Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$85.98 per sheet of plywood that cost $14.06" -- AP report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $85.98 per sheet of plywood that cost $14.06" -- AP report.

Ok, son. Here's your chance.

I pointed this out, as a side issue, but think it really deserves more space.
    People make a big deal over the cost of government-related projects and material.
    Unless you've worked at a Defense Contractor, you don't realize the costs incurred by the company.

Every single supplier to the Defense Contractor has to be site surveyed.
    Every piece of material used has to face a withering specification check, both in Receiving Inspection and through the assembly process.
    There are Government Inspectors in-house.

You add it all up, and what do you get?
    I'll tell you what you get.
    Plywood selling for $85.98 per sheet.

So, ok. Flame on, but facts are facts.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

And I'll post my comment from before:

Save taxpayer money,

Buy Canadian wood.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

this is why we need less defense spending on fake plywood tanks. ze germans cant be fooled twice!
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Do you ever have any trepidations about flying on an airplane built by the lowest bidder?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Halburton is politically connected and can charge what it damn well pleases? There is no way regulation and inspection costs 70$ a sheet. Costs my ass, defense contractors are among the most profitable companies there are.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You can't demand that the armed forces should cut down on the costs, can you? I mean, no matter the size of the tax cuts that will take away badly needed funds from education and social issues the armed forces clearly needs even more money to inspect their materials even more. Nothing is after all to good for the boys and girls in a american uniform!

Comment

No. Nice try. Very insightful.

But once again you have no frame of reference.

As in, you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Comment

Slowwhand, its rather ridiculous of you to purposefully target che with every post you make, every breath you take, cause you know we'll be watching you.
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

[slowwy mode]

He's a big boy, MRT. He can take care of himself.

[/slowwy mode]
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Che knows. He'll be ok.

Comment

The solution to this is to cut regulations which require triple checks on everything that is sold to the military. Instead there should be a dollar cut off; if an item costs less then X number of dollars then the triple checks can be waved and the items can be used. There is simply no point spending $50 inspecting an item which costs $20.

Also, as someone who worked for the military for six years I can tell you that it was damn hard to come across inspected plywood in Kosovo. The contractors weren't allowed to buy many items off of the local economy so replacements had to be shipped in from the U.S. . Congressman make these assinine requires to try to boost government spending in their home districts; it's old fashioned protectionism plain and simple.

The sad truth is the tax payer gets hit hard by these nonsensical regulations.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

But who's at fault, if there is fault?

Certainly not the contractor.
                        The contractor is doing what they're told.

Comment

i wanted an excuse to make a parody of a sting song

Comment

I got that, MRT.
                            You didn't think you could slide lyrics by me un-noticed, did you ?

Comment

The contractors are following these bad regulations but they're still making nice fat profit margins. The solution is to cut regulations and cap the amount of mark up a company like Brown & Roote can charge. Something like how the utilities are allowed a simple cost plus a certain percentage.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X