An essay titled simply, beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An essay titled simply, beliefs

Digging through my files I found this essay that I kept.

I will not reveal the author.

Throughout the course of life, our belief system changes as a result of our experiences. Therefore, for each person, their belief system will be unique from anyone else. One belief that I have rejected is that God controls one's destiny. What this means is that our future is not predetermined and is only formed as a result of our actions and the choices that one makes. I cannot accept that something has occurred or will occur simply because God has willed it to. By accepting that argument, we allow ourselves to escape responsibility for our actions. If I were to kill someone, I could state that it was in God's will that that person should die. Any past conflict or holocaust could be attributed only to God, rather than to those who perpetrated the event. I also cannot accept the future as being predetermined. Then, our lives would mean nothing. We could not change our future in any way. Why should we desire to change ourselves, to seek our dreams, if we are assured of our future? Why would life be interesting if we could foretell every crisis, every celebration? One may argue that if God has decided our future, that everyone's life is now purposeful. Are our lives not already meaningful? Must we impose our will upon the universe in the form of an Almighty God? I believe that we must treat our lives as meaningful only to ourselves, and that we are merely cosmic dust motes within the universe as a whole.

The second belief, which I believe that I will never discard, is that there is a capacity for good things within every human being. This comes as a result of my experiences. I have seen many people do kind things for each other without any secondary motive. Even those which have hurt me or my friends, I have seen do volunteer work, among other altruistic tendencies. However, how can we define 'good' in other terms? I will define good as being beneficial to other people. Even Adolf Hitler had done good things within his life. To the Germans after the Depression and World War One, Hitler was a savior of the country. He aided Germany's recovery and brought a period of great prosperity to a German peoples who had known only strive and conflict. Perhaps we can conclude that the desire to aid others, to cooperate for the general good, is a natural tendency of the human race. This may have emerged from pre-historic times when humans needed to work together in order to survive. This is true, even now. No matter how independent one is from other people, one still relies upon others. It may be for emotional, material or labour needs, but it still constitutes a dependency. It is sad then, that people in today's market are required to compete so strenuously in order to get a job. Perhaps success would be more common if it required cooperative effort.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Nice, if a bit short, essay.

The God thing is a typically secular/modernist strain of thought, and I wholeheartedly agree with it. I'm less enthusiastic about the second paragraph (unlike talks about God which are purely theoretical, the second paragraph could have had some empiry, but I'm a nagging guy ), but it's cute.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Okay.

That's me. I wrote this in 1999.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I'm not really surprised. The tone sounds like a late teen / early twentysomething, and you told us your spiritual beliefs were completely different back then

The question is: with what of this do you disagree now, and what led you to change your mind in these years (if it's not asking too much about your private life)?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

What I find really intruiging, is the attempt to find a reason behind these altruistic thoughts. I ascribed that completely to natural causes.

The biggest thing for me, is when I finally got to study Darwin in earnest in first year university. What really caused me all kinds of troubles is where he says that all those with an inheritable disability are subhuman, and should not be permitted to reproduce.

My first thought is that he was wrong in this and right in everything else, but I couldn't make that fit, and really struggled for a long time trying to make that fit.

Then pretty much everything in my personal life fell apart in my second year. With school, with my parents, with my girlfriend at the time. Everything came crashing down at once, and I had to make the choice whether to go back to uni, or to stay home.

Comment

I wanted to stay down, but I didn't know how I could do that, and I felt that I had to stand on my own at some point. If I went back at that time, my life would not be as it is now.

Instead I withdrew from all my classes, and lived on campus for the four months, and returned home as planned, in the summer.

In January, when I first got back, I was really depressed wouldn't go anywhere and stayed in my room coming out only to eat. I had one friend who insisted on watching out for me and that one friend came up to my room, after about a month or so, and told me that this isn't working out.

He invited me to come to his church, where he thought I could find what I was looking for, and I went, because at that time, I had cleared everything away for 4 months, and had nothing else to do.

Comment

Oh.

It's good news you found comfort in religion then If there is one thing I appreciate in religion, it's the fact that it often helps those in emotional need (although my cynical self knows full well it is not purely altruistic )

Comment

I went, and as I confessed to him later, it was like I knew what I had been looking for, but didn't really see that until I went with him. My confession then, is the same as mine now, that I could not do this on my own, that I needed God's help to live my own life. I confessed after 3 weeks of attending there, and after about 5 months of working through Christianity with my friend, whom I knew from the start of second year.

For the time that I had left open, this was the only structure I had until I had a chance to decide, what do I keep in my life, and what do I throw away. The only other thing I felt was good about my life was the stuff that I had been doing with the prolife club on campus, although I had really done very little at that point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  The biggest thing for me, is when I finally got to study Darwin in earnest in first year university. What really caused me all kinds of troubles is where he says that all those with an inheritable disability are subhuman, and should not be permitted to reproduce.

I'll need a cite on that, please.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: An essay titled simply, beliefs

Digging through my files I found this essay that I kept.

I will not reveal the author.

Throughout the course of life, our belief system changes as a result of our experiences. Therefore, for each person, their belief system will be unique from anyone else.
                    In that single independent clause, you already have a bad pronoun reference and a faulty parallelism. For shame.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

blablablablabla
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Okay.

That's me. I wrote this in 1999.
                        We had to drag it out of you.

Comment

That is a terrible essay from a terrible person.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You future may be predetermined with or without god...what has god got to do with things being determined or not?

Interesting idea I once heard is that, in order for us to hold people morally accountable for their actions, their actions must be 'deterministic'.

Think of it like this: In a determined universe, people's choices are made based on other factors and are determined entirely by the 'sum of factors', like historical events, knowledge, observation, etc.

But in a non-determined universe, the choices people make seem arbitrary or even random. What 'determines' a persons choice in these universe? Free Will you say. But what determines what 'Free Will' desires? Does free will add up all factors, and then make a decision? No that's determinism. 'Free Will' seems to argue that there is some sort of 'fudge factor' at work in human decisions that just seems so totally random and arbitrary to me.
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Even if God knew everything that was going to happen... what matter? We don't know what is going to happen... so presumably we can live life as we would normally. Just because someone else knows what happens in the crying game... doesn't mean we don't think she a chick and then all of a sudden ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! MY EYES ARE BURNING!!!!!... know what I mean?

The fact that God knows the future would be meaningless were he to exist. We would still have to live out lives based on our lack of future knowledge.

And what I don't get is this infantile insistence that God is necessarily what we think of as good and wants what we want.

Comment

Working...
                              X