M:tG Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M:tG Online

Against my better judgement I signed up for this, and play the occasional game with a black-red deck that I bought with the $10 coupon you get when you register.

I'm not doing overly well, being hopelessly outplayed by almost everyone, but then it is a pre-constructed deck, not known for their ability to beat anything except another preconstructed deck...

Anyone else play?
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

No, but more on the fact that if I were to buy cards, I'd buy the real things... it seems silly to me to buy virtual cards and real cards IMHO... though I may have the concept of it really wrong.

That... and it's not compatible with my Mac...
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

*sigh*

I wish they had made MtG online somewhat like Diablo, where you walk around battling monsters with decks of their own in order to win cards.

Having to purchase cards puts the game out of my price range.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Purchasing online cards is just anathema to me. I've not looked twice at M:tG online as a result since I don't want to be tempted.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

*nods* That's what I think about it too... good concept, great way to play people when you can't find anybody, but having to buy two decks if you play both online and IRL? I don't think so.
          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

yeah, that is stupid - they should implement a way to get new cards you buy in both formats, even if you can't transfer ones you already have. But since I don't play IRL, I figured one deck wasn't too expensive to just play the odd game online now and again.
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

IW,

IIRC, Chowlett plays it as well, but haven't seen him around for ages.

Originally posted by obiwan18
              *sigh*

I wish they had made MtG online somewhat like Diablo, where you walk around battling monsters with decks of their own in order to win cards.
              You mean like the MicroProse game M:tG?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Paying real-world money for virtual-world cards? They must really think Magic players are a bunch of clueless 13-year-olds . . .

(Oh, wait. The average Magic player is 13.)
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Yeah, that's a great scam.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have no idea what game you are all talking about, but I grew out of card battle games (top trumps?) when I was about 12.

Is this game a glorified version of that?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Never heard of Magic the Gathering?

Yeah, I suppose it is a glorified version of Top Trumps (VERY VERY glorified, though) in so far as you collect cards, fight them, each card has an Attack and Defence value, biggest number wins in straight combat. It's far more involved than that, though. If MtG was chess then Top Trumps would be noughts-and-crosses ... or whatever, you get my point.

Great game, but expensive.

Have a look around www.magicthegathering.com to maybe get a better idea. It might just confuse you even more, though.
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Magic is also potentially a professional game. The top 50-ish players in the world can actually make a living from travelling around the world and playing in tournaments.

My g/f's brother got heavily into playing Magic when he was at Uni. He entered tournaments, won and collected rare cards etc...
                        When he left Uni he sold his collection of cards, added that to the money he had won in tournaments and had enough to buy himself a nice new car. That'd never happen with top trumps.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

When he left Uni he sold his collection of cards, added that to the money he had won in tournaments and had enough to buy himself a nice new car. That'd never happen with top trumps.
                          But you might have the wicked cool Harley Davidson card. Its not to be sniffed at.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It blows my mind to think how profit-margin padding this is... Before, WotC was basically selling printed paper cards for many times their production cost. Now they even save on the paper cost and store it all in virtual form? It boggles the mind.

That said I have some decks from my Magic days. Good for a casual game or two, but never for serious tournement play.
                            *grumbles about work*

Comment

You mean like the MicroProse game M:tG?
                              A combination of the Shandalar game and Diablo.

Shandalar is only single player, so they would need to incorporate some of the features of multiplayer Diablo.

If you want to make money, this would be a good place to start.
                              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; April 26, 2003, 22:21.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X