Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How disconnected from your food are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My condolences...

Thank you. A person from Hull must truly understand my pain.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Mine is an altogether more intense circle of purgatory
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: How disconnected from your food are you?

Originally posted by Sir Og
        So the question is have you seen the actual plants and anymals that your food comes from. Have you seen a tomato plant or patato plant, etc. Have you seen a real pig, chicken, cow? Have you killed your own food e.g to slaughter a pig.
        I've picked the veggies from my Mom's garden for years, and have caught and cleaned fish for about 30 years.
        I also got up and close to the "Food Chain" today as I got to clean up the remains of a deer fawn that was (according to the local Animal Control people) killed and eaten by coyotes.

D

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          OTOH I have never seen where they grow all that beer....it's quite a mystery ....
          There is a sake factory a 10 minute bus ride from where I live, with tasting room and direct sales. Mmmmm....
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I am a suburban person. I've never grown my own food of any sort. I have seen live cows and pigs and such, but never seen one slaughtered. I don't connect steak with actual cows.

Oh, I did catch a fish once and give it to someone else to eat.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              I grew up in Hull, surrounded by a wealthy agricultural county where they grow all sorts of stuff. I've also been to a pig abattoir (when I was collecting tissue samples for my PhD). I've seen pigs. Then gutted and processed...the screams and the reek were terrible. Yet it still never put me off my pork
              Funny, looking at you, I'd guess you weren't the sort to ever be disconnected from your food for long.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Loin: How do they make head cheese?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Never seen a large animal (cow, pig etc) being slaughtered in person. Seen them on TV. Seen a turkey and a couple of chickens killed and dressed personally. Caught, fileted, cooked and ate a number of fish in my life. Grew tomatoes, carrots and some spices/herbs in my backyard as a kid. Often picked raspberries by the bushel and ate them. Went apple picking in the fall almost every year as a kid (that's a pretty big thing in Quebec).

I would have no problems butchering an animal. I would try to be as quick about the killing as possible, but I'm not squeamish about the fact that the stuff I eat used to be alive.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    My condolences...

Thank you. A person from Hull must truly understand my pain.
                    Actually, I didn't know if he was giving a jackass condolences to you, or me, or both of us.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

lol I eat my own boogers LOL
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

While I've never slaughtered an animal, I have dissected a few. I'm roughly familar with the anatomy of most domestic animals. The disembowling should not present too much difficulty.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Funny, looking at you, I'd guess you weren't the sort to ever be disconnected from your food for long.
                          Cheeky tw@t!
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

So when is your first day as mod here?
                            Blah

Comment

Whenever it is, Boris has just got his arse banned!
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                                have I seen plants, animals etc? Wtf.. what a weird question.
                                Well it also was very strange for me to discover that there are a lot of people who actualy pay for country tourism (might be farm tourism or something else, I'm not sure what it's called in English). This is when you go to a farm and pick fruits or milk cows or do some gardening and other simmilar stuff.

As a kid I spent every summer in the country with my grandparents and I know all farm anymals and plants that are grown around here. I would never pay to milk a cow for example but it seems that there are people for which these things are so exotic that they would pay to do them.

Another strange thing is when a frend of mine was refused a visa because at the interview they asked him what hobbies he has. He said that he likes fisshing and then they asked him if he eats the fish or just throws it back in the water. He ofcourse said that he eats the fish wich seems to have shocked the interviewer and he was denied a visa. I find this very strange.
                                Quendelie axan!

Comment

Working...
                                X