Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GOP's bankruptcy bill is so unpopular....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"

Bankruptcy isn't a tool to take care of something merely unexpected. The fact is that too many people are living paycheck to paycheck when their financial wherewithal is sufficient for them to plan ahead to weather the storms. We all pay extra because these people don't plan ahead."

Bankruptcy is there in case an unexpected event occurs which severly ruins your finanical abilities. A protracted unemployment spell(and average unemployment periods are becoming longer) would do this.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

Bankruptcy isn't a tool to take care of something merely unexpected. The fact is that too many people are living paycheck to paycheck when their financial wherewithal is sufficient for them to plan ahead to weather the storms. We all pay extra because these people don't plan ahead.

DanS want to kill American consumer spending

Well now is the time to do it (or at least after all the other special interests have been served).

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bankruptcy is there in case an unexpected event occurs which severly ruins your finanical abilities. A protracted unemployment spell(and average unemployment periods are becoming longer) would do this.
        Yeh, but it's something that should be used rarely. Unfortunately, bankruptcy is being used routinely nowadays, so the law should be tightened up (after other, more important priorities have been attended to).

The US probably has some of the most generous bankruptcy laws to the debtor in the world. I've always thought this was a good thing overall, but you still need to trim the sails once in a while.

Btw, I also think the corporate bankruptcy laws could use a nip and a tuck.
        Last edited by DanS; March 10, 2005, 03:07.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This reminds me of that whole, "welfare mothers that have babies to get another welfare check" urban legend argument.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Do these bills also apply to corporations or just individuals?
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Just individuals. I think they should go after the corporate deadbeats a little more aggressively as well. Pretty much the entire airline industry should be liquidated and handed over to the few airlines with viable business models.

Comment

Also, about the lawyers thing, what is with fining people if the information turnd out to be inaccurate? Are we next going to throw criminal attorneys in jail if it turn out one of their witnesses lied?
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Yeh, but why should society be required to pay for the legal fees of those getting divorced? Fvck that. They can pay their own damn legal fees.
                  Society isn't paying the creditors took a risk and lost. I have no problem with personal accountability as long as it goes both ways but these insanely profitable companies are trying to behave badly (giving to much credit to questionable people) and want the laws rewritten to remove all risk to themselves. Accountability is a to way street and if they're going to give credit to questionable people then they're going to have to budget for the logical number of defaults.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yup

We allow big business to whore people way too much.

Comment

There is another highly unethical thing about this bill which Che pointed out in the other thread. There are several loopholes to this law which allow rich people to hide assets but which aren't really usable to middle income or lower income people including setting up trust funds to shelter assets. It is unethical to make middle class people be reaked over the coals but to let the rich ferret money away. But the poor and the middle class don't give money to the Republican party so they don't get special treatment the way millionaires do.

Comment

Yeh, but why should society be required to pay for the legal fees of those getting divorced? Fvck that. They can pay their own damn legal fees.
                        Agreed.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          There is another highly unethical thing about this bill which Che pointed out in the other thread. There are several loopholes to this law which allow rich people to hide assets but which aren't really usable to middle income or lower income people including setting up trust funds to shelter assets. It is unethical to make middle class people be reaked over the coals but to let the rich ferret money away. But the poor and the middle class don't give money to the Republican party so they don't get special treatment the way millionaires do.
                          That makes me very angry

But I believe it

More examples of sad distribution of wealth principles = morally unethical

Comment

Middle class people can shield assets in their houses, 401(k)s, and IRAs. There's plenty of opportunity for all but the poorest of poor.

Comment

I have no problem with people riching their ass by starting their own business and making money. They risked a lot so their return should be a lot. That should be encouraged but I become enraged at the out right corruption, favoritism, and unethical behavior which politicians (especially the Republican party) keep commiting. Either we are all equal before the law or we are not and allowing certain people special treatment based upon their wealth is not equality before the law.

Comment

According to the Krugman article, most personal bankruptcies are due to medical expenses. It's absolutely disgusting that we're shafting people because they become severely ill.
                                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X