No announcement yet.

Should there be a Kurdish State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rothy, the only problem is that the Turkish Cypriots may have something to say about that.

And I'd like to see you take Kurdish lands from Turkey .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'm all for it. Kurds need their own place like the rest of us, that really is theirs. I don't support taking lands from Turkey though, since it would cost great instability which would be unnecessary there, like they don't have enough problems. But it'll happen sooner or later, so better sooner.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• BTW every Kurd seems to be fighting... Everyone...

From young

to old

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          And I'd like to see you take Kurdish lands from Turkey .
          I agree... that just isn't going to happen. But I think the Kurds might settle for Northern Iraq... And it's going to drive the Turks absolutely crazy....
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Japher,
            there are other ways of getting your oil to its destination without fighting a war...

It's called...TRADE...
            I understand that, but I don't think that it would be a far fetched notion that war will occur because of the future Kurdistan being landlocked and sitting on a goldmine.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Rothy, the only problem is that the Turkish Cypriots may have something to say about that.

Actually they said it loud... but noone listened to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

I understand that, but I don't think that it would be a far fetched notion that war will occur because of the future Kurdistan being landlocked and sitting on a goldmine.

A port is not "salvation" if you can't protect it militarily too. And since you can't have sea trade while having your frigates firing at the enemy (needs to be some kind of calm) it is almost the same as not having a port. If you have good relations with even one neighboring country which has a port, you're ok.

Comment

• Quite correct Imran.... but it would make better viewing on TV than the formality that was Iraq.
                  Up The Millers

Comment

• ALOT of Ifs there... I'm not saying that the Kurds have a hard time getting a long with their neighbors... oh, yeah, wait... that is exactly what I am saying. And why not the neighbors are all the same way too; proud.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

• I'm also all for them getting N. Iraq lands, not Turkey lands. And if Turkey has something to complain about it, be my guest. I think their opinion should not be deciding factor. But no lands from Turkey. Then it would be too complicated and bloody.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• they're quite proud

but it has been doing fine so far economically wise.

Comment

• No, the Kurds should not be able to secede. Shias are already a majority in Iraq as is, we need as many non shias as possible to counteract that.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• That doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher

You could be right there, but I don't see why it will be the Kurds fighting for a port. It is more likely that they will be attacked for the oil they will posses.

It is such a shame that you put down the rights of the kurds for self-governance, be it a state or other form of self-governance by saying they will start a fight with their neighbours for a port.

And in fact the oil from northern Iraq has been finding its way to the worlds markets for the past 12 years via land-routes in Turkey and Syria, so I don't see why it could not continue. And there are pipelines as well, but now blocked through the UN sanctions.

Kurdish self-governance
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                                No, the Kurds should not be able to secede. Shias are already a majority in Iraq as is, we need as many non shias as possible to counteract that.
                                Devide and Rule
                                Operation "Iraqi Freedom" is allready roaring its ugly head...

Way to go Shi, Iraq is not liberated yet, and allready you are starting to point at the next group of people that needs to be targeted and be excluded from their own choices.
                                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                                X