Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the GTA series the best game series of the last ten years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to have to buy GTA if you want to keep talking about it. I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about a game that they've never played, or even know what it really is, so much.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
      You're going to have to buy GTA if you want to keep talking about it. I don't think I've ever seen someone talk about a game that they've never played, or even know what it really is, so much.
      er thats why im asking about it.

Look, i dont talk about GTA from a game playing point of view. I do talk about it when social or political aspects come up - if people who arent Haitians or arent parents or whatever can talk about concerns of Haitians and parents, i think non players can talk about GTA.

I talked about it in the other thread, making a jovial remark about someone being a fanboy. He replied with "its the best series in 10 years" So i wanted to see what other people thought.

Look, you're perfectly free to ignore my posts if you wish.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

er thats why im asking about it.
        After all this time you're still pretty clueless. Just play the damn game and find out what it is you're talking about.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

After all this time you're still pretty clueless. Just play the damn game and find out what it is you're talking about.
          I'll do as I please. Feel free to ignore my posts.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

[obligatory]

Did someone say something?

[/obligatory]

Comment

Yes GTA is the best video game series (ever).

And I was the one who said it was the BEST series in the last 10 years.

Better than Civ? Yep. CivIII sucks monkey balls. Better than Moo? Yep, Moo3 sucks every worse. Better than Baldur's Gate? Yep, BG1 wasn't that great (though fun). Better than Fallout? Yep, but close (Fallout 1&2 had too many bugs). Better than Total War and Warcraft? Yep, RTS sucks . Better than EU? Of course, good concept, not that great in actuality (I should not be able to easily conquer the world as France).

GTA is the best series in the last 10 years.

The only unique thing about GTA is that you can wander around all you want, other than that its just another action title.

That's a pretty BIG unique thing. I mean, most RPG's, which are supposed to be freeflowing and non-linear, do not have the same ability (only Morrowind is as free flowing).

Really all the new GTA needs is some level building (ie, shoot straight, etc) and it instantly becomes the greatest action/RPG in history.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Really, id like to know what to compare it to.
                Im sure comparing it to civ is silly, (see above post for why i did that) but could one compare it to say, Baldurs Gate? so i could get an idea of how it compares in openendness, missions/quests, well crafted world, etc?

You can't... it's unique.

Take Morrowind, add MidTown Madness (or whatever crazy driving game you want), throw in set missions you have to complete to advance, and you just get a taste of the world.

In terms of openness and well-crafted world, it's like Morrowind. You don't have to do the main quest at all. In terms of missions/quests, you have a certain mission and then others are opened up to you after that (from different people, etc). It's different from most RPGs that way. In most RPGs, you meet the guy and then you get your quest. In GTA, you do a few quests and then you are allowed to meet another guy to do a different quest.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

For some reason, the most recent games I've played (in any sort of regular fashion) all date back to 1999... That's, 5 years ago.

But if you allow me to talk about the first half of those ten years I'd rate the GTA series third, after the Civ series and the Commandos series...
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I'm taking a stand and saying that Grand Theft Auto 3 (NOT the crappy PC version) is one of the top 10 best games of all time. All those who think I'm wrong shall be thrown from helicopters.

However, I didn't think much of the really old original GTA games, and I don't think that GTAIII + Vice City by themselves really constitute a "series" so I'm gonna vote no to the question in the first post.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Whatever happened to those Top 10 Best Games theads we had a while back? We should have another one.

Comment

I'm taking a stand and saying that Grand Theft Auto 3 (NOT the crappy PC version) is one of the top 10 best games of all time. All those who think I'm wrong shall be thrown from helicopters.

Though I did like the PC version .

I don't think that GTAIII + Vice City by themselves really constitute a "series"

Well some people are considering the Totar War games to be a series. It's the same thing. Similar engine and a vastly different setting.
                        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 9, 2004, 23:52.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                          Whatever happened to those Top 10 Best Games theads we had a while back? We should have another one.
                          I was thinking of bringing that series back.
                          Now that I'm aware of demand for such a thread too, I shall do so.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yay!

/me starts making his list.

Comment

Just for you, FP.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X