Ghosts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    I have seen these, too. However, the human mind works in strange ways. For example, there is a tendency to fill in details, and usually an event will get elaborated as time passes. This is evident in the experiments where false memory of alien abduction was planted in volunteers by suggestion.
    I know, this is why I don't believe just any ghost story

[OFFTOPIC]
    I wonder when those "trips" from Total Recall becomes possible
    [/OFFTOPIC]
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
      I wonder if there is a correlation between people who believe in Ghost and people who believe in God.

I'm not insinuating anything on this one, it would be an interesting relationship if there was one.
      You are right.

It has to do with a person's readiness to accept extraordinary data as fact.

I guess these people call it 'faith' - I call it 'unproven'.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Another one:

This is a bit tricky because i dont know if its actualy a ghost story as such as i didnt think it was a ghost thing at the time. Also it happend along time ago when i was a wee wiper-snapper of 10 years old

The setting Wales, rural. My brother and I are taking the dog our for her walk.
        We lived in the middle of no-where, in a small hamlet with about 3 other houses; and then loads of fields/forests etc all around.

Anyway up the back of our house is a field that belonged to a rather grumpy farmer, he'd threatend to shoot my dog sometime earlier, so i decided to go have a look at what i could break on his land. I knew it was risky taking the dog - but i reckoned he wouldn't shoot her while me and my young brother were around.

So at the top of this field is a small wood - its got a fence around it and a gate with a small track running down the middle of it.

So we both go in, and once inside i let my dog of her leash, so she can have a run around.

The copse is pretty overgrown, the track hasn't been used in a long time as the various plants have started to grow over it. And everywhere among the standing trees are fallen trees, with their roots sticking up in the air.
        For some odd reason many of them have long stands of moss/vines hanging down from the roots - they look a bit spooky, and there is a slight ground mist.

So anyway the atmosphere of the place is getting to both my brother(he was only 6 at the time, bless him ) and myself. So i accept that we were both in a heightend state of emotions

So we are imagining witches, monsters lurking in the mists etc.

Then my dog starts yelping - not a yelp i'd heard her make before and that freaks me out. So we both start shouting for her to come to heel.

Eventualy she zips out of the mist going full tilt, and zooms right by us, still making this weird yelping sound. She didnt even slow down when she saw us waving at her to stop.
        So we're even more freaked out now. She dissapears then comes around in a loop and here is the freaky bit.

the sides of this wood, where the fences are, slopes upwards from the path. So past the fence you see the sky as this wood was on the top of the hill surrounded by the field.

Both of us see this quite clearly. My dog is still running after something like crazy, in full flight(and she was quick - could catch rabbits etc), still making this odd sound.

The bit that finished us off, and made us run home without my dog; was that in front of my dog was a black 'blob'. About the size of a hedgehog. It was completely dark in colour and didn't appear to have moving parts - it was hovering about 2 inches above the ground and moving at a hell of a pace!

I dont know what it was, i'm pretty much a nature boy and i've never seen any animal move like that, even today i just can't quite fit it in a rationale context. Animals just dont hover above the ground, move around or look like that blob.

My dog came back home a little while later, so i was happy as i'd been feeling pretty guilty about leaving her.

I've always thought maybe it was a 'ufo' thing? but maybe it was a ghost - like a ghost of a large black hedgehog or something

this is another true story but the last reguarding ghost type stuff that has happend that i have witnesed.

But on the subject of faith and believing in ghosts, then maybe there is a corrolation. I have a faith, and even though generaly sceptical of ghost/alien stories, i try to keep an open mind, mainly due to the few weird things i've seen i guess?
        Last edited by child of Thor; May 11, 2005, 08:28.
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Why has Thorn not entered this discussion?
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

child of Thor, it's interesting too that your account, like mine, had no real point, no startleing ending, no rattleing of chains. These things seem to have no point! A dog disturbs and pisses off a black blob minding its own business and gets chased off. Something that will stick with you all your life, but only because you can't explain it. The consequence of the story isn't there, because there is none. It's just stuff that happens...

For me, a guy in a coat in my living room, never see him again, seems to be no lasting effects on me, what was he up to? The point! the point! Just trying to scare me? Well, that worked. Also, two little people on my dresser throwing sparkles at me. Too bizzarre to be true, right? Yet I remember it like it was yesterday. No lasting effects...though I blame my bad speling on these guys.

Do you ever discuss this event with your brother? What does he say about it?
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              Everything is explainable, Lancer, except human behavior.

Anthropocentrism:

anyway...

Unlike God, the existance of ghosts is testable. Although it is unlikely, I'm keeping an open mind (though it may just be wishful thinking hoping for an afterlife ).

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                et moi je te remplis de plomb avec mon six-coups.
                /me points and laughs at the Libertarian
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

BOO!

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

What does her little note say? Can't read the small print...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                      edit...

Do you ever discuss this event with your brother? What does he say about it?
                      I can't remember when we last talked about it, at the time for sure and a little while after(telling mom and all that). I'll ask him next time i see him - maybe he has come up with a rational reason in the interviening years?

I dont' think about it often myself, as you say it just happend with no real reason, this thread just joged my memmory. I would like to add that at the age i was when i saw this i didn't take drugs or alcohol
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Both my experiences were as a child as well.

Comment

Ghosts are overrated.

I think there's a reason why the Danish word for ghost (spøgelse) is derived from/closely connected to the word for joke/prank/novelty (spøg).

Most tales of ghosts come from experiences people seem to have had in the evasive and intriguing "twilight zone" between being awake and asleep, often without realising that they were, of course. I think that's why ghost tales have traditionally been closely connected to the "midnight hour", where most people are more likely to be in a state of blurred or hazy consciousness.

The full moonlit night is another element that's often connected with people experiencing ghost-like phenomena. It provides a perfect backdrop for indistinct, hazy visions to be imagined.

In short, balony!

Comment

cute one there...

Comment

But without ghosts there would be almost no good horror movies... what a sad world that would be
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

@Lancer,

And they sound pretty spooky to me - Hovering Blobs and younger siblings 'x-file' type stories i can cope with

Freaky strangers in my house.........not so sure.

In Devon there is a famous place that is meant to be haunted. The ghost is called the white lady, and if local lore from the last few hundred years is to be believed; anyone who sees her dies shortly afterwards.

I went to camp near the location with some school friends, we were all really keen to see the thing(crazy death-wish guys+gals with drugs+alcohol).

We didn't , not through lack of trying, but after wandering around most of the night the drink and drugs got the better of us; so we all ended up naked and ran around the old jousting pit untill we passed out instead

Comment

Working...
                                X