Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the GTA series the best game series of the last ten years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the GTA series the best game series of the last ten years?

honestly I dont know, i havent played GTA, my tastes in games are eccentric, and even within those eccentric tastes theres plenty ive never played.

But how about it? GTA vs Civ? GTA vs EU? GTA vs SMAC?
    GTA vs TOAW??

Or to make it a closer comparison, GTA vs Baldurs Gate??? GTA vs Simcity??
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

GTA is not even a contender.

The Civ series? (including SMAC)
    The Baldur's Gate series?
    The Total War series?
    The Panzer General series?
    The Warcraft series?
    The Warlords series?

All of these are beyond discussion better.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Best series is the paradox games. (EU, HoI, Victoria, ect...)
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I played the Demo of GTA once.

-

Best series :

Civ
        Caesar
        CM
        C&C

Am I on a pattern here, or is it just my imagination...
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Final Fantasy series is certainly worthy of mention - the older (S)NES games were great. Civilization series is also going to top any list.

The Command & Conquer, while not something I am a devout fan of, has had a significant impact on that genre.

GTA would never cross my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

The Total War series?
            The Warcraft series?
            The Warlords series?

-Jam

Im wondering if its fair to include SMAC/SMAX along with the 3 civs in one series.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well....They both have the exact same gameplay.
              SMACX just happens to take it to another level.
              It's kind of like not including Civ2 because its more advanced than Civ1.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Wern't they build on the same engine, or least parts of it? hmm I think it was.

They are basically the game, just differnt graphics and names.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

The Total War series?
                  The Warcraft series?
                  The Warlords series?

-Jam
                  Indeed! Not to mention numerous adventure game series.

Comment

That's what I thought too.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Indeed,
                      Kings quest,
                      Monkey island,

What's the one with the video-footage again (from Sierra)?
                      Set in Germany(Bayreuth?) , about King Ludwig, and something about an opera theme?
                      At the time, I almost completed it and now I don't have the disks anymore

On the tip of my tongue it is...
                      Aaargh, must...know....before..going...to..bed...

Comment

Gabriel knight, that's it !!!

Comment

Isn't it based on the opera "Parcival" from Richard Wagner?

-Jam

Comment

Not sure about Parcival, but it was something to do with Wagner.

I think I even visited teh castle featured in that game.

Comment

GTA1&2 were definately asskicking (especially in multiplayer... ah the sheer fun when doing 8 player-clashes, the carnage!!!)

GTA3's graphics were ****ed up on my computer, and as a result I thought the game sucked pretty hard.
                              I have installed Vice City today and I don't seem to have these gfx problems so it looks promising. Nevertheless a game such as this just needs to have an mp section. Still don't udnerstand why they didn't implement that. It would be a huge success

PS: The gameplay in GTA3 and VC is really different however, and I kinda liked GTA1&2's style even though the gfx were far inferior!
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                              X