Why is going to college selling out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is going to college selling out?

never understood this... why is it that when someone is trying to make something of themselves by going to college and all that some people start saying they selling out or trying to act white and all that? makes no sense... to try to succeed means you selling out?

is this kind of idea prevalent in other areas or is it just a lower-class thing?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

It's called jealousy

Those who can go... go. Those that can't or don't try are the ones selling themselves short...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Because if you dont stick together, it can be considered "selling out" under one's perspective.
      :-p

Comment

Sticking together so you can all be lossers sounds pretty stupid to me. It's a fact, if you have a college degree it is more likely you will succeed...
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          It's called jealousy

Those who can go... go. Those that can't or don't try are the ones selling themselves short...
          Actually they are "buying in"... i guess...

Comment

Sticking together so you can all be lossers sounds pretty stupid to me. It's a fact, if you have a college degree it is more likely you will succeed...
            I think its everyone's instinct to drag someone along with you when you fail. I just experienced this today. My friend wasnt sure if the dishes were clean. I assured him it was and just because there was one cup that wasnt clean(maybe someone accidentally put that cup into the cabinet completely by passing the washing process ) doesnt mean whole stock of them wasnt. He still tried to get me to drink it subtley, using the cup from the stock, just so that he wouldnt feel bad if it wasnt washed.

Let me invent a proverb right now: "Poison is easier to drink when you're not drinking alone."

Comment

I think its everyone's instinct to drag someone along with you when you fail.
              Crabs in a bucket.

The crabs pull on each other's legs. so that none of the crabs climb out of the bucket.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Speer: Didn't you say peer pressure was a good thing? And here you are complaining about it,...
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

if being an dolt with a low thought job makes me black, i fear for the black community
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18

Crabs in a bucket.
                    so thats where the expression comes from! many thanks

Comment

I've never heard that going to college being selling out. but I grew up in hawaii so not many black ppl. maybe its a black culture thing?

Comment

It's because those college fools don't have love for the streets, dawg.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

is this kind of idea prevalent in other areas or is it just a lower-class thing
                          Well, I am a middle class white kid who goes to a private school and can tell you that my school has a 100% college acceptance rate. I have a feeling it is jealousy and is more of a lower class thing. If you are going to college congrats! I have read that college grads make up to a million more dollars in their life than those who stop at high school.
                          For your photo needs:
                          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

It's called jealousy

I agree that those whom go..go..agreed

I agree that some are jealous some are perhaps even envious...

But the rest of your comment is crappola on a schtick Ming!

Me, I come from a poor family, well, not dirt poor, but 8 children, 2 died. I quit school at 16 joined U S Army at 17. I am now an Area Manager in the Ready Mix Concrete Industry. I am in charge of 6 counties, overseeing 40 people, Sales,Operations,Quality Assurance,Maintenance and collections.

So how am I selling myself short?

Sure, I wish i had stuck out High School, but never had the desire to go to college. I have however taken and passed college level courses for advancement in different programs I needed.

I am just saying that because someone doesnt go to college doesnt make themselves less likely to succeed.

I would ask that being a success not be bracketed by a degree. Life sometimes offers much more satisfaction. Raising a family for instance is considered gratification. So is being a missionary.

My daughter graduated University North Carolina Chapel Hill. She will graduate Wake Forest Medical School as a P.A. My son is a Deputy Sherriff in Onslow County North Carolina.
                            Neither sold themselves "out" or "short". Each took a different course and we are both proud of how they turned out.

I say if you want to attend a higher educational institute, fine.

If you dont, then dont.

If you cannot then seek an alternate path, like lifes lessons along the Hard way.

But dont feel like you are selling yourself short because you dont have a degree. It simply isnt so.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

troll, this isnt 1973, where college is for hippies and ner'do'wells
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X