Eight Thousand Years of Civilization ...gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Thousand Years of Civilization ...gone

The Iraqi National Museum in Baghdad has been looted over the last few days. According to CBC reports, the curators of the museum had asked for American assistance in protecting the treasures even before American troops entered the city. None was forthcoming.

Artifacts from the early Mesopotamian & Babylonian civilizations were taken. Larger pieces of statuary were vandalized - several statues had heads & limbs hacked off and stolen.

The damage is irreplaceable, of course.

Long after George W Bush becomes a footnote, this incident will be remembered and mourned.

I guess we should look to EBay for bargains soon.

Should America pay for this tragedy ?
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Um why? The kicking out of Saddam is worth this minor looting, which btw, was done by Iraqis and not American soldiers.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Antiquities have been swiped after wars for at least 8000 years, and guess what, civilizations still here.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I imagine some will be recovered, I mean how long can u wash ur hands in a 4000 year old plate before deciding maybe u should sell it?

Comment

While not our fault, it's still a great tragedy.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think it shows clearly, that the immediate restoration of order seems to not actually matter to US troops. They showed up for 30 minutes during days of looting, fired some shots and left. It probably would have taken a handful of US soldiers to prevent the rampant looting of the museum, but, of course, does the US care enough? Clearly not.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

I think it shows clearly, that the immediate restoration of order seems to not actually matter to US troops

Um duh. The immediate goal is to secure the country. Restoration of order is AFTER that.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                I think it shows clearly, that the immediate restoration of order seems to not actually matter to US troops. They showed up for 30 minutes during days of looting, fired some shots and left. It probably would have taken a handful of US soldiers to prevent the rampant looting of the museum, but, of course, does the US care enough? Clearly not.
                Yeah, and if they had shot a bunch of looters, I'm sure everyone would be complaining about that.
                "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

This collection was unique in the world. It contained artifacts from the earliest civilized period in the middle east; one of the earliest civ sites in the world.

The curators guarded the museum during the Iran/Iraq war and only retreated this time when it was obvious the US troups had no interest in helping them.

This wasn't the Saddam Museum. This was a rare world treasure. The US could have done something, but didn't.

Of course, the victor gets to write history. I guess with the museum looted the US might try to put forth a more convincing case that Iraqi civilization began with the 2003 liberation.

But the world is watching in disgust as Iraq is being left to anarchy and Americans troups do diddly. This is a dark day for civilization.

Maybe a Starbucks® will be opened on the site.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

The US could have done something, but didn't.

What exactly? I mean, they had been fighting in Baghdad University over the last few days. But, the war doesn't matter, they should have put armed guards at the museum instead, right?

Comment

to some extent I think the idea of the american military entering baghdad and immediately arresting/shooting ppl for doing civil crimes would be seen poorly by the iraqi's.

we should protect the hospitals/etc. but there's no better way to overstay ur welcome then the instant u get in to act like the dictator u just kicked out.

Comment

Oh no! Millenium old plates are going to actually have people eating from them! US troops should be tried for war crimes!
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Jesus, you morons will find a way to blame anything on the US, won't you?
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Come on Jaquar. You would have to have a black heart not to think that this occurrence sucks.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It does. But the thread creator wouldn't have started this thread if, say, there was a fire there. It only because there were US troops somewhere near the building that could have possibly saved it. Hence it is the US's fault.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X