn't about Harry, or even Dumbledore, at all. It was about the coming of age of Voldemort and his lonely quest for immortality, and it was brilliant on that.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Re: Dumbledore Is Not Dead! (Maybe)

Originally posted by Verto
                      Hatred rose in Harry such that he had never known before. He flung himself out from behind the fountain and bellowed "Crucio!" Bellatrix screamed. The spell had knocked her off her feet, but she did not writhe or shriek with pain as Neville had -- she was already on her feet again ... "Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy?" she yelled. "You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain -- to enjoy it ..." (OotP pg 810/715)

This helps the idea that Snape was only doing as ordered by Dumbledore, or that even if he wasn't, he didn't want to kill him.
                      This would seem to indicate either that A. Snape really wanted DD dead, and had given the vow voluntarily. or B. The AK curse was ineffective, and wasnt what killed DD or C. Bellatrixs words only apply to cruciatus - AK doesnt seem to be painful, why would you need to really want to cause pain to use it? All you need to want is to kill the person, which Snape may have wanted in line with DD's plans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        In book 5 and 6 harrys coming of age work is principally becoming independent of dumbledore. In book 5 this is emotional independence, learning D's fallibility. In book 6 its D actually dying. Not as artful.

I think you misinterpret what Book 6 was meant to be. It really wasn't about Harry, or even Dumbledore, at all. It was about the coming of age of Voldemort and his lonely quest for immortality, and it was brilliant on that.

It was good on that - im not sure id say brilliant. And of course I continue to think that this is a coming of age story. In book 6 Harry is finally brought in as a full partner by Dumbledore, and has to deal with the conflict of responsibility and friendship, as quidditch captain, and the conflict of romantic love and friendship (which is really the point of the Ginny subplot - how does Harry balance that against his friendship for Ron) but none of that is as interesting, or as central, as his angst about DD and Sirius and the order and his parents in Book 5. Remember the war is not only about the hard vs the easy path - its also about the power of love, vs the power of magic (or technology, or money, or whatever to those who see this as like, having a moral for the muggle reader) And that realization, though expressed in the war against V, is very much a coming of age theme.

Anyone have a link to the last HP thread, where we debated "its about the war" vs "its about coming of age" Id like to go back and see what I predicted.

Comment

• And of course I continue to think that this is a coming of age story.

none of that is as interesting, or as central, as his angst about DD and Sirius and the order and his parents in Book 5.

If you think it is a 'coming of age' story that stuff is definetly as central as any angst about the Order or parents or anything. His growing up and maturing with respect to his friends and lovers is central to a 'coming of age' story.

Oh, and it's still about the war. If anything, Book 6 solidified that by being mostly about what made Tom Riddle Voldemort and questions about Snape's alliegance. The relationships and friendships were background stuff really, designed to flesh out the characters.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• It's not to flesh out the characters, it's to allow them (Ron especially) to grow up and change in personality.

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              And of course I continue to think that this is a coming of age story.

none of that is as interesting, or as central, as his angst about DD and Sirius and the order and his parents in Book 5.

If you think it is a 'coming of age' story that stuff is definetly as central as any angst about the Order or parents or anything. His growing up and maturing with respect to his friends and lovers is central to a 'coming of age' story.

I guess what i meant was the angst about the order was integrated into the war arc in OOTP. While the love and friendship stuff just seems to hang out there, and isnt real connected to the war in HBP.

Oh, and it's still about the war. If anything, Book 6 solidified that by being mostly about what made Tom Riddle Voldemort and questions about Snape's alliegance. The relationships and friendships were background stuff really, designed to flesh out the characters.

Well the Snape stuff IS about Harry - Harrys continued taking the easy way out in potions (while OTOH, he rejects the easy way of selling out to the Ministry, and of going with a phoney "networker" like Slughorn) and his attempt to outguess DD. In that sense it becomes very interesting if Snape IS evil - not as showing a DD mistake, so much as showing Harry gaining superior insight. Its interesting that Harry was right about Malfoy, and Hermione wrong, a change ( i think) from the earlier books.

Comment

• I guess what i meant was the angst about the order was integrated into the war arc in OOTP. While the love and friendship stuff just seems to hang out there, and isnt real connected to the war in HBP.

But if it's a 'coming of age' story, then you shouldn't be concerned if it isn't connected to the war

Well the Snape stuff IS about Harry - Harrys continued taking the easy way out in potions (while OTOH, he rejects the easy way of selling out to the Ministry, and of going with a phoney "networker" like Slughorn) and his attempt to outguess DD. In that sense it becomes very interesting if Snape IS evil - not as showing a DD mistake, so much as showing Harry gaining superior insight. Its interesting that Harry was right about Malfoy, and Hermione wrong, a change ( i think) from the earlier books.

Everything ultimately comes back to Harry... he's the primary character after all. However, that doesn't mean the story of Snape is directly about him (until the final 'turn' or 'duel'). And I don't really see Snape as actually evil. Rowling's manner seems to suggest Snape as ultimately good. And while Dumbledore can be wrong, by making him soooo wrong about the loyalty of Snape makes him look like a total idiot. Can Harry really have 'superior insight' when a great number of others in the Order didn't trust Snape as well. And if he is gaining superior insight over Dumbledore, does that mean that Dumbledore didn't have very good insight at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X