Why Firefox Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    I've been using Opera 8 for seconds and there are already annoyances with the default.
    • The tabs are above the toolbars -- why? That makes no sense.
    • You have to click the Address bar for the "Home" button to appear -- not very useful, not very intuitive.
    • Clicking the Address bar shows three different search fields! How useful...
    • There's some kind of trashbin in the top right corner, its use...I've no idea.
    Oh man... You really have no clue, do you?

BTW, if you use lists in your posts, please close them...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Installed numero 8 over the 7.54 tonight. I see no improvements whatsoever yet. They've messed with the interface so I've lost many shortcuts I had customized.

One thing I would like Opera to do is to have "stop loading ALL pages" feature. Plus I'd like it to take less RAM. It only has one Apolyton tab open, this thread, and it's already taking up 37 MB.

Comment

Where did the IRC client go? I'm surfing and I run into this http://www.civirc.com/. I click and it asks me if I want to run the IRC client, I click yes but it doesn't start. Hmmmm.

Comment

Found IRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
            There is a problem with Firefox, maybe one of you can help me.
            Everytime I write an apostrophe ' , the ctrl+f bar at the bottom pops up and this is extremely annoying. I am (yes, I AM, WE ARE, HE CANNOT) almost toying with the idea of returning to IE because of this little stupid problem
            The apostophe brings up the search box as well. Though it doesn't do it in a text box, at least not for me.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
              - it seems to be unable to remember font size settings; they have to be manually changed every time you open a new window
              That appears to be proper behaviour, because the browser wouldn't know where you would go in a new window.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Oh man... You really have no clue, do you?

BTW, if you use lists in your posts, please close them...
                Did it break Opera or something? I was in a rush to go, someone was tugging at my arm.

And I "have no clue"? That was just in a very tiny amount of time of using the default Opera configure that it broke some conventional user guidelines.

The trashbin is a nice idea, but there is no tooltip or other indicator for what the hell it is. For all I know it's where my deleted favorites/bookmarks go.

It's also is standard (and good) interface design to attach widgets to the item they control where possible. That's why it makes no sense to put the toolbar between the tabs and the document.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I like Firefox but one thing I wish it could do is to let me rename files before I download them from my yahoo email.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

The trashbin is a nice idea, but there is no tooltip or other indicator for what the hell it is. For all I know it's where my deleted favorites/bookmarks go.
                    I do get a tooltip that says "Closed". The little arrow beside it also indicates that it's a drop-down box, so if you would click it you'd probably get the idea.

It's also is standard (and good) interface design to attach widgets to the item they control where possible. That's why it makes no sense to put the toolbar between the tabs and the document.
                    Ah, but don't all the buttons and fields on the toolbar relate to the selected tab, not the entire browser? Then by that same principle it doesn't make sense to put the tabs between the toolbar and the document either.

If you don't like it, fine, but don't come up with irrelevant interface design principles.

I'm not too happy with the way Opera handles newsfeeds, though. I much prefer Firefox's "Live Bookmark" approach.
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

the dude's swimming.

Faster, safer and smarter than default browsers. Fully-featured for privacy, security, and so much more. Get the faster, better Opera browser for free.
                      B♭3

Comment

I think Firefox sucks because everytime I go to a news site and try to watch a video. Its doesn't show anything but a piece of green puzzle and it says click here to download plugin. I can't even click on it. Then at the top it says Install missing plugins, I do that and it says no plug ins available. So i go back to good ole IE and it automatically ask you what player and the starts playing the video.

Comment

Did it break Opera or something? I was in a rush to go, someone was tugging at my arm.

And I "have no clue"? That was just in a very tiny amount of time of using the default Opera configure that it broke some conventional user guidelines.

The trashbin.. hmm I think it says so in the changelog about what it is. I always try to look at changelogs first.

Firefox has recently fallen a bit in my appreciation. There was a stupid bug with my faulty mouse. The mouse went crazy and often made double clicks instead of single clicks and sometimes in an input field it would cause Firefox to hide the input field.
                          I have bought a new mouse, but still, what a strange bug. Haven't filed a report though (or bothered to look if one exists).

The bigger annoyance is that ****ing piece of **** that is called Thunderbird. They need to improve that bugger. I don't want to switch again.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Webster
                            I think Firefox sucks because everytime I go to a news site and try to watch a video. Its doesn't show anything but a piece of green puzzle and it says click here to download plugin. I can't even click on it. Then at the top it says Install missing plugins, I do that and it says no plug ins available. So i go back to good ole IE and it automatically ask you what player and the starts playing the video.
                            I had that problem too. It's a problem with the Windows Media plug-in for Firefox... Installing the following plugin should fix it:
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Max Webster
                              I had that problem as well. If Mercator's suggestion didn't work, do what I did - I reinstalled Firefox and behold and lo it worked.
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

it has some problems displaying accented characters, which sucks for a French speaker.
                                Firefox's support for accented Greek characters is extremely poor, which makes it useless for my work.

If they can fix that, then I might switch over. But as it stands Safari is just as fast, has perfect support for Classical Greek, has built in spell check, and has a more professional and well thought out UI.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X