Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you recieve mandatory religious education at any point of your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If by "mandatory" you mean "my mom made me go to Sunday School", then yes.
    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
      If by "mandatory" you mean "my mom made me go to Sunday School", then yes.
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia I find it rather ironic - in the US, gay civil unions are being clamped down on hard, while here in the Jesusland of no separation of church and state, they're allowed.
        This sort of thing was noted a long time ago.

Read Alexis De Toqueville, Democracy in America.

Summary - established churches lead to irreligion, by associating the church with the often unpopular state.

and yes, if anyones interested, thats one reason id very much like to see a reduction in state involvement in religion in Israel.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu

Yeah, I went to these. You don't know boredom until you've seen videotape about monks of the monastery of Valamo doing their daily activities. While the Lutherans were learning that boy howdy, there indeed was this fellow named St. Paul, we were learning about mother****ing onion domes. Endless onion domes. What the hell did we need the onion dome knowledge for, anyhow? I ASK YOU

But I can, at least thank the religion classes for this brilliant answer in grade school religion exam (paraphrased, it might have been someone other than JtB but idea's the same):

Q: What did John the Baptist do?
          A: He baptized.

(Okay, it was 'he baptized and taught' but the 'taught' was clearly an afterthought.)
          I had this too, easiest subject ever. Around 2% of people are orthodox, meaning I basicly had a private teacher. Usually it was just me and him, most was four pupils at once and that didn't last long. Usually we did the studying in 20 minutes, chatted for 15 minutes about whatever and then I got to leave 10 minutes early. No tests either "We don't need to take any exams, I know you know this stuff." Well, I bearly did.

Only bad thing was that if the non orthodox people had their studies in the middle of the day, I couldn't get that time off. My class was a set time at end of the day once every week.

Comment

Yes, from attending private Catholic schools from k-12, but never had a school uniform. About 10% of the teachers were nuns/priests. Religion classes included learning about other religions not only in class but through field trips (Jewish temples, Muslim mosques, etc) where anyone could ask questions to the leaders of those faiths there. Atheist, agnostic and deist were more terms to memorize rather than discussed like the religions. No beliefs were discussed negatively. Some religion classes included hours of mandatory 'volunteer work' we had to complete on our own time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
              Religion classes included learning about other religions not only in class but through field trips (Jewish temples, Muslim mosques, etc) where anyone could ask questions to the leaders of those faiths there.
              We did that too. An interesting experience, back then it was the first time for many of us to set foot in any religious building (well, not counting those of us who were dragged away from the pool/beach and into churches and monestaries as tourist attractions on vacations )
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Religion classes included learning about other religions not only in class but through field trips (Jewish temples, Muslim mosques, etc)
                No chapels? No cathedrals? Why is that?

I had mandatory religious education here in Canada, for my social studies class, where the only religion not featured was Christianity.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Certainly isn't mandatory in Canada.
                  If you want to graduate, it is.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

No chapels? No cathedrals? Why is that?
                    He's talking about real religions, not cults.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

If you want to graduate, it is.
                      I really wouldn't call what BC has (or had, I don't know if it's changed since I went through) religious education in the sense implied in this thread. It's not like you have to read Hindu scripture or learn any particulars of the Koran.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

He's talking about real religions, not cults.

Care to try again?

Comment

I attended two Catholic schools. Religion was mandatory at both, funnily enough.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I took a religious philosophy A-level when I moved back to England. Best thing I ever did. Made me a much better debater and cermented my atheism.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

"Culture of Religion and Knowledge of Ethics" is a compulsory course in Turkey, from 6 through 12th grade, two hours a week, so I had to take it like everybody else.

I don't know if it seems puzzling at first that strictly secular Turkey should have compulsory religious education, but in fact it's a reflection of state control over religion although it also represents a compromise on the part of the establishment in the perennial tug of war with the conservatives.

The Islam thought in classes is the traditional sunni one, which annoys a lot of Alawites (not to mention atheists ).

I guess now in conjunction with the EU accession process, there's some toying with the idea of putting in some Alawite Islam in the courses along with a little more Sufism. Notwithstanding the fact that there's no urgent outcry from the Alawites for this, if it happens it will have happened during the tenure of a party with traditional Islamic roots.
                              "Common sense is as rare as genius" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Dry
                                - NoneOfTheAbove. Its was called 'morale'.

I think you mean "morals". Morale refers to the happiness level of a group of people, usually troops.

In fact, morale is often at odds with morals.
                                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X