Is state gambling a tax on the poor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is state gambling a tax on the poor?

Here in Oregon there is an ongoing debate on the subject. Gambling dollars from state lotterys go to all sorts of worthy sounding stuff. For instance, clean water, restoring salmon runs, kids sports, schools. The taxpayers consistantly vote down tax increases, property tax increaes are capped. Oregonians don't want more taxes. So, the state has increased its gambling revenue. Studies show that it is often the poor who turn to lotterys in the hope of finding their way out of poverty. Some addicted gamblers will burn through their paychecks and then turn to food givaways such as church charitys...

Gotta go get the wife, brb.

So anyway, you have the left saying it's a tax on the poor while the churchgoing right say its immoral. Strange bedfellows working towards the same ends. Lots of people think if they spend the money on gambling they'll have less $ to spend on junk cars to put on blocks in front of their trailers. Personal responsibilty in other words.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Lancer; May 8, 2005, 01:24.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Sounds like Lancer realized he left his wife at the Bingo parlor!

Comment

She wishes! She's working 2 jobs. I'm ahhh, working on getting a job.

Comment

I think it s

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I think it s

JM
          It s what?

*thinks someone clicked "submit reply" a little too quickly.*
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Perhaps, but they are the idiots who waste their money.

I prefer it to be a tax on idiocy, just that the poor have more of that .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It can't be a tax on "the poor", since nobody is forcing them to use any of their money on it.

In this country of 5 mio. people, the state lottery alone had a gross turnover of >$1.5 billion last year. I say it's mostly a voluntary contribution from the not-so-bright people.

Comment

It's a tax on mathematical ability.

In short, it's a tax on the poor.

Comment

A tax on (lack of) mathematical ability?

You mean it's a tax on MBA's, John?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The proper use of lottery funds by the state more than fixes improper purchase of lottery tickets by those who can't afford them.

However, it is an individual consideration by each state. Here in AR, we don't have a state lottery because gambling as you point out oftentimes results in mens' ruin and is immoral, and something many citizens would not feel comfortable with. On the other hand, in somewhere like Nevada, strippers ripping off suits woven of $100 bills adorn every street corner. It just depends on if a state is desperate enough for funds or how righteous it feels.

How much money does the lottery produce for Oregon, Lancer? How much of it goes to each of the programs that it goes to?
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      A tax on (lack of) mathematical ability?

You mean it's a tax on MBA's, John?
                      Your statement doesn't add up.

Comment

That sounds suspiciously like something a MBA would say

Comment

Since I don't have a MBA, your line of reasoning is really falling flat here. Woe be to your future clients!

Comment

"In the years since the Oregon Lottery was created, players have won over $8.4 billion. Since 1995, more than $2.1 billion has gone to education, while $123 million has gone to State Parks and an additional $123 million has gone to watershed enhancement and salmon habitat restoration."

There's more info at the link.

Comment

I know you don't have a MBA, but you seem uncomfortable from MBA ribbing (a wannabe... hmmm), so you'll have to do .

Comment

Working...
                              X