Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you recieve mandatory religious education at any point of your life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a private Christian high school, and religious training was mandatory while attending there, but being a private school, attendance was volutary by definition.

Draw your own conclusion.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

When I was at school (hmmm, maybe 12 years ago) we had religious instructions once a week. Being under no allusions of the value of this class we called it Ridiculous Interruptions, but to be honest it was far more entertaining than regular classes.

Comment

It's kind of mandatory in Austria at basic/junior level. You get educated in your religion, but you don't have to if you're "without confession" or if a certain religious education isn't available nearby. So, islamic children on the country generally don't have religion class. In high school you may chose to continue your religious education or take "Ethics" class instead.
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          When I was at school (hmmm, maybe 12 years ago) we had religious instructions once a week. Being under no allusions of the value of this class we called it Ridiculous Interruptions, but to be honest it was far more entertaining than regular classes.
          Once, our religion teacher had the very bad idea to actually make a test about what we know. This was our very first, only and successful collective strike. We all sat there and didn't fill in the paper, except for one strike breaker. Needless to say, our poor teacher had serious depressions after that by having finally completely understood her lack of power. In the 8 years I went to that school, two religion teachers went mental - and my school is among the best and most civilised...
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Yeah, it's mandatory in the UK, but I never received anything pushy...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

though you people who went to religious schools really shouldn't complain. I went to public schools. The worst in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                though you people who went to religious schools really shouldn't complain. I went to public schools. The worst in the country.
                In the US maybe. Over here, not (yet). I'd hate to have your school system.

Comment

I went to Sunday school as a child, but all I remember from that was my last teacher who was an OB/GYN and spent most of the class talking about STDs and protection (which was unique for a Catholic teacher). Then, during my brief stint in a Catholic High School, we had a world religions class, with another openminded teacher. You didn't even have to be Catholic to attend the school, but it helps.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                    Of course.
                    In Germany it is mandatory til the 10th class.
                    Either catholic, or protestant (which I attended to)
                    or muslim (although in some cases pupils could be exempted from them, for example because there were no organized religious lessons for their belief)
                    Ehm...no, actually it's not. Are you from Bavaria?

Noone is forced to receive a religious education. You can normally choose beetween "Ethics" and a religious education.

Bavaria is different from the rest of Germany. They even pray in the morning and there are a lot of crucifixes in every public school. They are way backward...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you recieve mandatory religious education at any point of your li

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Your argument is silly.

It's like saying that if I didn't go to university A I didn't need to take physics, or you wouldn't have to pay so much tax if you were in the US instead of Sweden.
                      Your arguements are silly.
                      You chose your school at some point in your life. You're not altering your previous situation by the choice You make; it'd change anyway no matter what choice You've made.

You were not borned as a pupil of this school, as You were borned as a citizen of your state.

And if You're chosing "Physics' University", it's somewhat strange expect physics not to be taught there. You could go to another school.
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

Bavaria is different from the rest of Germany. They even pray in the morning and there are a lot of crucifixes in every public school. They are way backward...
                        religious = backward?

And I've heard Bavaria has, or at least had recently, the best economic situation in Germany?
                        Middle East!

Comment

No I didn't. Not that I would have wanted to, but the private religious schools do a much better job at education than the public schools here in California.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

religious = backward?

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                              religious = backward?
                              Sure. They promote Christianity (crucifixes and all that stuff) but want to ban the headscarf. The state should be neutral in religious affairs and not try to force religious beliefs on someone.

And I've heard Bavaria has, or at least had recently, the best economic situation in Germany?
                              The richest state actually is Hesse. Baden-Württemberg has the lowest unemployment rate. However, Bavaria is doing good but I doubt it's because of their practice of religious indoctrination.

Comment

Not because, but it's not stoping it, right?

Scarf...
                                I've always thought that if they want to wear it, they should. Face is not any other part of body. It's what people remember in us, our identity.
                                Still, if they want it - their matter, and forcing someone to dress one way or another is not right (on the other hand, I'd mind ugly naked people in the streats )

Still, it's not "backwardness".
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X