Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTML Apolyton 5-a-side football (in development)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I play a long-ball game?
    Because in the OFFICAL five-a-side rules the ball must not go over head height (free kick)
    • Vovan (sub)
    • Spaced
    • alva
    • Hueji (keeper)
    • Spike
    • Zopperoni???
    • Frozzy
    • Urban Ranger
    • Duck o' York

Nearly full...

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

That's as maybe, but unless you're all incredibly feeble then I doubt that anyone would have much difficulty in kicking/passing it further than the next box on your pitch diagram. You could improve the chances of opposition players intercepting the ball, or only allow the ball to be passed to unmarked players over a longer distance (while allowing the Civ 2 airlift intercept possibility), but only having short passes will not make the game flow as quickly from defence to attack as it could.

Comment

I thought about it... but this may make a long pass FAR too powerful.

Hmmm... long pass only to unmarked players... could be good. But then its really obvious to try to intercept or tackle an unmarked player in your adjacent square, incase he gets the ball...

What the hell. Like the thread title says, its "in development" Why not allow long passes to unmarked players (i.e. players in a box on their own)

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Well that way the players on the same team will have to try to outwit the defenders in order to receive a pass. To use your diagram from above, if Jones had the ball then he could try a long pass forwards. If Wallance came one square towards him, then it'd be a short pass and would be successful (depending upon what Beckham did). Otherwise, Boggins could move into the centre in front of the goal, and there would be another passing option for Jones. If Beckham came to tackle Jones, then obviously neither pass could take place, but if he moved sideways to intercept the pass to Wallance, or back to try to tackle Boggins, then he would leave the other player free to receive the pass (if Jones chose correctly) This would require communication between the team members (if you wanted to ban PMs, this could be most interesting, and very lucky if someone scored) in order to create chances. Just like real football.
          Did this make sense?

Comment

Yeah this makes sense. All move are calculated from the start positions though. So if Beckham passes it long to Cosmo, while Cosmo
            moves towards Becks, then its still a long pass. Not that that would matter.

Yeah, I would expect the team to discuss tactics. But of course I don't expect everyone will trust thier team mates either. I would hog the ball and go for goal

NOTE : I didn't mention this before, but if you tackle someone, who is running to another square, both players end the turn in the square the ball-holding-player was in BEFORE they ran. That is to say that the tackle STOPS the run happening. Same with an intercept. If you intercept a player who is in one square, but in the same turn they ran to another square, the reciving player still runs, but the intercepting player gets the ball in the square that the recieving player started in.

This stops anyone moving two squares in one turn.

-Jam

Comment

Banning within team PMs is not a good idea given the tendency of some people around here to try and fix things.

Comment

I guess that the goalies remain in the goal for the whole game, and not in the square in front of the goal. When the goalie has the ball, then what is to stop the opposition taking up all three squares adjacent to him, and preventing the ball ever leaving that end?

Comment

The goalies can stand in any square they like. I suggest the one in front of the goal, as this is the best one to shoot from. Of course, we HAVE to have the long-pass rule now.

-Jam

Comment

Eugh, at least for the first game, try to keep things simple
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was playing around with the code you posted to make the pitch Jamski and er, miserably failed to add an extra two lines and an extra two columns to your pitch. Oops. Never was a tech monkey.

I think that a larger pitch (in terms of number of squares) would be better, allowing players to only run one square per turn, but pass it two squares. This way you could play passes into space, and let your teammates run onto them, because at the moment you can only pass as far as you could run anyway, so what's the point of passing?

Comment

Divide each square by 4 ( cross-schaped), is that what you are saying?
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Any offsides rules?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                            Divide each square by 4 ( cross-schaped), is that what you are saying?
                            No, just have 5 "pitch" columns, and 7 "pitch" rows, so the pitch is larger overall. The size of the squares would have to be reduced, but the playing area would grow slightly. The more squares there are, the more tactical it will become, and it will not just be a case of getting all five players, and the ball, onto 1 square, and piling forward en masse so that you automatically tackle back anyone who takes the ball. See Xin Yu's Stack of Doom FIFA coaching manual for details.

Originally posted by UR
                            Any offsides rules?
                            This is 5-a-side. Goal-hanging is compulsory, especially for old fat blokes who can't run up and down the pitch all the time.

Comment

and it will not just be a case of getting all five players, and the ball, onto 1 square, and piling forward en masse so that you automatically tackle back anyone who takes the ball

hmm, you mean realistic English football

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                                Any offsides rules?
                                If off-side is introduced I sure don't want to be a GM

Comment

Working...
                                X