Liberal Majority In Quebec!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberal Majority In Quebec!

(There hasn't been a thread on this, eh? Couldn't find one...)

From CBC.ca:

QUEBEC VOTE 2003

PARTY LEADING ELECTED
    Liberals 0 76
    PQ 0 45
    ADQ 0 4
    Other 0 0

Quebec Liberals cruise to majority government
    Last Updated Tue, 15 Apr 2003 0:46:36
    MONTREAL - The Liberals won a majority government in Quebec Monday night, making Jean Charest the next premier of the province.

It is Charest's first victory as leader of the provincial party after stepping down as leader of the federal Progressive Conservatives.

The Liberals defeated the ruling Parti Québécois and Bernard Landry; and Mario Dumont's upstart Action démocratique du Québec.

All three party leaders won their ridings.

Calling it a mandate for change and renewal, premier-designate Charest, promised to work for all Quebecers.

"Today Quebecers gave the Liberal Party of Quebec a government in the service of its citizens. Quebecers have given us their confidence. We will live up to it," said Charest.

In his concession speech, Landry thanked party supporters and congratulated Charest.

"I have to congratulate very warmly the leader of the Liberal party who has conducted his troops to a very impressive victory which was owed to them," said Landry.

Speaking to dejected supporters, Dumont vowed to continue developing the party's relationship with English speakers in the province.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien expressed his satisfaction with the vote, reading the results to guests at a state dinner in the Dominican Republic. The prime minister is there on an official visit.

"It is for me an element of satisfaction. It's a confirmation that the threat of separation has disappeared. This is very, very good for Canada, " said prime minister.

Charest's campaign focused on health care. He promised to cut government subsidies, tax credits to big businesses and trim the civil service. Charest also predicted Parti Québécois leader Bernard Landry would call another sovereignty referendum of elected.

The final dagger in the heart of seperationism?

(Well, at least in Quebec...)
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

At least we don't have a provincial seperatist party here in BC.

Very good news indeed.

What's the vote distribution for the Conservative seats?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Liberal Majority In Quebec!

Originally posted by cinch

Not a chance. The idea has been around for a very long time and one election is not going to make it go away.
      What?

Comment

Where are our Quebec people? Usually a Canadian thread is huge.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Liberals suck! They dont care about the futur of our province may iot be with or without Canada. They dont care about all the baby boomers that are going to retire within 10 years. That's 44% less people that pay taxes....And they want to drop taxes and raise health care How are they gonna cope in a couple of years?! By raising taxes again?

ADQ RULES!!! MARIO DUMONT FOR PRESIDENT!! He's young and still clean from all corroption and power! Let him take head while there is still time!
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator

ADQ RULES!!! MARIO DUMONT FOR PRESIDENT!! He's young and still clean from all corroption and power! Let him take head while there is still time!
            Do you know where Mario Dumont comes from ? Did you know that he was the president of the youth wing of the Parti Libéral du Québec in the early 90's ?
            Do you know why he quit and formed the ADQ ? Because Robert Bourassa - then premier of Québec - refused to make good on his promise to hold a referendum on Quebec's independance and instead campaigned with the Feds for approval of the Charlottetown accord.
            Dumont supported Jean Allaire and quit the Liberals after they did a 180% and abandoned their own program and gave their backing to the accord. He went on to create the ADQ.
            (http://www.plq.org/cj/historique.htm)
            So you could say that the guy who went to Toronto to tell Bay street that sovereignty was an old idea, an old debate, basically created his party to protest over the Liberals refusing to have a referendum on separation.

But that's OK : we're used to people doing 180%'s in Quebec politics:

Jean Charest : Leader of the Feds Conservatives to leader of the Quebec Liberals. Now Premier.
            Lucien Bouchard : Minister under Mulrooney's Feds. Conservatives to leader of the Parti Quebecois and premier of Quebec. Hell: he almost won the 95 referendum by himself!

What?

Comment

Yes I knew that, and I still think he should be the prime minister of Quebec.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Re: Liberal Majority In Quebec!

Originally posted by cinch
                (There hasn't been a thread on this, eh? Couldn't find one...)

From CBC.ca:

QUEBEC VOTE 2003

PARTY LEADING ELECTED
                Liberals 0 76
                PQ 0 45
                ADQ 0 4
                Other 0 0

Quebec Liberals cruise to majority government
                Last Updated Tue, 15 Apr 2003 0:46:36
                MONTREAL - The Liberals won a majority government in Quebec Monday night, making Jean Charest the next premier of the province.

It is Charest's first victory as leader of the provincial party after stepping down as leader of the federal Progressive Conservatives.

The Liberals defeated the ruling Parti Québécois and Bernard Landry; and Mario Dumont's upstart Action démocratique du Québec.

All three party leaders won their ridings.

Calling it a mandate for change and renewal, premier-designate Charest, promised to work for all Quebecers.

"Today Quebecers gave the Liberal Party of Quebec a government in the service of its citizens. Quebecers have given us their confidence. We will live up to it," said Charest.

In his concession speech, Landry thanked party supporters and congratulated Charest.

"I have to congratulate very warmly the leader of the Liberal party who has conducted his troops to a very impressive victory which was owed to them," said Landry.

Speaking to dejected supporters, Dumont vowed to continue developing the party's relationship with English speakers in the province.

Prime Minister Jean Chrétien expressed his satisfaction with the vote, reading the results to guests at a state dinner in the Dominican Republic. The prime minister is there on an official visit.

"It is for me an element of satisfaction. It's a confirmation that the threat of separation has disappeared. This is very, very good for Canada, " said prime minister.

Charest's campaign focused on health care. He promised to cut government subsidies, tax credits to big businesses and trim the civil service. Charest also predicted Parti Québécois leader Bernard Landry would call another sovereignty referendum of elected.

Well, BIG surprise.
                Isn't that where the French have been sequestered?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How long had the PQ been in power?
                  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
                    How long had the PQ been in power?
                    Long enough to f**k up our economy!

Spec.

Comment

Richelieu called it right. Issues over Quebec sovereignty have been going on for a very long time and won't easily disappear. It is an improvement to see the Liberals in charge but the opposition, where voters may look to as an alternative to the Liberals in four years, is still a party committed to separation.

I am not clear on what Sloww was asking. If it is 'isn't separation sentiments confined to French-speaking Quebecers?' the answer is no. Western alienation could lead to separatist sentiments, particularly in Alberta. Getting rid of the PM who confesses to not liking working with westerners by year end, would be a good first step in reducing those tensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator

Long enough to f**k up our economy!

Spec.
                        I actually saw the answer at lunch. It's only been 9 years. I was surprised, feels like it's been longer!

Comment

yup -- PQ has had two terms and I read that no Quebec governmnet has ever served for 3 terms.

As for a dagger in the heart of separation, it may very well be . . . I understand that there are still a fair number of immigrants coming into Quebec . . . and immigrants vote overwhelmingly against separation. Does anyone have a sense of francophone versus anglophone/other birthrates and immigration in the province? Because demographics could kill the issue as a real threat in a way no politician ever could.
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yea we know, nut our birth rate is alarmingly down so the government makes it easy for immigrants to come in...I'm all for it...and dont get me wrong, I love Canada, but I would love for Quebec to be a country.

Not because I hate Canada, just because there is no way "we" will ever get along. Too many ignorant people on both sides so if we just get our seperation, it will finaly be over with.

Spec.

Comment

I'm not allowed personnal attacks, but I think this thread cannot be considered serious, just by looking at who posted a few times like he knew what he was talking about.
                              I wonder if the ADQ has good policies about speed limits and such...

Comment

Working...
                              X