No announcement yet.

"Red Ken" ruffles jewish feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summary of Foxman's position: 'It's okay to criticize Israel if you criticize other countries for the same thing. Be that as it may, criticism of Zionism is anti-Semitism.'

That's a pretty high bar on the former (but I pass that test). I reject his 2nd statement on the grounds that I oppose all nationalism. I find the idea that Israel is a Jewish state as respulsive as I find the idea that France is a state for the French.

I have a problem with the first in that as Israel is a semi-democratic nation, it's going to be held to a higher standard. We expect more from democracies, and when they fail to meet that bar, we are not just upset, we are disappointed.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I find the idea that Israel is a Jewish state as respulsive as I find the idea that France is a state for the French.

So do I.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Isn't the university a place of open discussion? I'd never get rid of those I deemed racists, unless they began to committ battery against others.
        So you defend Ward Churchill against the attempts to throw him out of UC?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I have a problem with the first in that as Israel is a semi-democratic nation, it's going to be held to a higher standard. We expect more from democracies, and when they fail to meet that bar, we are not just upset, we are disappointed.

That's true, but there is another reason. Israel is on the news morning, noon and night, so people are more familiar with what goes on there than they are about other places (like Kurdistan).
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

What if said person was.

If he was subject to criminal penalties elsewhere and was on the run, that is something else entirely. You said you would be "active in getting rid of campus racists", which looks to be anyone that say, believes one race isn't as good as another.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              So you defend Ward Churchill against the attempts to throw him out of UC?
              Yep, at least for his statements.

Now, if its true that he lied about his Native American heritage when being hired and that was a big reason in hiring him (for Native American studies classes, IIRC), then that is a reasonable reason for firing him.

But for his views? No way.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Yes, you. Not Jewish people in general (whom you sometimes claim to speak for).

LOTM - No, i dont. Im quite clear that there is a range of political positions and religious positions among Jews. I have often discussed Israeli politics, expressing my fascination with the different viewpoints there. I have also disagreed with some of our Israeli and diaspora Jewish posters. Sometimes there are no other Jews posting on something that i think is important, and im forced into a role of spokesperson. Believe me, I dont want it.

And I stand by those remarks.

LOTM - remarks about me that are untrue. Really, I come to poly to talk about games, politics, etc. Like anyone else. But when I feel my positions attacked, or things i know to be false said, i feel a need to counter.

I find your attempts (in various threads over the years) to insinuate that people like me who criticize Israel are somehow anti-semitic

LOTM - i dont know your motives. I think some attacks on Israel ARE antisemitic, or use antisemitic imagery, etc. there are Others which may not be antisemitic, but are nonetheless unfair and vile. I try however, to attack the position, and not the poster. If i fail in that, im sorry.

annoying, untrue and offensive.

LOTM - then disagree.

Frankly I find some of the things you say to be borderline racist, but I don't make that much of a big deal out of it, because I don't really know you.

LOTM - You could of course observe my arguments against racist positions on the threads weve had about race.

But of course, you are free to disagree.
                LOTM - Ive spent more time arguing against anti-arab racism on jewish sites and on conservative sites than ive spent arguing with you aggie. Although i must admit ive never tried to get an antiarab racist fired - i am not part of any institutions where antiarab racism is tolerated. I could claim thats a matter of choice, but id be lying - while i despise the synagogues where Kahanism is tolerated, i dont feel real comfortable in those places politics aside.

You will note my avatar is an Arab woman.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

If he was subject to criminal penalties elsewhere and was on the run, that is something else entirely. You said you would be "active in getting rid of campus racists", which looks to be anyone that say, believes one race isn't as good as another.

There are probably lots of people like that. It's when they start belting that crap out in lectures that it ceases to be of any academic merit.

Having said that: I'd set the bar pretty high before I'd campaign against someone.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

That's true, but there is another reason. Israel is on the news morning, noon and night, so people are more familiar with what goes on there than they are about other places (like Kurdistan).
                    That, in and of itself, doesn't invalidate Foxman's position. Why is Israel on the news morning, noon, and night? Because it's a Jewish state. If anything, that supports his assertion that Israel is singled out for special criticism. Tibet, on the other hand, is not on the news all the time, but you can be sure a lot of people kvetch about it.

Comment

UK context-

The "Standard" emerges from the same stable as the "Daily Mail". The "Daily Mail" is a nasty little right-wing rag, that was an ardent supporter of the Nazis throughout much of the 1930's- switching to an appeasement stance when even they couldn't justify maintaining their support any longer.

It has a loooooooong history of anti-semitism until the post-war era. It's still a nasty piece of work now.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Every right wing Islamophobe in American probably likes that particular picture.

What about a pic of Edward Said?
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Given that the ADL kept a list of anti-Zionist organizations, spied on them, and gave that info to the FBI in the 1990s, it's not hard to guess. The ADL does some great anti-racist work, but they also consider anti-Zionism to be anti-Semitism and have worked hard to quash criticism of Israel.

This is neither here nor there. Both Aggie and Kamrat X made some stupid insensitive remarks and ought to apologize for them, rather than dithering and going on the offensive.
                          I can agree on the fact that my statement in post number 3 was poorly phrased and missed the mark a bit. But I already apologized for that. I´m not doing it again. I then clarified my position a bit, and that´s nothing I will apologize for.

I should´ve remembered that these issues are far to sensitive to discuss in any way. Satirically or otherwise. Too much PC-ness...
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                            I should´ve remembered that these issues are far to sensitive to discuss in any way. Satirically or otherwise. Too much PC-ness...
                            When I was a kid, I slapped a girl (not hard but in a friendly sort of way) on her sunburn in jest. I thought it was funny. I was wrong. You don't poke an open sore, even in jest.

Comment

That, in and of itself, doesn't invalidate Foxman's position. Why is Israel on the news morning, noon, and night? Because it's a Jewish state.

Because it is in the world's most important resource area is probably more like it. Plus the press is still pretty free there. Plus there are a lot of Jewish people in Western countries - we get a lot of British news in NZ because there are so many Brits there - and we get more Asian news now that there are a lot more Asian people there.

It's funny, but the Israeli papers tend to be a lot saner than US ones when it comes to talking about the troubles.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Every right wing Islamophobe in American probably likes that particular picture.

LOTM - as someone who browses right wing american websites that have their share of islamophobes, i can tell you thats NOT true. The muslim haters are convinced its a mistake to try and deomcratize Iraq - they think the election results are a disaster. You are confusing Islamophobe with neocon.

What about a pic of Edward Said?
                                LOTM - i dont happen to agree with his point of view. Is that racist?
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X