2nd Annual "I'm too hot, how can I cool down" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Annual "I'm too hot, how can I cool down" thread

Well, its summer again and I'm roasting.

I'm sitting here sweating bullets as I type. Environment Canada tells me its 26C, which comes to about 78F. I thought I'd get that out of the way first. Now let me say that I don't care if you Texans or you Californians don't think thats hot. I grew up in New England and I live in Eastern Ontario, so its ****ing roasting for me. As far as I'm concerned anything above 20C is inhuman.

Ok, now that thats settled...

Anyone have any tips for cooling down a smallish house during the summer without air conditioning? Particularly, how might one keep a bedroom cool enough so that you can sleep comfortably? Right now I have a floor fan pointed at the bed, another fan on top of a bookshelf pointed at the ceiling on rotate, and the blinds closed.

Last summer some of you might remember I made a homemade air conditioning constructed out of a box full of ice with a fan on one end and a hole in the other. That was pretty much useless.

I figure there must be some easy ways to keep things cool when its hot outside. Texans: what did your ancestors do in the days before air conditioning? Physics buffs: are there any tricks with fan placement for moving hot air quickly?

Surely someone out there who doesn't have an A/C has discovered some ways to keep cool in the summer.

Word out.

San Diego, 64 F, overcast.

winner.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
      San Diego, 64 F, overcast.

winner.
      You suck.

But San Diego has exceptionally nice weather. I was there for a few hours (greyhound layover) a couple years ago and I was amazed.

Comment

sorry dude cant help ya besides tell ya to jump in a swimming pool and stay wet with fan blowing on you and being from texas and all and that its 95f here we cant survive with out a/c
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Have one fan blowing out the window.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
            Have one fan blowing out the window.

ACK!
            Does that actually work?

sorry dude cant help ya besides tell ya to jump in a swimming pool and stay wet with fan blowing on you and being from texas and all and that its 95f here we cant survive with out a/c
            Damn, good point. You guys need the A/C to survive.

And because of that you Texans are probably alot cooler than people up here (many of whom don't have A/C). Thats ironic, Texans keeping cooler than Canadians in the summer.

Comment

Cover the windows. Make sure that you have some sort of shutters to make sure that light never enters the room. You need to make sure that light doesn't even hit the window. Maybe plastic tarp is possible on the outside in lieu of shutters....

Also, a de-humidifier might help. If Ontario is anything like northern New York, it's probably ungodly humid.

And remember the usual fan near the bed.

Make sure that the bedroom door stays shut all the time.
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

And because of that you Texans are probably alot cooler than people up here (many of whom don't have A/C). Thats ironic, Texans keeping cooler than Canadians in the summer.
                Where I'm from I live in the basement which always keeps nice and cool in the summers.

As for the Texans, between their swimming pools, and their ac, they've adapted quite well to the heat. Much better than Canadians do, since we only get it for a few weeks at a time.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Does that actually work?

Damn, good point. You guys need the A/C to survive.

We can keep it 75 in here and it still feels cool,

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                    Cover the windows. Make sure that you have some sort of shutters to make sure that light never enters the room. You need to make sure that light doesn't even hit the window. Maybe plastic tarp is possible on the outside in lieu of shutters....

Also, a de-humidifier might help. If Ontario is anything like northern New York, it's probably ungodly humid.

And remember the usual fan near the bed.

Make sure that the bedroom door stays shut all the time.
                    Its very humid.

You think I should keep the room shut? I thought leaving it open would allow more circulation...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Its very humid.

You think I should keep the room shut? I thought leaving it open would allow more circulation...
                      That's the reason you have a fan blowing out your window.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

That's the reason you have a fan blowing out your window.

ACK!
                        Oh, I get it...

Comment

Move into the fridge
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The one fan blowing in, one fan blowing out technique works well.

Course, I don't need it either since it's 69 degrees outside.

It never gets hot here. "Hot" here is like 100 degrees with no humidity, which really isn't hot. 80 with swamp humidity is much more uncomfortable.

Cali weather uber alles!!!!!!
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Well the weather has been sh*te here so far this summer. However if the temperature gets up to what it did a couple of years ago I am going to think about getting an A/C (one of those portable ones) to keep me cool
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X