• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA screws over some dudes @ my uni

some links:

slashdot article
    riaa press release
    chewplastic forums

basically, this kid is getting sued for over 90 BILLION DOLLARS for making nothign more than an interface to an already existing service (network file sharing).

GAH!!!!

theres also another kid that's got the same deal, but he's been much quieter about it.

we're planning to raise money / hold a rally for this kid. what are your views?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

You're going to raise 97 billion dollars? Good luck .
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

So this wasn't anything sexual? I was thinking RIAA is playing hardball now.

90 Billion Dollars? I lost all my words, my mind is now blank. Help your buddy, he needs all support he gets..
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

do they accept credit cards? He might need a little help for refinanacing.

oh, and obviously, complete bull****.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm too lazy to surf those forums.

Where's the 90 billion dollars?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If I knew the answer to that question, I wouldn't be sitting here.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

90 billion dollars? What a joke.
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is another link on the story. http://www.boycott-riaa.com/article/6403
                Obviously this is an attempt to intimidate the college students of the world into not sharing files. Of course, this will do little other than convince more people not to buy RIAA products, for fear of funding the "evil empire".

Comment

Ooh, the RIAA article on their actions is as laden with bias as Faux News. Wow, it's even factually inaccurate

The perpetrators of these internal Napster networks named in the suits filed by the RIAA make use of software known variously as Flatlan, Phynd or Direct Connect. All of them work much like Napster, centrally indexing and processing search requests for copyrighted works. And they permit users to download any of those works with the single click of a mouse.
                  -As well as anything else which is being shared which might not be copyrighted, but of course that part escapes the RIAA. To be really pedantic: Oh, and last I checked, all you can do with a single mouse click is select a file, not also download it.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

/me hopes that the guy who develops Phynd will prove that his search engine is not illegal itself and thus the lawsuit is frivolous (or something, IANAL and don't even watch those who play ones on TV)... then sue RIAA for 90 billion dollars, saying "Hey, at least you can afford it... can you? " *

Of course it's pointless! That's the... point of this post!
                    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis Oh, and last I checked, all you can do with a single mouse click is select a file, not also download it.
                      But "with a single click of a mouse" makes it sound much more easy than "with a double-click of a mouse." Clearly that gives them the right to distort their facts, no?
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

BTW I love how communists, democrats, republicans, and libertarians can all agree on one thing.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

ROTFLAMO! Get ACLU and Electronic Frontier to give him a hand.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
                            BTW I love how communists, democrats, republicans, and libertarians can all agree on one thing.
                            I agree! It is my favorite part of RIAA threads. Even a rightist, MS fanboy like Asher hates the RIAA!

"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together...."

Comment

Yep, the RIAA is like Speer or Giannie.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X