"Red Ken" ruffles jewish feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't poke an open wound, even in jest.

Come on. A Jewish student of mine used to say, "You shouldn't persecute us Jews; it only encourages us."

I still think that was very witty.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      That, in and of itself, doesn't invalidate Foxman's position. Why is Israel on the news morning, noon, and night? Because it's a Jewish state.

Because it is in the world's most important resource area is probably more like it.
      How much attention has been paid to the fighting in Yemen?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

LOTM - i dont happen to agree with his point of view. Is that racist?

Absolutely. Now you must repent.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

How much attention has been paid to the fighting in Yemen?

How many of them are white and rich? Or have friends who are white and rich?
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's funny, but the Israeli papers tend to be a lot saner than US ones when it comes to talking about the troubles.
            you will note i often quote (dovish) Haaretz. Sometimes i agree with them, sometimes i disagree. What i dont find in them is a certain kind of nastiness i often see in the euro press, and even sometimes in the US.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Come on. A Jewish student of mine used to say, "You shouldn't persecute us Jews; it only encourages us."

I still think that was very witty.
              It was, but it's one thing to poke your own wound, and another for someone else to do it. It's kinda like making fun of your own family. You can do it, but if an outsider does it, you get defensive.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It was, but it's one thing to poke your own wound, and another for someone else to do it. It's kinda like making fun of your own family. You can do it, but if an outsider does it, you get defensive.

I disagree. I think it is silly for people to make fun of themselves and not let others do so (with the reciprocatory proviso).

Making a joke of our silly differences helps us to deal with them.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Not while it's an open sore.

Comment

It is for some, but not others. Those who want to wallow in self pity forever are doing no one any good.

In any case, race is an illusion, and the sooner we mock it to death, the better.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

It is for some, but not others. Those who want to wallow in self pity forever are doing no one any good.

LOTM - my mother in law still has physical ailments from her experiences in 1944 - 1945. Go to hell.

In any case, race is an illusion, and the sooner we mock it to death, the better.

Jews are not a race.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

However, when that criticism is directed at the entire Jewish people or questions the legitimacy of the Jewish state, it is an expression of anti-Semitism. '

So, if I questioned the legitimacy of, let's say, the North Korean state, I'd be a racist? The Taiwanese state? The Abkhaz state?
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

When I was a kid, I slapped a girl (not hard but in a friendly sort of way) on her sunburn in jest. I thought it was funny. I was wrong. You don't poke an open sore, even in jest.
                          But the pro-Israel and Zionist groups are constantly poking at that sore themselves. Shoving it in our faces, lest we forget that a horrendous injustice was being committed against the jewish people. The article quoted by lotm says it all. "All criticism of the state of Israel is considered racist and anti-semitic". This is unfair and it´s really the ultimate accusation. There is not a chance in hell to really defend yourself from that. The holocaust was horrible and I shouldn´t even have to say that. But it does not give loud mouthed groups the right to use it as an excuse to win arguments and labelling all opposition racist and anti-semitic.

The same goes with the accusations of being a nazi. It´s the ultimate evil and is therefore also the ultimate insult. I´m pretty sure Ken Livingston wasn´t comparing the reporter to a nazi. But he was fed up and used the ultimate insult. Was it ill concieved and in poor taste? Yes, it was. But I can understand him, he wanted to do maximum damage.
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Kamrat X

But the pro-Israel and Zionist groups are constantly poking at that sore themselves. Shoving it in our faces, lest we forget that a horrendous injustice was being committed against the jewish people. The article quoted by lotm says it all. "All criticism of the state of Israel is considered racist and anti-semitic"

LOTM - no, thats the opposite of what is says. "I tell the questioner that everyone has the right to criticize Israel"

As for shoving it in anyones faces it was NOT the reporter who raised the holocaust, it was Livingstone. If you attack a Jew and he mentions the holocaust, the Jew is at fault. If someone attacking a jew mentions the holocaust, and the jew complains, the jew is at fault. The jew is always at fault, no matter what he does or says.

So we might as well ignore folks like you, since your reaction will be the same whatever we do or say.

Comment

And another thought: How come we accept words like "FemNazis" and "Grammar Nazis" without anyone even lifting an eyebrow? If someone wrote "SioNazi" in a thread title he would be banned so fast his head would spin...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

@lord of the mark: Could you please format your quotes and replies like a normal person? I do not want to put you on my ignore list just because your posts are a pain to read visually.
                                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                                X