Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes us human?

As opposed to an animal?

Whether you assume we were created by God, or evolved from animals... what makes us distinct from them?

Or probably the best would be your perceived "most important" distinction... tick few if you cannot decide.
    Soul
    9.56%
    Mind
    10.29%
    Moral Values
    8.09%
    Religion/ sense of supernatural
    7.35%
    Art/ Creativity
    11.03%
    Science/ logical reasoning / a+b=c
    11.03%
    Philosophy/ ability of abstract thinking
    16.91%
    language/ communication
    9.56%
    All of the above
    6.62%
    Nah we are just a well developed banana
    9.56%
    Last edited by OneFootInTheGrave; April 1, 2003, 19:13.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

who's human? I'm a giant banana slug.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I chose logic, abstract thinking and communication.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

There are many things that make us different compared to other animals, but that is by defintion true of all species.

The complexity of our brain is what makes us the dominant species. Everything else flows from that (language, logic etc...). Other animals have these abilities, just not as refined as ours.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Not much of a surprise, but I vote:

Genesis 1:27

So God created man in his own image,
          in the image of God he created him;
          male and female he created them.

Which I suppose counts as soul.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

This is a trick question because all those attributes can also be found in an animal or a computer.

Comment

What makes us human?
              The ability to ask, and attempt to answer, that question.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Well a computer could have a more complex "mind" soon... as for animals they could as well have souls

'

one thing that appears that only humans have from the above is the sense of supernatural ...
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

vet, when are animals creative without human prodding, when are computers logical without human prodding, whens the last time you saw an animal and a computer debate ayn rand?
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Animals can be creative without humans - they learn stuff, like new feeding grounds, how to sort out physical obstacles ..etc...

computers on the other hand could/are pushed towards creativity/randomness call it what you like with advances in AI.

Comment

One foot, actually instinct to adapt wouldnt really what i would consider creative.

its the fact that we use our creativity to do things that arent related to our survival which is what i find astounding
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Slef preservation does not separate us from the beast, nor do the means by which it is accomplished. What separates us is the will, or reasons why, we chose to do so, or in some cases chose not to do so...
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

As opposed to being an animal?
                          That's one of the main things that makes us human.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

well it is not always just instinct... I am sure that the plays that dolphins have or some other animals that just bind their time could be classed as creativity. And as far as I have watched they have some sort of better communication between themselves too...

Comment

i voted art, more specifically, jewellry, face painting etc. the ability to understand how others percieve us

Comment

Working...
                              X