Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Buchanan Attacked With Salad Dressing

Pat Buchanan doused with salad dressing

Friday, April 1, 2005 Posted: 9:48 AM EST (1448 GMT)

Pat Buchanan cut short an appearance Thursday after a student threw salad dressing on him.

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
    Pat Buchanan
    or Create your own
    Manage alerts | What is this?

KALAMAZOO, Michigan (AP) -- Commentator and former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan cut short an appearance after an opponent of his conservative views doused him with salad dressing.

"Stop the bigotry!" the demonstrator shouted as he hurled the liquid Thursday night during the program at Western Michigan University. The incident came just two days after another noted conservative, William Kristol, was struck by a pie during an appearance at a college in Indiana.

After he was hit, Buchanan cut short his question-and-answer session with the audience, saying, "Thank you all for coming, but I'm going to have to get my hair washed."

The demonstrator, identified by authorities as a 24-year-old student at Kalamazoo Valley Community College, was arrested and faces a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace. He was released on a $100 cash bond, pending his April 14 arraignment.

"He could have faced a felony assault charge, but Pat Buchanan decided to not press that charge," university spokesman Matt Kurz said.

Buchanan's visit had evoked controversy on campus because it fell on the birthday of the late Mexican-American labor leader Cesar Chavez. Buchanan favors tighter controls on immigration.

Kristol, editor of the influential conservative magazine The Weekly Standard and former chief of staff to Vice President Quayle, was splattered by a student during a speech Tuesday at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana.

Members of the audience at the Quaker college jeered the student, then applauded as Kristol wiped the pie from his face and said, "Just let me finish this point." Kristol then completed his speech and took questions from the audience.

The student, who was not immediately identified, was suspended and could face expulsion following a disciplinary review, Earlham Provost Len Clark said Wednesday.

Clark also issued a written apology complimenting Kristol for his "graciousness."

That demonstrator is my hero!
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Wow, that's a lot of Jerungdu...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I feel sorry for the salad dressing... Such a waste!

Comment

Too bad.

If I were Pat Buchanan, I would have grabbed a towel, had the protestor arrested for disturbing the peace, and then continued talking after wiping my head off.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Why didn't they spray him with bullets?
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Why didn't they spray him with bullets?
            Although that would have been good too, the salad dressing allows for a more amusing picture.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Too bad.

If I were Pat Buchanan, I would have grabbed a towel, had the protestor arrested for disturbing the peace, and then continued talking after wiping my head off.
              QFT

Comment

I shall have to remember this date for the significance to Cesar Chavez. Protesters are always welcome at any talks I give.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar

Although that would have been good too, the salad dressing allows for a more amusing picture.
                  The ultimate ***shot.

Comment

This isn't the right way to express your opinions. The demonstrator lowered himself well below even the level of Pat Buchanan -- a difficult thing to do, I think you'll agree.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I haven't noticed Buchanan to fight dirty in debate. I may not agree with him, but he's a very smart guy.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        a difficult thing to do, I think you'll agree.
                        How difficult could it be to throw salad dressing at someone?
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Smart, but raising a gun above your head at the Mexican border isn't a kosher speech style, IMO.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bah! It wasn't Dorothy Lynch!
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              Smart, but raising a gun above your head at the Mexican border isn't a kosher debate style, IMO.
                              Well, was that in the context of a debate, or just a show?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X