Is state gambling a tax on the poor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Az
    your posts doesn't make any sense, DAVOUT.
    Weird but I understood it.

Many people seem to criticize inherited wealth but not windfall wealth given by sheer chance.

Personally, I have no problem with either
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Perhaps its because they have no shot at inheriting a windfall, but a randomly granted windfall......
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• MadTV had that skit with the how to become a millionare: inherit it!!!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

• Perhaps its because they have no shot at inheriting a windfall, but a randomly granted windfall......

Personally, I find the pros of legalized, state-run gambling in raising revenue that would be otherwise made by mobsters, and providing some fun to the ticket buyers, not in the fact that someone makes a lot of money for no reason. That's a disadvantage, but you have to have it in order to have people using this game, i.e. the game must be "competitive".
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• There are plenty of taxes that are levied on some bussiness but not on other. Gas is taxed, for example. "unfairly", of course.

So it's pretty simple: tax bad food, subsidize good food, subsidize community sports and gyms.
            Okay, then which foods are bad, and which are good? People do need fat. The reason the foods are unhealthy has more to do with a sedentary lifestyle and that these foods are eaten too often.

Secondly, would the same levy apply to all foods served at a fast food place, or just at McDonalds? Or just for certain foods?

Would the same levy apply to similar items, or would they get charged more depending on their perceived degree of 'unhealthiness?'
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
            X