Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laurentius
    replied
    I guess Pyrrhus cast a magic elephant spell...

OR someone of you shcmucks sold them for him

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    Yeah, and I'm not exactly clear where those came from. Micha?

Leave a comment:

• laurentius
    replied
    Not for very long if we can help it

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Does Magna Graecia have War Elephants?

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    Don't worry, if Magna Graecia goes splat this turn, we'll consider Macedonia for our alcohol needs.

Micha, why is salt a military resource?

Leave a comment:

• foolish_icarus
    replied
    Macedonia accept all trade routes except the aforementioned wine (we would happily sell wine, but Egypt already is getting some).

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    I already have your pottery, Lydia.

And, what happened to the update?
    Last edited by Tassadar500; February 1, 2005, 19:42.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Trade value question

I dont understand the trade values. Lydia has Potter, fabric and marble locally. is there a limit on how much we can trade?

Please consider these for the next turn:
    • Persian cattle for Lydian Marble - The high quality of our marble is just the thing you need to show off the fabulous wealth that has come to typify Persia.
    • Carthaginian fish for Lydian pottery - Armies on the go? crop yeild unpredictable? Get your food in a pot and off your mind. Lydian pottery, world leader for 4000 years.

Leave a comment:

• appleciders
    replied
    Micha, don't worry about the Egypt-Macedonia wine trade, I found another source for wine. If Persia gets back soon enough to begin importing paper, he's welcome to.

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Micha, you say that appleciders had very detailed battle orders? I didn't know you wanted orders like this. But now I know that you do. This makes me very excited!

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Ignore Laurentius' orders, and just give Italy to Carthage.

Edit: Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    Ok, got all orders.

Update started!

Leave a comment:

• Micha
    replied
    Originally posted by laurentius
    One forgotten traderoute:

Sparta(ambrosia)- Rome (iron)
    (?)-(4)
    Sparta had rejected the honey trade since it already sells its surplus to Carthage.
    Sparta already buys Iron from Rome at 6 talents.

Leave a comment:

• laurentius
    replied
    Roman Republic

a.d Id. sextilis. 476 ab Urbe Condita(277 bc)

End of an Era

During the quiet hours of monday night the old and honoured dictator Laurentius Aelius died peacefully at his Villa near the town of Narnia 20 miles North East of Rome. His life had been marked by victorious battles, but also great losses. Laurentius never fully recovered from killing his own son. He wanted to be remembered not as a dictator but as just a common man who had only asnwered to the call of duty.

A state funeral was arranged where senator Marcus Fabius Maximus was present too.

At times like this you really feel old. Dont you think so Cornelius?

"Yeah, but the grandchildren like my sons Lucius are promises of a better future for us. Thats what brings joy and light ot my life, Cornelius Sulla replied.

Yeah thats true...Without my grandsonf Quintus and my granddaughter Julia my life wuold be very lonely especially now that my wife Claudia died too, Marcus said as the carriages passed them.

Laurentius' legions veterans marched after a single white horse with boots turned backwards in the stirrups. After the procession reached the Forum Romanum, Laurentius' cropse was put on a pyre and burned. 79 white pigeons were set free, one for each year. The haruspices then tried to interpret the future from their movements.

When the pigeons were seen to move South East in an arrow formation it was reasoned that that was where both a great danger and victory would be coming.

An unwanted War

The news of Pyrrhus invasion had reached Rome few days before and now was the first meeting of the Roman War Council. A special body the Senate had created from senators, vigils and military professionals. People had been so outraged by the news of the Greeks deceit that many traders warehouses had been burned to the ground by the outraged mob. To prevent human casualties the authorities had imposed a curfew and guards were placed all over the Greek market. The plebs werent te only ones outraged.

The correspondence between the Macedonian King and Rome had never been seen this bitter tone and agnry words and many Senators genuinely suspected that Macedonia was behind this war, afterall Pyrrhus was a Macedonian. Fortunately the moderate side prevailed at the end and more pragmatic letters were sent to Macedonia.

The Greek cities in the North were seen as a possible threat to Roman security though and they were demamded to disarm and pledge allegiance to Rome. Only Emporion did so and Rome was prepared to disarm the other polis by force if necessary. After Macedonia offered to mediate such plans were abandoned. As a sign of friendship and respect to Macedonia no military operations were to be conducted against these polis.

The Wedge

The war coucil was being very pragmatic with the current situation. Even though Rome was able to counter Pyrrhus with about 36 000 soldiers the Spartan elites were hired juts to make sure Pyrrhus would be utterly defeated as well as to save Roman casualties.

A new position of an Admirad of the Roman navy was created and the triple champion of the Roman Regatta Numa Pompilius was given the task of building 10 new triemes as well as equipping the old ones in a modern fashion. He was given orders to annihilate the Greek navy.

The legion were also called to the South and they were to regroup near Neapolis.

The Basilica Aemilia was where the War Council met to discuss the strategy used against Pyrrhus

Orders

- Reserve 30 talents as a payment to the Spartans when the time is right.

- Spend 30 talents to 10 new triemes and use 10 talents to enhance their rostra used for ramming and add catapults to some of the ships. Furthermore train the marines to capture enemy ships in case they get close enough to do so.

Move the improved fleet to Ionian Sea and harass the Greek navy in order to get it leave the Bay of Tarentum. Engage them in open waters and destroy them.

If we are unsuccesful to get the Greek navy to move out from the Bay of Tarentum, just attack them in the bay instead. in either case assign the triemes into a serpent like formation where every third trieme is 30 meters closer to the enemy than the rest. When the enemy attacks these triemes, ram to their sides or pound them with catapults. Attemp to capture as many as you can and sink the rest.

If succesful send word to Spartans to land near Tarentum and move towards Beneventum to join our attack on Pyrrhus if they should miss the battle though. Have them attack the remaining Pyrrhian troops.

- Spend 24 talents to train 1680 legionaries. Add all these to the V legion.

Leave legion II latina to protect Roman terriotories from the North and attempt to capture Mediolanum. Siege it if necessary. Scout for Celtic movements. Apulian guards cooperate with Legion II in trying to capture Medionlanum. As I dont want them attacking their brothers....

Legions I,III,IV and V will march to Beneventum and get ready to meet Pyrrhus and his troops

Scout ahead to avoid any nasty surprises. Furthermore use totally new tactical formations with the legions and the footsoldiers....

Form huge wings from the cavalry and flank them with archers. Arrange the catapults behind the center and have them fire rocks and fire on the enemy infantry.
    The main body is to be 5 line deep but its vertical consistency being only illusion. The 5 lines are to be cut to cohorths so that every line is made up from 20 cohorts. The first 2 lines are legionaries only but the third and 5th line have a mixture of archers in them, the reason for this is explained here:

When elephants attack try to route them with horns, shouting and banging swords on shields. If an elephant is not panicking yet and charges against our line, open "lanes" for them according to the cohorts and let them run to the lane. Now continue with the vocal harrasment while the archers(foot soldiers) try to shoot down the riders and the legionaries attack elephants sides with spears. If an elephant turns back, let them pass.

After doing this regroup into a wedge formation and attack the enemy infantry. While doing this order the wings to circle the enemy and to attack their rear.

Commanders: Scipio and Aemilius. Monterus in charge of the archers and slingers.
    Last edited by laurentius; February 1, 2005, 13:27.

Leave a comment:

• Tassadar500
    replied
    Amber is not even on the map...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X