Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured it out

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Nope. I used 7th edition as the starter pack and 5 Invasion packs as boosters (this is probably where I went wrong). I told it to generate a deck with 40 minimum cards. Got the "out of bound error," and it gave me a bunch of lands. Nothing else.

Tried it again just now. Still doesn't work. This time, I specified using the 7th edition as the starter, with 2 Visions and 2 Planeshifts as boosters. I got a total of 22 basic lands before it bombed out.

If I removed the starter deck, I got 30 cards from the 2 Visions pack before it went poof. If I specified no minium deck size, it gave me 30 cards from Visions before going belly up.

I also got this message at the bottom "Drafting [Planeshift]..."

More upate: it works if I specify only one type of pack. It worked perfectly when I entered 4x Visions. Got 60 cards with no errors.

Even more updates: Unfortunately, only booster packs work that way. No starter decks.
    Okay. The truth is it works with some starters and boosters. For example, 4th edition works, 7th doesn't. Visions works, Planeshift doesn't. It looks like it works with the older stuff, not the newer ones. Strange

Preliminary testing shows that everything up to Urza's Destiny works. Anything after that doesn't.

Snowfire,

Did you apply the Oracle Text patch?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      ah

I like playing with 60 card decks a bit more

but maybe it is what I am use to

Jon Miller
      40-card decks have much faster speed. That's why there's a lower limit on number of cards in tournaments, but no upper limit.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

in 40 card decks you are much more likely to get the cards you want

40 card decks usually beat 60 card decks

I like the feel of 60 card decks better

it is almost always the best to be at the minimum number for a deck (Sometiems 1 or 2 over won't hurt)

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What you really need is an unofficial, unsanctioned version of Magic: Online. But with all the cards, not just the last three expansions. I guess you'd have to do the effects manually, because coding them all would be hell.
          Immortal Wombat:

All we need is a massive database of all the MtG cards in existence, listing their features if we go this route, and some kind of random number generator, assigning each card a cardnumber and a frequency number.

Still can't get apprentice to work, so I am going to try downloading everything again.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

UR: I certainly know that ME was an upgrade of 98 (just as 2000 was an upgrade of NT), but I thought it might have some mode where it got rid of its ME features.

And no, I'm using an older version that has up to Legions, haven't downloaded the Oracle/Scourge patch yet. I'll try that.

JM: Certainly, 60 card decks are better for constructed, because 40 card constructed decks are way too consistent. That said, draft, where you're more likely to be playing small decks with inconsistent mana fixers... it's nice to have some consistency when you only got one super-ultra card and want to use it in at least a few games. So it comes down to how many boosters & starters you use... with a small amount, like 1 starter & 2 boosters, there's really no choice but 40 cards. If as you suggested, we grab 10 starters or some other huge amount of cards, then sure, 60 card decks sounds good to me.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Dammit guys! Am I on everyones ignore list?

Here's the link

http://www.perldragon.com/~suitcase/

This worked fine for me.... Try it out. I cannot cause I have no PC at home and I cannot install it at work.

Comment

New version is beta though.

So what exactly do I need to download to use this Suitcase thing?

Comment

Why? Cant you just simply download it and install?
                  You dont need any additional software...

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                    Why? Cant you just simply download it and install?
                    You dont need any additional software...
                    Well, there's all that extra stuff, Access patch, DAO patch, etc. I am wondering what do I need.

Comment

Oh, I see... Darn. The last time I used Magic Suitcase it was MUCH simpler. Just downloaded it, installed and voila... ready to use.

But if it say extra, I'd just skip it....

Comment

UR:

Suitcase seems to work fine for me. I get a database of all the existing Magic cards, including the latest set just from downloading the file posted by Daz

I have not tried the random deck draws, or the sealed deck.

Dinodoc:

PM'ed you as per your request.
                        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 4, 2003, 11:31.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

ok

I can see the database

it does not appear that scourge is in, but I could be wrong

I did not really see how to work the sealed deck and did not even see the possibility of random deck draws

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Under features is says:

Deck Testing:
                            Magic Suitcase can also be used to playtest the decks you have created. Using a fully graphical drag and drop virtual tabletop, you can test your newly created deck against another deck. Now you can fine tune your deck before putting it in action against a live opponent.

Sealed Pack Generation:
                            Magic Suitcase makes it easy to generate a random virtual Starter Box or Booster Pack of any edition or expansion set of cards. With a couple of mouse clicks you can create a sealed deck which you can then use to practice making a deck for sealed deck tournaments.

These are the things we need. I guess they are there, just a matter of finding them...

Comment

hmm

I played arround some

it might be usable

deffinitely not as easy as it could be

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Still some annoying bugs.

I have a few decks made, though I haven't figured out how to playtest the decks.

This is very much a Beta, lots of promise, but also lots of puzzling bugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X