X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool news.

(just noticed this forum)

Comment

I'm hoping they make it more interesting for me. Everytime I think I'm going to love it, but then I get in and it turns out to be more tedious than fun . I have hopes this can break the trend, but this will be one EU that I won't be buying on the first day.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You didn't like EU2?
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
          You didn't like EU2?
          No. Interesting concept, but similar to my experience with EU. The events were a nice touch, but I didn't feel like I was having fun, but rather that things were a bit tedious.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ok, sell me.

Is this a game where you dont move pieces (Like CIV or AOE) but have abstract battle over economies and territories and supplies?

Thanks for any feedback

Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

You move armies, but the armies aren't too customizable. It's mostly a numbers game, with generals and terrain factored in a bit.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                Ok, sell me.

Is this a game where you dont move pieces (Like CIV or AOE) but have abstract battle over economies and territories and supplies?

Thanks for any feedback

Gramps
                Armies are simply so many inf, so many cav, so many artillery. They move from province to province. Combat is fairly abstract, though it includes not only leader and terrain effects, but morale effects, and changing tech over time. And supply as well. in the 1400s cavalry still rules, but you want infantry also on rougher terrain. Later cav become weaker and infantry stronger, but cav can still be strong in plains or desert - and are useful for pursuing a beaten enemy, or for a pillaging raid. And then theres siege warfare - with infantry I can starve a city out, but that takes along time, and meanwhile my people are becoming war weary, and my treas is going through funds or I can assault, at considerable cost in casualties. Once ive got artillery sieges will go faster. Oh, and you dont want to try sieging in winter, as your army will suffer major attrition.

So abstract or not, its still a pretty interesting combat system.

Plus theres economics, diplomacy, domestic policy, religion, population growth - each of which is pretty abstract, but the way they interact with each is other is deep.

Its really a terrific game.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Thanks a bunch, I been listening carefully of a lot of folks talk about something called Vicky? maybe a slang for Victory or something??

Ok

Ill keep reading

Gramps

Comment

Victoria

Basically the Napolean to WWI version of EU.
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                      Victoria

Basically the Napolean to WWI version of EU.
                      See, Paddy (hes doesnt post here too much) a guy I know from Austrralia, got me hooked on a couple scenarios from Napoleonic era in CIV III Conquests, and I think I would enjoy them

Is this something one would do PBEM by or not?

Comment

It's real time with a lot of pausing, so you can't really PBEM it. It's not an RTS at all though.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          It's real time with a lot of pausing, so you can't really PBEM it. It's not an RTS at all though.
                          But if you had a group of honest players and then agreed every few turns to post maybe you could take the same civ or military group and see how you fare under same conditions, seems it would be fun, to play same allotted troops and such and see how you fare against others

Maaking me wanna maybe go invest in a copy soon

Comment

Do that. But bear in mind that Victoria is very MM intensive. Not everybody likes that.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                              Do that. But bear in mind that Victoria is very MM intensive. Not everybody likes that.
                              Oh I am amanager at work and assure you, I wear that thorny crown known as a Micro manager

I do love MM thats why I enjoy CIV so many things to look after

Ok..

I appreciate the feedback folks

Comment

New info was available today, together with three [alpha screenshots!
                                Originally posted by Rich Oliver

New York, USA (March 29th 2006) - The Europa Universalis series put Paradox Interactive on the map as a leading strategy developer and publisher, which is why fans the world over took notice when the company recently revealed more information on its long-awaited release, Europa Universalis III.

Europa Universalis III delves deeply into the areas of exploration, trade, warfare and diplomacy. This soon-to-be classic PC Strategy title will be characterized by immense depth and historical content that charge its challenging gameplay with incredible replayability value.

Key features:

* Players can enjoy over 300 years of gameplay by starting at ANY date between 1453 and 1789.
                                * Nation building is flexible: decide your own form of government, the structure of your society, trade politics and much more. The possibilities are endless.
                                * The great people and personalities of the past are on hand to support you. Take history in your hands and call personalities like Sir Isaac Newton, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or René Descartes to your court.
                                * A lush topographic map in full 3D allows for a rich and complete world view, and contains more than 1700 provinces and sea zones.
                                * Lead any one of more than 250 countries that originally existed during the game’s extensive time span.
                                * Have more than a thousand historical leaders and over 4000 historical Monarchs at your disposal.
                                * Manage more than 100 individual unit troops to secure as much power as possible.
                                * Co-operative multiplayer mode allows several players to work together to control a single nation.
                                * Customize your game: Europa Universalis III gives you the chance to customize and mod practically anything your heart may desire. Join the constantly growing and incredibly talented Paradox modding community!

at:http://www.gamepressure.com/news.asp?ID=27923
                                Johan also has been answering/commenting a bit today, mostly giving us more questions though. One [b]big[&b thing is that in EU3, you can start at any date you want! Not year, but date!

Here's the pics, bear in mind that this is alpha screens, and the game's out in about a year.

Comment

Working...
                                X