• Show
Clear All

Well, I see this thread has been totally geek'd out
    Monkey!!!

Comment

What did you expect?

Comment

i didnt expect it to be imran vs boris
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I also expected more spamming from Joncha
          Monkey!!!

Comment

that wesley crusher picture is ****ing classic
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              The best Britney Spears albums are as follows:

Ooops! ...I did it again > ...Baby one more time > Britney (2001) > In the Zone
              Lies! LIES! Baby One More Time is the best! They get worse in chronological order!
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                I also expected more spamming from Joncha
                There's only so much that one man can do...
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The exact same thing can be said for ANH. I see little difference in the "relevance" of their plots.

ANH introduces the story and the main characters. Most of it is very relevent for the rest of the story. It also introduces the force. And it, as well as ESB, stresses the mysticism and spirituality of the force. If is something more than simply allowing more action, like it is done in RotJ. The mysticalism of the force is what makes Star Wars more than just a Buck Rodgers ripoff.

Okay, Imran, sure. No films had ever featured story lines about redemption.

Film featuring story lines about redemption = cliche?

Even for you this argumentation is pathetic. Cliche doesn't mean that a few people did it in the past. It's more pervasive than that.

What's more, it's decidedly weak in ANH. They don't even establish Han as much of a rogue, and then all the does is come back in the last 5 minutes and shoots a few ships. Such redemption...

What are you talking about?! The only reason Han goes to find the princess is because Luke says there will be a monetary reward. Han reminds the Princess of this after they are rescued (I'm only in this for the money). He leaves before the Battle of Yavin IV because there is no money in it for me.

However, he comes back, sticks his neck on the line and shoots Vader's kickass modified Tie Fighter before he can destroy Luke's X-Wing.

Pretty good redemption right there.

I don't see why Raging Bull should have won in 1981, since it had already had its shot at the academy awards in 1980...

BZZZZT! Wrong again!

And your comments about the movies I listed just reinforce the point that you have crap taste in movies.

Actually what it indicates is YOUR crap taste in movies. The fact that you think Face/Off or Forest Gump are horrible movies shows that you have no clue what you are talking about.

And I don't see how you can say 78% is "bad" for ratings?

Pretty low = bad? There is that reading comprehension again. And I said it wasn't bad, if you read.

And it is pretty low. 78% is a C level, which isn't all that great. Rotten Tomatoes, as well as university grades, have somewhat of a 'grade inflation' where B is good and C is average.

80% is hardly piss-poor. You are just establishing an arbitrarily high cutoff point so you can claim such an average is "piss-poor."

You don't think 80% is piss-poor compared to 93%? And the Cream of the Crop ratings (which I've said are more important) were at 64% for RotJ. That's piss poor under any standard.

Yeah, RotJ is rated lower, but you have to take into account the "been there, done that" factor when comparing it to ANH. ANH was something that was, on a technical scale, very new and exciting for people. RotJ was simply simply old hat by the time it came out in this regards. ANH got away with its bad script/acting/etc. because people were enthralled by the new spectacle. RotJ didn't have that luxury.

If it was all about a 'new spectacle' why is ESB considered to be rated higher then ANH? Did not ESB come AFTER ANH? According to your spectacle theory, ANH should have been rated higher! ESB isn't that much better in script and acting. The difference is that ESB is a far darker movie which ends on a downer. That, IMO, makes it better than ANH, but just barely.

That's exactly what happened with Titanic and Forrest Gump. People all jumped aboard these because they were little movie phenoms. But once people stepped back and cleared their heads, they realized, "hey, these movies are crappy!"

Actually they didn't. There are more than a few that defend 'Titanic' and 'Forrest Gump' today from unwarrented attacks (the pendulum swung too far the other way). They aren't bad movies. 'Titanic' was a decent film and 'Forrest Gump' was a very fun movie about a guy who finds himself in interesting circumstances (like a predecessor to 'Big Fish'... another good movie in that genre).

But I think it's overall less enjoyable than RotJ.

I think RotJ is far less enjoyable and is on the same level as AotC (which I like, so that isn't an insult). ANH has a better plot, better characterization, and emphases on the spirituality of the force. And RotJ has nothing comparable to Sir Alec Guiness (Hell, neither does the prequals... Ewen McGregor comes close... interestingly in playing the same character), who was integral to pushing the religiousity of the Jedi and the Force (which was continued by Yoda in ESB). The transcendant nature of the Force made, IMO, Star Wars such a cultural phenomenon and spawned geeks everywhere. Wouldn't have been the same with just space battles.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

face off imran? cmon now, im sure you could have pointed to a better movie.

Comment

It was an example Boris used. I actually thought that movie was entertaining. Especially when Cage and Travolta 'switched' characters.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

BTW, Imran is clearly right about nearly everything. Although I wouldn't say AOTC is "close" to Return of the Jedi. It's inferior, period. It has some good moments, but a lot of dumb stuff.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

If there were nudity it would of rocked
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            It was an example Boris used. I actually thought that movie was entertaining. Especially when Cage and Travolta 'switched' characters.
                            entertaining doesnt equal good

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              If there were nudity it would of rocked
                              Nudity

Comment

Everything having anything to do with Britney Spears is garbage.

I wonder, what sort of movies rate under 40%?

Comment

Working...
                                X