X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming out

Yeah, yeah, so it's a 'look at me' thread. But I don't care:

I came out to my parents today. Just a couple minutes ago, in fact.

I don't know why I did it. This afternoon, I just felt like I should do it. I wanted to do it before dinner, but we were in a hurry to go out the door, so we just left. I wanted to do it right after dinner, but my brother was home. My brother left to go get fast-food dinner drive-thru (he's watching the playoffs), and I just got my mom from upstairs, told her to come downstairs to the living room (where my dad was) because we needed to talk.

So we all just sat down in different chairs, I smiled, "So...there's something you guys should know". My dad closes his book and puts it on the endtable and looks at me intently. There's a long, uncomfortable pause. I just blurt out, simply, "I'm gay."

Another pause.

Mom: "Really?"
    Me: "Yeah..."
    Dad: "You're sure, then?"
    Me: "Yeah..."
    Mom: "Hmm...okay."
    Dad: "Well, that doesn't change anything."

My dad then told me I should tell the doctor that I'm gay, because it might be related to my anxiety. We talked for like 2 minutes after that, most of it was me saying stuff like "So that's it?".

It was very very, weird. It felt like an out-of-body experience, you know? I didn't even feel like I was myself when I told them "I'm gay", I had this weird tingly sensation all over my body, and I was looking straight at the coffee table in the center when I said it. I didn't feel like I should make eyecontact.

And that's that. I thought it would feel better to get it off my chest, but it doesn't feel much better. My brother still doesn't know, and my parents don't think I should tell him. They think he's too immature to "handle something like that".

Maybe I'll feel better about it in the coming days, when I'm not stressing out over finals and the reality of it starts to sink in.

I'm up in my room on the computer, my mom's back in the den playing Scrabble on the computer, and my dad's reading again. I'm somewhat surprise how it was such a non-event, given how terribly conservative my parents are.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Perhaps they already guessed?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well it sounds like they are cool with it.

Sounds like it'll probably take a few days for everything to sink in.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Perhaps they already guessed?
        There's a chance. I've never acted "gay", I watch hockey and all that, but maybe they noticed me paying attention to guys a lot in public or something.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Do they know you're Canadian? That's the shocker...
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            Do they know you're Canadian? That's the shocker...
            Only half, Lancer, only half...

Comment

I thought you were bi.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

i came out to my dad last year...as an april fools joke, the old git didn't believe it for a second though :/
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  I thought you were bi.
                  Long story. I am, and I'm not.

As time goes on, I find myself leaning more and more to the gay side of the scale. Women are just too much work, although they're certainly attractive in many cases.

I decided to come out as gay. Coming out as bi would be just too complicated, they'd wonder why I don't just get a girlfriend if I can swing both ways, and if I ever just never get a girlfriend they think I was being dishonest to them.

So I thought I'd come out as gay, and then if I get a girlfriend, it would be a "bonus" to them.

Comment

oh btw, glad they were cool about it
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Update: My mom just came into my room to talk to me. She told me I should "watch who I tell", and asked who else knows about it. I get the feeling that she's actually not really okay with it (she's talked about having grandkids an awful lot) and is just putting on a "brave face" so as to not offend me...

But she also rubbed my back and told me that she wishes I would have told her earlier.

Comment

I decided to come out as gay. Coming out as bi would be just too complicated, they'd wonder why I don't just get a girlfriend if I can swing both ways, and if I ever just never get a girlfriend they think I was being dishonest to them.

I guess I can see the logic. However, I've always thought that one of the things that parents find the hardest about having a child come out is the knowledge that their child will never have children of their own. Coming out as a bisexual might have negated this worry in your parents.

OTOH, they sound as if they are handling it pretty well, so I guess softening the blow wasn't really necessary. Hope everything works out as well as it has so far. Good luck.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          I guess I can see the logic. However, I've always thought that one of the things that parents find the hardest about having a child come out is the knowledge that their child will never have children of their own. Coming out as a bisexual might have negated this worry in your parents.
                          Yeah, that's true. I'd considered that.

The problem is, the general consensus from many conservatives is if you're bisexual, you'd only be gay for fun and games and you'd eventually get a woman, marry, and have kids.

That's why they would probably consider it softer, but I can never see myself getting married or having kids, so I thought I wouldn't mislead them.

Comment

That's why they would probably consider it softer, but I can never see myself getting married or having kids, so I thought I wouldn't mislead them.

If you really can't see yourself getting married and having kids, then I think you made the right call. No use getting your parents hopes up if you don't think it is a realistic outcome. Your folks will assume that you are gay and if you do happen to meet a girl you love, then it will be a "bonus" as you said. Clever boy; it almost seems like you'd put some thought into this...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Good news, Asher.

I'm glad it seems to have gone well for you. It has gone well, right?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X