My turn to ask for a book....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to ask for a book....

Can someone recommend me a good book about China´s history, esp. after WWII, including recent years? Of course additional info about earlier periods wouldn´t be bad, but aren´t my biggest concern.

Oh, and in English
    Blah

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ming (1368 - 1644)
      Then came the Ming. The Ming rulers distinguished themselves by being fatter, lazier, crazier, and nastier than the average Imperial family.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Oh, that was quick. Many thanks

Other suggestions are of course still welcome
        Blah

Comment

"Ming"
          Blah

Comment

Evidently it's a fairly accurate site.

Comment

Slowwhand:
              The Ming rulers distinguished themselves by being fatter, lazier, crazier, and nastier than the average Imperial family.
              Sig material?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Definately. But "Then came the Ming" is also not bad
                Blah

Comment

Both are suitable for framing.

And the best part? That's straight from the site.
                  No manipulation required.

Comment

The Cambridge History of China is all you need...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Thanks, but isn´t that a series were each book costs more than 150 dollar? I´m not sure, I just saw once an example at amazon...
                      Blah

Comment

Thanks, but isn´t that a series were each book costs more than 150 dollar? I´m not sure, I just saw once an example at amazon...

Ohh, you're looking to buy a book. I thought you were going to hit a library...

Yeah, if you're looking to buy then the Cambridge History is way out of your (or anyone's) price range. 14 or 15 books at $150 a pop =

Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of any good, cheap, single-volume works that cover China after WWII. It's not really my area of expertise. The few books I can think of are all devoted to specific topics during that period (Great Leap Forward, Cultural Revolution, etc.). Sorry I can't be of more help; I hope someone else can think of something.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Don´t worry, I can look in the library too....
                          Blah

Comment

Sig material now added
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Try 'The Great Chinese Revolution, 1800-1985'

by John King Fairbank, published by Picador . It's probably the best single volume book so far on that period of China's history.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X