Generation gap vs. Geographical cultural gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generation gap vs. Geographical cultural gap

The latest thread about age limits got me thinking, with globalization and rapid technological + social change, are people in becoming more distanced by age than by geographically based cultures?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Californians

Comment

Re: Generation gap vs. Geographical cultural gap

Originally posted by Smiley
      The latest thread about age limits got me thinking, with globalization and rapid technological + social change, are people in becoming more distanced by age than by geographically based cultures?
      I remember seeing some entertainment exec say a few years back that teenagers from different countries have more in common with each other than they do with their own parents.

Could be true; could be entertainment-biz wishful thinking. But

1) if it's true, I think it's true only for teens; as people grow up, they enter into their own cultures more fully

2) it may be true within the developed world but, based on my 2 stints living in the developing world, I don't think its true beyond that

3) again based on my limited experience, I think there's a small group of people -- expats -- who, regardless of age or nation of origin, seem to have more in common with each other than they do with anyone from their home countries. That has nothing to do with what you asked; I just thought I'd share.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

expats

what a great experience. Such freedom. alas for days gone by.

Comment

Expat life was good but I'm glad to be home.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Generation gap vs. Geographical cultural gap

Originally posted by Smiley
            Yes. There is a generation war going on, and youth are loosing bad.

Very perceptive, but I'm busy with stuff now, I'll give you my thoughts on the matter in a bit.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't have much in common with people my own age, in general.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                I don't have much in common with people my own age, in general.
                Because you are too conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  Expat life was good but I'm glad to be home.

Not being shot at.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

we are losing bad cuz the youth of today are all conservative and are too worried about their patriotism to realize how wrong they are.
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Californians
                      **** yeah baby!
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Because you are too conservative.
                        Well, then age matters very little.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Californians
                          Teh CA is up in this MUF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

expats
                            drunken womanizing expats
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

east coast, you cant see us.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X