X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres what i got when i posted the above

Here is something to think about while you wait:

Fun Facts, #63:
    The name California was given to the state by Spanish conquistadores.
    It was the name of an imaginary island, a paradise on earth, in the
    Spanish romance, "Les Serges de Esplandian", written by Montalvo in
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

ON some old maps California is shown as an island.

Geography is still far and away a bigger difference than age.

all the technology in the world does not make living in montana similar to living in Boston, or living in SF like living in the hills of NC, or living in NYC and living in Phoenix. And that is just one country.

Try living in Ulaanbaator vs living in Tehran, or living in Tokyo vs living in Mumbai, or living in MOscow vs Syney.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Within urban areas, there is a case that its all much the same, and that some teenagers will better relate to other teens in other cities than to their parents. Especially for teens-on-the-internets.
        Maybe this is because it's often city centres where families are less nucleated than anywhere else. Where teenagers can go where they please, see who they please and avoid who they please with less of a community/parental influence.
        Even this is limited to within supercultures though. Teen culture itself is hugely variable between "the West" and "the East"s.

Practically anywhere else, geography is much more important.
        Even in suburban areas, where everything (within USA/Europe maybe) is the same swath of grey mediocrity, so geographically distinct areas are still comparable, but the generation gap is usually much less of a cultural boundary as well.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Re: Re: Generation gap vs. Geographical cultural gap

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          I remember seeing some entertainment exec say a few years back that teenagers from different countries have more in common with each other than they do with their own parents.
          Didn't they say that in the 60s as well? Look how well that turned out.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
          X