No announcement yet.

The return of anxiety and depression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear of your troubles PH. I hope something works out for you.

There are always other lines of work.
    Attached Files
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

4 months is good to prepare for, at least you know what's coming.

As for the overqualification, that's the story of my life. Everybody thinks I'll cut and run, when what I really want is a year to de stress.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
        wouldn't it help to speak the language of the country you are going to as well?
        That's not necessary. Ask Boshko, Seeker, FP, Drake Tungsten, etc.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

East Asia is actually not a bad idea there, PH - I'd consider it myself if English were my first language.

Comment

Thanks people, a lot of food for thought especially regarding the teaching which has been the big one on my mind for a while and something I have wanted to do for a while.

Still looking at the jobs and worried about the relative pay of these positions - I am not keen on having to take a pay cut...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Blackadder I through III:

Sorry to hear about this . You're right better out than in etc... is there anyway you can retrain or just get a job that's below you as it were? Can't really offer any practical advice I'm afraid, just feel free to fire off etc when the anxiety begins to kick in, otherwise you'll end up struggling to justify for two hours to get out of bed every morning a la Whaleboy.

PM me if you want to chat or something
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Mmmm, pub

Thankyou Whaleboy.

The thing is, work stress (and I do have a fairly stressful job) doesn't vex me, but when it comes to this kind of stuff I start to crumble very quickly...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I know what you mean, kind of easy to turn work stress "off" but life is different... have you tried any other methods of dealing with stress (that doesn't involve meds) such as meditation/breathing exercises or some kind of expression?
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Don't be silly
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

go down to the pound and laugh at all the poor puppies about to be killed

or a soup kitchen!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

They don't kill puppies at soup kitchens...maybe at Korean ones though
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                          I've never heard of being overqualified for a job.

Happens quite frequently.
                          They have to pay you more,
                          The boss man is uncertain of his own position, etc...
                          actually I may have to take my comment back.

I went up for a job, and the guy didn't say I was overqualified, but he seemed surprised, and said I'd be taking a step down. Which is true, I would be taking a huge step down in salary. But I didn't want to put up with the bull**** of my last job. I still might get called for a second interview though. But I probably won't go. After talking with the guy and finding out more what the job does, I don't think I want that kind of work. I still finished the application though.

Comment

im not sure how old you are, but if youre young, single, and unemployed, the idea of going to say East Asia to teach English sounds like a great one. I regret I didnt try for an experience like that at a suitable age.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"as a last resort"

Monk.......trust me....as long as you don't have the Swedish Chef accent then your english is better than many of the turks, serbs, and palestinians with fake canadian passports I've met here making $32 000 a year.

PH: Get yer ass to Asia. They would LOVE a technical translator who actually knows some science. Into petrochemicals?
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

actually I may have to take my comment back.

I went up for a job, and the guy didn't say I was overqualified, but he seemed surprised, and said I'd be taking a step down. Which is true, I would be taking a huge step down in salary. But I didn't want to put up with the bull**** of my last job. I still might get called for a second interview though. But I probably won't go. After talking with the guy and finding out more what the job does, I don't think I want that kind of work. I still finished the application though.
                                I just got turned down for a job for pitching my presentation at "too intellectual" a level for the audience. The audience were the senior management. I'm not making this up.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X