Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your real Star Wars : Revenge of the Sith commentary here ( with spoilers )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Kuci congress rant:

"congress" in this case seems to be a verb employed as an adjective rather than "Congress" as a proper noun. Your intense disgust at that phrase is baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith

The Death Star construction at the end was somewhat odd. If rumor has it right, A New Hope was sort of a compressed version of the entire second (original, however you prefer it) trilogy, since they didn't know if they'd be able to make the rest. There was originally only one Death Star planned. In which case the decades of construction time make sense, given the scale of the project. But there isn't anywhere near that much time passing between ANH and ROTJ. He's had plenty of time to rework that last scene of ROTS... But why worry about continuity problems now?
      i think the emperor liked his death stars and was building more than one all along. The second was obviously going to be bigger so it wasn't near being ready when the first one was finished. Of course RotJ dialogue clearly suggest that the construction has just recently begun, but perhaps that was just what the rebellion intell believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Anakin's conversion was weak. Just fifteen seconds ago he had said "don't kill him! it's against the jedi code!" and then he say "yes, master, I will be your sith and kill all the little kiddies." WTF? They could also have not made the conversion to the empire so blatant - Palpatine could have just called the Republic the "empire of democracy" or something. I think that Anakin's rationale should have been more "I'm defending the Republic" and stuff.
        I do agree here that Vader/Anakin fell just a little too fast to be convincing . Though he said that killing Palpatine was against the Jedi code because he hoped that before Palpatine died , he'd manage to get the secret of life out of him , and if Palpatine was killed by Windu , he'd never get that secret .

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
          Re Kuci congress rant:

"congress" in this case seems to be a verb employed as an adjective rather than "Congress" as a proper noun. Your intense disgust at that phrase is baffling.
          PILOT: We are receiving a message from the Chancellor's office, sir.

BAIL ORGANA: Send it through.

PILOT: Yes, sir.

The PILOT pushes some buttons. MAS AMEDDA appears on screen.

MAS AMEDDA: Senator Organa . . . the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic requests your presence at a special session of Congress.

BAIL ORGANA: Tell the Chancellor I will be there.

MAS AMEDDA: Very well. He will be expecting you.

MAS AMEDDA's image disappears from the screen.

BAIL ORGANA: It could be a trap.

OBI-WAN: No, I don't think so. The Chancellor will not be able to control the thousands of star systems without keeping the Senate intact.

YODA: If a special session of Congress there is, easier for us to enter the Jedi Temple it will be.

No, it was just a massive ****up on the case of the scriptwriter and whoever didn't catch the error (probably hundreds of people). There is no such thing as "Congress" in Star Wars.

Comment

I didn't like how Padme died... a queen and leader of a whole world that she was/is is supposed to be strong and not only love-driven and the _decides_ to die after anakin has turned her back on her.... COME ON!!
            This killed the movie a bit for me..

Otherwise it was okay, better than TPM and AotC. Still, only slightly above average.. Star Wars movies are supposed to be superb.

I also didn't like how Lucas made everything huge in that movie. This should probably give the impression of a general atomspheric-hugeness, but it was overstretched and too obvious. More subtleness would have been needed.
            Also it was completely unecessary to show how Palpatine turned into the Palpatine looking of the old episodes.
            Anyway in the german translation the movies don't fit together anyway: In "A new Hope" they speak of a "Kaiser=Emperor" that rules the galactic empire and then in TESB they call him "Imperator=Emperor".

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            The opening battle was uninspired. I'm sorry, but even after having seen it a dozen times the 1st death star battle has suspense and an "edge-of-the-seat" quality. The opening battle was just boring. The Star Wars trilogy is awesome for it's great space battle's, but hell, I'd venture to say Episode I's final battle was more interesting than the opening battle of III.

The opening battle was probably the worst galactic battle in the history of Star Wars..

Comment

Oh, and I forgot: RotS didn't have enough Natalie Portman.

Comment

Good film.

I liked:

The acting was generally non-clunky. Obi-Wan and the Emperor were both good, and Anakin was mostly convincing. Padme had little to do, though.

The special effects were blistering, as to be expected.

Most of the action sequences were pretty good. Some of them were great, including the final showdowns.

Palpatine's constant temptation of Anakin with tales of the Dark Side was very cool, especially the theatre scene. At times it was like, well, KOTOR.

Yoda was cool, damn it.

Order 66 was nicely done. The little Jedi kid that almost escapes...

I was ambivalent towards:

The opening space battle was a bit dull. It was nice to see Anakin and Obi-Wan flying together, and there were no stupid aliens or moppets. But, the battle was cluttered and confusing, and the actual outcome was ignored. There was a lack of stirring battle music, as well. Grievous' ship was a dull box... not Star Warsy.

Gripes:

General Grievous and Kashykk were totally irrelevent to the plot and could have been disposed of (keep Count Dooku alive longer to compensate). Obi-Wan's plan to attack Grievous seemed a bit.. crazy. That lizard was jarring as well.

"NOOOOOOO!"

A distinct lack of the Imperial March.

Jedi idiocy. So, you learn that the increasingly autocratic ruler of the galaxy is definitely a Sith Lord (you've suspected something was up). Why not go and arrest him.. without warning every Jedi and not readying defenses at your base?

Palpatine's shredding of two or three Jedi masters in a matter of seconds was somewhat... unlikely. I see him as the sort to summon hundreds of clones to fight.. maybe after pretending to come quietly.

Whether Dagobah has any significance is never revealed. In ESB, Luke muses that he feels like he's been here before... nope, guess you weren't. I thought they'd hide there for a while or something.

Gripes about other people's gripes:

Kwik-turnin' Anakin. He wasn't spouting the code of the Jedi to Mace because he believed in it, he was trying to keep Palpatine alive, and also testing Mace. If Mace was prepared to break the Jedi code, then in Anakin's eyes they were no better than the Sith.

The slow speed of the Death Star's construction. Maybe they simply built it quite quickly, but didn't activate it until episode IV. The Emperor does like to play the long game, after all.

Comment

Especially with the opening scene, there were far too many effects for the sake of effects, when a less sophisticated effect would have made a clearer and more powerful image. Lot of parts felt like I was watching someone play a video game.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I also disliked how the clones were computer animated.... while they did a good job it was still quite visible.

Comment

The acting was generally non-clunky. Obi-Wan and the Emperor were both good, and Anakin was mostly convincing. Padme had little to do, though.

Did we watch the same movie?

Comment

I dunno. What do you expect from Star Wars?

Comment

Not Hayden Christensen :vomit:

Comment

As for "youngling", it's Jedi talk. --And it's still retarded

:shrug: It never bothered me. They aren't just children, they are future Jedi, so they needed some different name.

Even the term "padawan" is better

No, padawan is an apprentice. The younglings don't have a specific master and thus the term is inappropriate.

Why didn't Obi Wan finish off Anakin, though? I mean, he did like the guy, you'd think he'd give a mercy stroke and not just leave the guy to die of third degree burns.

It wasn't so much about mercy, but 'true' Jedi aren't supposed to strike down defensless people, even for mercy sake (from what I got from it). That contrasts to Anakin killing Dooku and Windu attempting to strike at Palpatine.

Killing for mercy is letting emotions rule you.

n which case the decades of construction time make sense, given the scale of the project. But there isn't anywhere near that much time passing between ANH and ROTJ.

Well, they've built a prototype.

Also it was completely unecessary to show how Palpatine turned into the Palpatine looking of the old episodes.

I think people would wonder. That's far more than aging . And it also shows Palpy as weak, making Anakin feel for pity.

Anakin's conversion was weak. Just fifteen seconds ago he had said "don't kill him! it's against the jedi code!" and then he say "yes, master, I will be your sith and kill all the little kiddies." WTF?

As I said in the other thread, it proved to Anakin that Palpatine was right that the Jedi were just in it for power and not for 'good'. Anakin felt bad about killing defenseless Dooku and Windu didn't even seem to struggle. It proved to Anakin that it was all about power and Palpatine could save Padme.. so...

My biggest problem with the film is simple. No Boba Fett.

Boba would have been 13-14 or something at the time of the films. Probably too young for a bounty hunter.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A distinct lack of the Imperial March.

Yeah, I was waiting for it . I was at least hoping they'd have it at the end... c'est la vie!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Plapatine shredding the three masters was just nonsense - if he was that good , how come he couldn't take out Windu ? And WTF did Palpatine keep throwing the lightning at Windu even though Windu was reflecting it back at him ? Couldn't he have waited , let Windu raise his saber , and them stuck him while the lightsaber was up and could not protect him ?

The imperial march's abence was one of my chief grouses , too .

Comment

Working...
                                X