Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Government disbanded! Parliament dissolved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't remember how state religion worked back in the days of yore do you? At the time of the American Revolution a royal subject could be any religion he wanted to..... provided he showed up at his Anglican parish on Sunday and paid his tithes.
    Again, if the queen wishes to have me pay such tithes, then she is welcome to try to collect.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies

Short answer: because they're sh1te.

Long answer: because at the 1992 election they won on one platform only - the economy and their competence in running it. Polls showed that the electorate thought Labour would be better on healthcare, education, and so forth - but in the event they voted Tory because they wanted their incomes to keep going up (forgive the oversimplification, but that was the basic reasoning).

Now that perception has been utterly destroyed - the Conservatives are blamed for Black Wednesday (when they were forced to drop out of the exchange rate mechanism) and the ensuing recession. Now Labour (rightly or wrongly) has a reputation for economic competence that any Tory chancellor would envy; unable to challenge them there, the Tories have been desperately trying to gain ground in the social arena, and failing miserably for the most part. They have a dreadful tendency towards knee-jerk reactionism, attacking immigrants, ethnic minorities and asylum seekers with woeful predictability.

Add to this the recent furore over their proposed spending cuts (the party's deputy chairman was sacked, expelled and deselected after revealing that the Tories planned expenditure cuts far deeper than they'd announced). Add to that the depressing state of their election campaign, which (as the election flyer I got today testifies) focuses on hospital cleanliness, school discipline and the 'handover of power' to Brussels - distinctly lacklustre even when compared to the government's vague promises. Add to that...

I could go on. Suffice to say the party is weak, disorganised, has no clear agenda and has had its traditional electoral safeground comprehensively stolen by New Labour.
      Well with that stunt by the Tories they handed the election to Labour on a platter. They had next to bugger all chance even before then...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Again, if the queen wishes to have me pay such tithes, then she is welcome to try to collect.
        OMG! Ben is holed up in his cabin with his arsenal, some barrels of oil and a large number of bags of fertilizer!
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Oh Ben, silly silly Ben. You'd think we'd resort to outright violence to get money when we're so much better at hidden and sly taxation? If the Queen really did want you to help pay for the Church instead of that brand of Mary-worshippers in Rome, she'd probably borrow from the Finnish model and take it directly from your pay cheque.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Re: UK Government disbanded! Parliament dissolved!

How many shields did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
              But my point was that they aren't actually planning to do anything useful about it. There's no point 'attacking a record' when your own plans are just as dismal. It doesn't 'make me feel better'; I'd far rather there was an effective opposition to this excuse for a government, but this sort of non-policy makes me want to tear my hair out. Do you honestly think that simply publishing these 'tables' is going to solve the problem?
              well i think they'd probably do something about it, and anything has got to better than labour's current plan of doing nothing and covering up the extent of the problem.

it is frustrating, and i'd certainly rather have someone to vote for, rather than just someone to vote against. :/
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I do hope for a Hung Parliament. If the Tories can keep their numbers around or slightly higher than that in the recent polls, they'res a chance that of a Lib-Lab coalition. Which would be pretty ****ing cool.
                Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

i'd like a tory-lib dem coalition, like swansea city council at moment, mostly because they seem to agree on very little, so they can't do much damage
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

OMG! Ben is holed up in his cabin with his arsenal, some barrels of oil and a large number of bags of fertilizer!

Don't think much of his diet...

He could always just threaten Her Majesty's Forces with readings from the Bible. Or fart incense at them. (thanks, 'The Exorcist' for that...)
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Go Greens!
                      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

A pedant writes..

Correction: Parliament dissolved, but government still in place. We have not fallen into anarchy (irrigated grassland still producing 4 food).

Govt ministers still keep their jobs until (& if) the PM resigns after the election, or he wins and shuffles their useless backsides into other jobs.

As Simon Carr in the Independent said a few weeks ago, think of Geoff Hoon as the next Lord Chancellor and be very very afraid.

Comment

(irrigated grassland still producing 4 food).
                          You mean farmed grasslands with supermarket, right?

Go Greens!
                          Wait... Green party seriously think it'll win even one seat and hasn't endorsed LibDems nationwide yet?

Comment

You mean Railroaded irrigated grassland, right?
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

A pedant stands corrected

Originally posted by Krill

You mean Railroaded irrigated grassland, right?
                              Indeed I do.

Large UK cities are not currently experiencing starvaton due to anarchy, or pollution, which does not seem right. Someone must have edited the game settings...

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                                i'd like a tory-lib dem coalition, like swansea city council at moment, mostly because they seem to agree on very little, so they can't do much damage
                                That really doesn't sound like a particularly natural alliance...
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X