Taiwan: Would War be viable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan: Would War be viable?

I'm wondering whether the United States (and Japan) would go to war with China over Taiwan's independence.

Back during the Clinton years, China had to go through a lot of diplomacy to ensure that both peace was kept and Taiwan was autonomous but not considered independent. Today, the roles have reversed: the US must ensure that Taiwan is autonomous but must make sure that the Chinese don't become overly agressive in its attempts to reunify.

Only a few years ago, when Clinton sent two Carriers to the Taiwan Straights, Beijing had to listen. Now, such is not the case: two carriers would be nothing to the quickly-improving state of the Chinese military.

Now, thanks to China's new law prohibiting secession, the fight for Taiwan seems lost to the West, especially while concerned with North Korea, talks with which obviously include China.

HONG KONG, China -- Thousands of people in Taiwan have taken to the streets to protest China's planned anti-secession law.

About 15,000 people marched in the southern port city of Kaohsiung on Sunday to denounce the measure, which is expected to be passed by China's National People's Congress this week.

Many in Taiwan fear the law will strengthen Beijing's hand in using military force to bring about reunification.

The same day, China's Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing warned Japan and the United States against interfering in China's internal matters, especially when it came to Taiwan.

"Any practice of putting Taiwan directly or indirectly into the scope of Japan-U.S. security cooperation constitutes an encroachment on China's sovereignty and interference in internal affairs," Reuters quoted Li as telling a news conference on Sunday.

Last month both Japan and the United States listed security in the Taiwan Strait as a common concern.

One day after reiterating that China would never allow Taiwan's independence, Li said on day two of the annual session of parliament there was no need to jump to conclusions over the anti-secession bill.

Some people worry the bill will give China a legal basis to take military action against Taiwan if the island moves towards independence, and are calling it a "war preparation" bill.

China has considered Taiwan a renegade province since communist forces drove nationalists from the mainland in 1949, and has repeatedly threatened to use military power against the island if it declares independence.

The measure has triggered vast opposition in Taiwan, with Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian recently saying it is a "dark cloud" hanging over relations between the island and mainland China.

Speculation is swirling about the content of the bill, to be unveiled Tuesday.

China has insisted the aim of the bill is peaceful unification, but has said unequivocally that a secession attempt by Taiwan will not be tolerated.

The other primary international concern is North Korea's nuclear policy.

China says its goal is a Korean peninsula free of nuclear weapons and it is urging renewed six-party talks in a bid to achieve that.

North Korea announced last month that it had built nuclear weapons and would boycott the talks indefinitely.

Besides North Korea, the nations involved are the United States, Japan, South Korea, China and Russia.

Asked whether China would impose sanctions if North Korea continued to refuse to participate in the talks, Li refused to respond directly.

The task of re-igniting the talks is up to the two major sovereign nations -- the United States and North Korea, he said.

It is up to them "to increase their mutual trust and understanding," Li added.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

HONG KONG, China -- Thousands of people in Taiwan have taken to the streets to protest China's planned anti-secession law.
    People really need to mind their own business.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
      People really need to mind their own business.
      You're missing what's going on. This is a law clearly directed at Taiwan, which China claims is a rebel province that is an integral part of China. The law says China HAS to intervene military if Taiwan declares independance, and could concievably used used as a justification to invade even if Taiwan doesn't formally declare independance and simply refuses to re-unite with China.
      Last edited by Mordoch; March 7, 2005, 02:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch
        You're missing what's going on.
        He's from Taiwan, I think he knows what's going on.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          He's from Taiwan, I think he knows what's going on.
          Well ok, in that case I just disagree with him. Unless China has rewritten the law so it clearly doesn't apply to Taiwan, its clearly Taiwan's business one way or the other. Its either an action of a foreign power making a law directed at another country, or the people of Taiwan are still part of the Chinese government and therefore its their business what laws are passed by them.

Comment

Taiwan oughta buy one of those black market nukes from, oh, North Korea.
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Taiwanese independence
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Invasion is completely not viable- the US has a hard enough time with Afghanistan and Iraq, and the US is even willing to offer elections and promises eventual independence. To occupy a heavily urbanized nation with a larger population would be costly and difficult.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I doubt the Chinese will be quite as enlightened as the US when it comes to running an occupation. Taiwan better hope they hold off the Chinese in the air and on the water...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

China should be unified. It's time to end the civil war. One way or another.
                    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

china has like 800 missiles aimed at taiwan right?...and how is taiwan divided about the issues the one time i hear people talking about wanting to be part of china and the other time they dont want to...and if need be the US could muster enough manpower to protect taiwan...but that would be full scale war effort like WWII...
                      Bunnies!
                      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                        China should be unified. It's time to end the civil war. One way or another.

In which case when the Nationalists leave it will presumably revert to 'native' rule. Or Dutch rule. Unless you can find a Manchu or Ming aristocrat who wants to step in.

"When defeated by the Qing in the epic battle for Nanjing in the mid-17th century, Zheng had little choice but to flee China and re-establish his base "overseas". Enter Taiwan, which the Dutch had occupied since 1624, and whom Zheng expelled after a lengthy war. Zheng was not a pre-modern Chiang Kai-shek, however, who was preparing to retake China; rather he aimed to invade the Philippines. As for the milk and honey, well, the "Taiwanese natives were less pleased, since their island was merely swapping one set of conquerors for another," Clements writes.

'Pirate King: Coxinga and the Fall of the Ming Dynasty' goes beyond just the biographical details of the legendary warrior. As its subtitle indicates, the book begins with the collapse of the Ming Dynasty in 1644 and recounts in an engaging narrative the pivotal events of China's dynastic upheaval: The fall of the Ming; the invasion of the Manchus from the north and the establishment of the Qing Dynasty in Beijing; and the fight for the south that would not be complete until Taiwan was conquered in 1683. "

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Invasion is completely not viable- the US has a hard enough time with Afghanistan and Iraq, and the US is even willing to offer elections and promises eventual independence. To occupy a heavily urbanized nation with a larger population would be costly and difficult.
                          Actually, China would have a FAR easier time occupying a country than the US. While we take all reasonable effort to not hurt innocents, I am quite sure they would be as brutal as they have been with those Chinese on the mainland. It is QUITE possible to have an "easy" occupation, if the populace you are occupying are in utter fear of their and their loved ones' lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoch

The law says China HAS to intervene military if Taiwan declares independance.
                            Sounds more like a clarification of existing policy. China would have to do something regardless of whether a law exists or not. As an emerging great power and, having made no small amount of threatening noises over the issue, it would be a matter of pride.
                            If anything, this law constitutes a powerful deterrent, a clarification and strengthening of an already existing state of affairs. The more the US and Taiwan believes that China is not just bluffing, the better.

Comment

The military situation is analogous to western europe in the 70's. American and allied forces could slow or stop an invasion for a while but without nukes (which is a completely unrealistic threat in this case) we could not stop the eventual Chinese 'takeover' of Taiwan.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X