Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How disconnected from your food are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids like seeing animals? NO way.. there are zoos? In which they keep these animals at display? Next thing you tell me, there's these creatures living under water, swimming, slippery bastards! AND WE CAN SEE THEM TOO!?!?!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

OTOH I have never seen where they grow all that beer....it's quite a mystery ....
      Blah

Comment

good bebro.

a couple of weeks ago we're at a picnic, where the 'entertainment" is provided by this lady who brings in some farm animals for the kids to pet - lamb, a goat, a donkey, some bunnies.

Now the picnic ends, and shes taking the animals back to her truck, some distance away across the park. She doesnt rope the goat and lamb, but essentially is trying to "herd" them along. While carrying other stuff. Now they keep wandering off. So POTM, who is one of the older children there, sort of acts as shepherd. And ya know the darndest thing? If ya get ONE animal in line, the other one tends to follow. Damn it, THATS why theyre called "herd" animals
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I've seen bunny execution when I was.. 11 or 12 or something like that. Hammer to the head. Twiches. I didn't cry. I didn't like it, but I knew the bunny had to die so seeing its head crushed was acceptable even at young age for me. I learned about life and death early on. FACT.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I remember a herd of lambs and goats blocking a road we tried to use when driving through Jordan for ca. 20 minutes. Obviously the guys who owned them had some trouble to bring them in line. But it was fun to watch, and we weren't in a hurry.....
            Blah

Comment

i dislike animals. it's why i always go to the lincoln park conservatory instead of the lincoln park zoo.
              B♭3

Comment

Grew up on what used to be a working farm, and yes, I have shot a goose, plucked, cleaned and watched my mom cook it for dinner.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

My grandpa once described to me how head cheese is made, and after that I lost all interest in learning where my food came from, dangling prepositions be damned.

Not that I've ever eaten head cheese, but, well, whatever.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I would like to know what came first, the chicken or the egg.
                    Blah

Comment

The dinosaur.

My dad keeps a vegetable garden, so I am often treated to fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, and depending on whether he feels like it in a particular summer, fresh watermelon. We once grew a pumpkin patch in the backyard as well, but the pumpkins were carving ones for Halloween.

The slightly ironic thing about the tomatoes is that we use them almost solely for burgers we cook on the grill. I could not be more separated from the source of those burgers
                      Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Re: How disconnected from your food are you?

Originally posted by Sir Og
                        I was wondering how disconnected from food are people around the world. Especialy in the urbanised western societies.

So the question is have you seen the actual plants and anymals that your food comes from. Have you seen a tomato plant or patato plant, etc. Have you seen a real pig, chicken, cow? Have you killed your own food e.g to slaughter a pig.

My guess is that there are people who have only seen food in the supermarket but it is interesting to know how mane are those.

It would be interesting to know your age and where you live.

It would be best to make it a poll but I am not sure how to do it and can't think of the options.
                        I never actually grew up on a farm, but in a rural town.

I'm from Iowa and one of my sisters married into a farmer's family. So what do you think?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I grew up in Hull, surrounded by a wealthy agricultural county where they grow all sorts of stuff. I've also been to a pig abattoir (when I was collecting tissue samples for my PhD). I've seen pigs. Then gutted and processed...the screams and the reek were terrible. Yet it still never put me off my pork
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm from Nebraska...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

My condolences...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I exclusively eat only live, wriggling, small furry mammals caught with my own two hands.

Mmmm, mmm. You haven't lived 'til you've had raw chipmunk.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X