No announcement yet.

Open Iraqi election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you agree that everything that the Iraq invasion brings or has brought forth is the responsiblity of the Bush administration, good or bad?
    That's a difficult question, at what point do the Iraqi people become arbiters of their own destiny? Its true we helped the Afghans against the Russians and we ended up with the Taliban letting Al Qaida use the country as a base. So there is a chain reaction or cause and effect to how events evolve and we could have avoided all this crappola had we stayed the **** out of the ME. But given Bush's position in time, this is a major achievement. I mean, think about the mess in Israel and how long that has been boiling and Bush pulled this off in 2 years. Of course, if we see a civil war erupt Bush et al will be complicit so give credit where credit is due when things go right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giancarlo
      You aren't understanding the facts, jakko. But your leftism has caused delusions in your mind that caused this. You must shut up now.
      Well, if that's how it must be. But it still makes me very sad to see you respond with such a barrage of insults to someone who wants to have a talk with you.
      "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
      - Lone Star

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker

That's a difficult question, at what point do the Iraqi people become arbiters of their own destiny? Its true we helped the Afghans against the Russians and we ended up with the Taliban letting Al Qaida use the country as a base. So there is a chain reaction or cause and effect to how events evolve and we could have avoided all this crappola had we stayed the **** out of the ME. But given Bush's position in time, this is a major achievement. I mean, think about the mess in Israel and how long that has been boiling and Bush pulled this off in 2 years. Of course, if we see a civil war erupt Bush et al will be complicit so give credit where credit is due when things go right.
        There is the little thing about Bush not agreeing to these elections before being leaned on heavily by Sistani and other moderate Iraqi elements. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the success of Iraqis will be despite the US.
        - Lone Star

Comment

• Tell me, what success were Iraqis having under Saddam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
            Tell me, what success were Iraqis having under Saddam?
            What's that got to do with anything? Is the Bush admin's complicity in the whole Iraq mess wiped clean by the fact that Saddam was removed?

"At least we're better than Saddam" does not an excuse make.

Edit: to make an example, if I can run the Iraq reconstruction funds and lose only 8 billion dollars of American taxpayer money in a black hole instead of 9, does it mean I get a free pass for losing those 8 billion dollars?
            - Lone Star

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaakko

Well, if that's how it must be. But it still makes me very sad to see you respond with such a barrage of insults to someone who wants to have a talk with you.
              If you want to have a talk with me get off your rants and delusions, and grow up. You try to make insane statements like saying that the Iraqis were better off with Saddam. First off, I've seen enough of your immaturity on my campus. I'm sick of it. You people never suggest any working alternative anyways.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

If you want to have a talk with me get off your rants and delusions, and grow up. You try to make insane statements like saying that the Iraqis were better off with Saddam. First off, I've seen enough of your immaturity on my campus. I'm sick of it. You people never suggest any working alternative anyways.
                Where did I say Iraqis were better off with Saddam? A direct quote please, or I'll consider you a liar who fabricates accusations in order to attack someone.
                - Lone Star

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaakko

Where did I say Iraqis were better off with Saddam? A direct quote please, or I'll consider you a liar who fabricates accusations in order to attack someone.
                  PRESENT SOME ****ING ALTERNATIVE TO MY VIEWS THEN I WOULD LOWER MY ACCUSATIONS!
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

PRESENT SOME ****ING ALTERNATIVE TO MY VIEWS THEN I WOULD LOWER MY ACCUSATIONS!
                    So you lied knowingly?
                    - Lone Star

Comment

• Interesting thread... until Captain Binary Logic showed up.

Just want to add that I think it's a great day for Iraq and the world. I wish them luck and success with their new nation. " A Republic, if you can keep it" to paraphrase Ben Franklin.

5 down, 1 to go for the democracy six pack:

Australia - John Howard
                      U.S. - Bush
                      Ukraine - Yushenko
                      Palestine - Mahmoud Abbas
                      Iraq - TDB

and...

Britain - Blair

Comment

• Originally posted by ahenobarb
                        Interesting thread... until Captain Binary Logic showed up.
                        Whoa, I thought Fez would be the only one who'd fall for it.
                        - Lone Star

Comment

• What's that got to do with anything?
                          You said, and I quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the success of Iraqis will be despite the US.
                          So, what success did they have under Saddam? Tis such a simple question

Is the Bush admin's complicity in the whole Iraq mess wiped clean by the fact that Saddam was removed?
                          Why are you dodging my question and changing the subject?

"At least we're better than Saddam" does not an excuse make.
                          We're a lot better, but should the US have stayed out of WWII because we were better than Hitler? Kinda bizarre statement, dontchya think?

Edit: to make an example, if I can run the Iraq reconstruction funds and lose only 8 billion dollars of American taxpayer money in a black hole instead of 9, does it mean I get a free pass for losing those 8 billion dollars?
                          So because Bush et al did bad or dumb things in the process of removing Saddam, the Iraqis will succeed inspite of the US? You aren't even trying to defend what you said...

Comment

• Under Saddam moustache models made over 10 times what current moustache models are making:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I am impressed by the success of the election. It was a demonstration of the Iraqi resolve to take their fate in their own hands, and it was a demonstartion of the efficiency of all security forces (USUK and Iraqi alike)

Moreover, it showed the actual unability of the insurgency to back their threats, as there was no nationwide terror campaign concentrated in one day. I think it'll boost the morale of all those who oppose the insurgency, and I hope this display of weakness will make more Sunnis understand this is a losing side

Overall, yesterday was a great day for Iraq. I can't wait to see what will be the outcome of this.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                                I am impressed by the success of the election. It was a demonstration of the Iraqi resolve to take their fate in their own hands, and it was a demonstartion of the efficiency of all security forces (USUK and Iraqi alike)

Moreover, it showed the actual unability of the insurgency to back their threats, as there was no nationwide terror campaign concentrated in one day. I think it'll boost the morale of all those who oppose the insurgency, and I hope this display of weakness will make more Sunnis understand this is a losing side

Overall, yesterday was a great day for Iraq. I can't wait to see what will be the outcome of this.
                                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X