Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Good Are Morales, Values, Discipline, etc in Modern Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If i remember correctly hes to move to new mexico with his mom in the near future.
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
      If i remember correctly hes to move to new mexico with his mom in the near future.
      Wow. Out of the freezer into the barbeque.

What's wrong with the temperate zone? What has it ever done to you?
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Scorching heat and vipers might be a welcome change from arctic cold and polar bears
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Mexico is hardly a BBQ. quite ok from what I've heard.

Now, Sahara....
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

You guys do realize I said new mexico the state not the country
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

That's good. Moving to New Mexico.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Bill:

I think that you are wrong.

DM/dt is negative, and will continue to be negative. We are getting worse and not better.

While you are true that individually, this may be true or false, I think as a whole, we are getting far worse.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                  You guys do realize I said new mexico the state not the country

There's a new Mexico now? Wow. We are truly living in a brave new world. The vistas of wonder extend forevermore before us.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

What did they do with old Mexico?
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo

Wow. Out of the freezer into the barbeque.

What's wrong with the temperate zone? What has it ever done to you?
                      New Mexico is very different than Alaska. I may retire there.

It's a very calm state. Crime rates are reasonable. there isn't the macho attitude you have in Alaska. It's a laid back state. Finding a job in New Mexico may be a little more difficult though. Most jobs are for cheap labour and illegal immigrants.

You can always come to Las Vegas.

But housing prices are out of control (yes Californians laugh when I say this, but we are quickly rising to California housing prices). You will not be able to afford rent if you make minimum wage, unless you live in a very bad apartment downtown or in other bad areas.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        What did they do with old Mexico?
                        ha ha you guys are way to funny Dont know what they did with it but i know where it can be shoved when found

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          Bill:

I think that you are wrong.

DM/dt is negative, and will continue to be negative. We are getting worse and not better.

While you are true that individually, this may be true or false, I think as a whole, we are getting far worse.
                          Moral relativity is integral to this (hee, another calculus joke). On one hand we are coming more reckless, less religious, less moral in the old sense. On the same hand we have developed our own system of morals and made other things moral. The concept of homosexuality for instance; other examples include the treatment of people with disabilities and the rights of the individual as compared to loyalty. The fact of the matter is that while we have been losing morals, on the same hand we have gained morals as well. We are not any better then we were 600 years ago in the middle ages, but on the same hand we arn't any worse.

Just because you have a christian morality doesn't mean that we are getting worse; it is just that we have been changing. Religion is not absolute because it has biases in all of it, due to the concept of human nature. We have not been evolving biologically sense we have become Homo sapiens. On the same hand we arn't de-evolving (That's impossible - evolution is by definition the adaptation to survival. To de-evolve would imply that you have lesser skills that are less suitable to your environment; natural selection only allows things that are advantageous to evolve and thrive.), so we have the same human nature.

A liberal secularist, for instance, would say that we are making the world a better place, but the only obstacles is the conservative resistance to change. That's their opinion and it isn't any worse than yours (Neither does the amount of people that hold an opinion make it better) because they have been raised that way.

However, one should note that moral relativity doesn't mean that everything goes. IMO you should act the way you ARE, through both nature and nurture. This doesn't mean that society's change of morality is wrong; it just means that one should not corrupt oneself with hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is, IMO, probably the worst thing in the entire world, because you are denying your own ideal system. Thus, strive to be yourself, but realize that you arn't superior. Balance is what is needed.
                          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

On the same hand we have developed our own system of morals and made other things moral.
                            If there is a system of morals that is absolute, than such a statement could not indicate our decline better. The fact we would seek to create our own morals, would not establish their relativity, anymore than to say that the system of castes establishes any differences in species.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If there is a system of morals that is absolute, than such a statement could not indicate our decline better. The fact we would seek to create our own morals, would not establish their relativity, anymore than to say that the system of castes establishes any differences in species.
                              There isn't, however. We create our own morals all the time. As an example, that's what the creation of new religion does; create new morals (or rather create a new system of morals). The fact is that there is a concept called human nature. And this defines the concept of moral relativity. We are all human; thus we all have faults and thus none of us can be perfect. Thus, there is no absolute system of morals.
                              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Morals are NOT absolute, that's the point. Morals differ from one culture to another. Saying the Judeo-Christian moral code is superior to others, or saying it is absolute, is ethnocentrism.

Comment

Working...
                                X