Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he's merely enforcing some antiquated and unjust law, then merely .
    Thats what the husband is doing. I will remember how you sticklers for the word of the law reacted here the next time you supposed communist revolutionaries get up on your soap box.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Which communist revolutionaries are doing that?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Thats what the husband is doing. I will remember how you sticklers for the word of the law reacted here the next time you supposed communist revolutionaries get up on your soap box.
        I think communism is second in ridiculum only to patriotism.

As for the word of law, it would truly suck if some Christian agenda is being enforced above the law, at least laws are easier to change than the minds of the dogmatic.

If the law gives the next of kin the right to decide when to let the patient die, and her request can be verified, then I see no problem here if we agree that euthanasia is ok.
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

and her request can be verified
          It can not.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Then the family's wish to keep her alive wins by default, unless the woman herself is able to communicate her wish to die.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Actually, as Imran pointed out, the LAW says the husband is responsible as her guardian, not her parents, unless she left a Living Will stating otherwise. Since she did not, it all defaults to her. I have left the decision split between my wife, who is a little bit on the soft side, and my sister, the one who is burned and lost her husband. She will be very quick to pull the plug. Between them they will negotiate the best for me if I am unable.

What is fascinating is that a purely internal state matter is being over-ridden by the same party (Republicans for you non-US posters) that claims to be upholding States Rights. There is, to put it kindly, a bit of mismatch there. To put it not so kindly, it is pure hippocracy and grandstanding.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc

To put it not so kindly, it is pure hippocracy and grandstanding.

Gentlemen and ladies, the President and First Lady :
                Attached Files
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

What is fascinating is that a purely internal state matter is being over-ridden by the same party
                  Inconsistant on one issue, very consistant on another.

I for one am glad the Republicans are not so attached to their States rights position that they cannot flex. I am a proponent of states rights too, but doesn't mean that because I belive that I am okay with a state deciding to kill innocent people, and if you believe that then how could you not do everything in your power to stop it. Not THAT would be hypocrisy.

Comment

Is it the state killing her, or something more akin to suicide? What is your position on suicide in that respect, and assuming one consents of sound mind, what of those who may assist?

Comment

• Of course that is the problem with this there are so many questions and nobody agrees on the answers.

On Hypocrisy:

This is why I prefer smaller parties in coalistion instead of large hegemons. Currenty poth political parties are such amalgamation of views and opinions that no matter what issue they take they are truning their backs on a portion of themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
                        Don't think the president should have become involved. I don't know much about this situation, I don't really care for it because it doesn't seem very important. A woman is a vegetable, the husband claims she gave him permission to let her die or perform euthanasia which he intends to do, whereas her family wants her to keep living?

Tough one. Philosophically speaking I'd leave it in the hands of the doctors. Legally I suppose it must rest with the next of kin. If her request was false then obviously the husband shouldn't be allowed to get his way.
                        Eh, except that the husband is the legal guardian, not the doctors. It's not even a philosophical issue, it's a legal one. And the doctors are the one who proclaim her in a vegetative state anyway.

Comment

• molly:

Probably smarter than the current Prez as well .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos
                            I for one am glad the Republicans are not so attached to their States rights position that they cannot flex.

It's not just state rights; it's the federal government trying to intervene in a court case in progress! If that's not a huge extension of federal powers, I don't know what is.

I am a proponent of states rights too, but doesn't mean that because I belive that I am okay with a state deciding to kill innocent people, and if you believe that then how could you not do everything in your power to stop it. Not THAT would be hypocrisy.

Comment

• Congress has the right to get involved with the courts. I'm not so much pissed at Congress for extending its authority, as I am for it's interfering in a single family's private affair solely for the purpose of rallying its fundi base.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Congress has the right to get involved with the courts.

Not in this manner.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X