No announcement yet.

The return of anxiety and depression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return of anxiety and depression...

As ever, life is not an upward climb but more of a wavy line. I thought things were pretty much sorted, I was enjoying my job, they were pleased with my work and I was earning enough to keep myself relatively comfortable whilst paying off some existing debts - some of which the result of having to make such a move.

So what a bugger it is to find that come March, I will be out of a job. My current workplace cannot extend my contract due to HR policy, and are not allowed to take on any more permanent staff (they've said they'd be buggered if I left but they have no choice ).

I would like to say it would be easy to find another job but I know what it is like. I got a job rejection today and it feels like full circle once again, and needless to say, the anxiety and depression are starting to make a comeback very rapidly.

So here I am again, on the cusp of yet another career crisis only 2 years after the previous one. A career in the science sector is like my worst nightmare, a slippery pole, not a ladder with no future visible.

So here I am looking at jobs, either I don't seem to have the right experience for or I am overexperienced/overqualified for. And no matter how you put it or word it, no matter how good I am at my job it doesn't matter sh*t when it is impossible to demonstrate.

So what next for the old Provost? I think it has made up my mind about what I think I am going to do for my life in the future, but if you ever get pushed on you how great a career is in science, tell them to f**k off because it is a lie, plain and simple. I work harder and get paid less than my peers in other sectors and rather than moving up it is more like a see-saw ride - despite the experience I have acquired I am facing an effective pay cut which could leave me in significant financial difficulty.

I don't exactly know the point in me writing this, I suppose it is better out than in.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
    Go crazy and kill people.
    I couldn't be bothered to read the opening post, but this is always good advice.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Study for management in the science sector.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Drugs are always the answer.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Keep up mate, something will come up.

( I hate it too when people use those exact same words to me, but unfortunately it's the best I can do )
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You could always become a bio terrorist. I believe Al Queda pays for your moving expenses.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Good luck to you PH. Hang in there, something will come up eventually.
              What?

Comment

if you ever get pushed on you how great a career is in science, tell them to f**k off because it is a lie, plain and simple.

Indeed -- get a job in an applied science (such as engineering, or computer science...)
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

or pharmaceuticals?
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I've never heard of being overqualified for a job.

If they need someone, they will hire you. It's a question whether you will enjoy doing the work.

Comment

Happens quite frequently.
                      They have to pay you more,
                      The boss man is uncertain of his own position, etc...
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Happens quite frequently.
                        They have to pay you more,
                        The boss man is uncertain of his own position, etc...
                        they don't have to pay you more.

I'll admit I don't know about white collar work. But I've been overqualified for blue collar jobs. They all start at the same rate per hour regardless of how much experience or qualifications you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

they don't have to pay you more.

I'll admit I don't know about white collar work. But I've been overqualified for blue collar jobs. They all start at the same rate per hour regardless of how much experience or qualifications you have.
                          Well, not eveything is the same as it is in he US.

Here you often are payed according to your degree ( even for the same job ). Especially for gouverment jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            Happens *ALL* the time, they think you won't concentrate on your work, or think it's beneath you and be looking to move on to a better job

Comment

Re: The return of anxiety and depression...

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              I would like to say it would be easy to find another job but I know what it is like. I got a job rejection today and it feels like full circle once again
                              Perhaps you need to change your job search strategy. Thereis always the alternative of teaching English in an East Asian country, maybe as a last resort. Maybe not, because it's a good idea to get ouside of the UK and see the world when you are still young.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X