Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Woman American Soldier Feared Dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Boris Godunov


    First, I think calling me a moron is uncalled for, and under the current moderator policy of being stricter on personal attacks, entirely inappropriate coming from you.
    It was far milder than my original reaction. "Stricter" doesn't mean everyone has to tiptoe around.

    Dan and I were pretty clear on what has likely happened, and you interjected your flippant little retort that was off base by miles.

    Second, I was simply addressing the issue, which Starchild raised, of whether or not a woman's death is, in and of itself, more tragic than a man's.
    And I'd already responded to that point.

    I was not addressing the specific manner of her death. If a man was gangraped and butchered (which also isn't unheard of), it would be just as terrible, IMO.
    The "other issue" was already implied clearly enough for several to recognize it. She wasn't on the video, either live or dead, whereas the other lost members of that unit were. Since she's not likely to be a natural SERE expert as a gift from God, her absense from that video leads to a presumption that she's been segregated and singled out for "special" treatment.

    Yes, similar torture inflicted on a male would be just as terrible.

    Her death is tragic no matter what, because a young life has been snuffed out by others before its time.
    We actually agree on one point.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

    Comment


    • #32
      Ah sloww, you're as gentlemanly as you are hu...err, well we'll just leave those rumours to the side, shall we?
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

      Comment


      • #33
        First of all I want to say that I'm very sorry she was stolen from her loved ones. Seems like she was/is sweet girl.

        This is the biggest reason I don't want women in army. I serve with them sure, and have respect for them, just like any other guy, but there are certain problems like these. Also these are big blows to morale. You guys said they won't let women to combat in the front? If they were aloud to do that, I believe many men would have problems because they would feel the need to protect her, even if she was a good soldier who can take care of herself. It's human nature I guess.. so those are big problems. There are many jobs in the army that are very suitable for women too, like the one she was doing for example.. too bad they got ambushed though.. I don't mean to be chauvinist, but if it was up to me, I wouldn't let women in the army. Only as medics in back lines where it's safer. Not because they couldn't fight, but because men are like that.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

        Comment


        • #34
          I also believe that if they were captured, the men would try to protect her and could not take it if the enemy was giving some hard interrogation and beatings.. they'd spill their guts out. Of course these are not facts, but this is the way I see it, until proven otherwise.

          edit: and as a sidenote, if I captured woman soldier, I wouldn't rape her or kill her because she would be more valuable alive. Maybe more valuable than the men. So I don't know, maybe she still is with us? I hope so..
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

          Comment


          • #35
            Rumours? That's one of my favourite albums.


            Other than that, don't believe all you hear.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
              It was far milder than my original reaction. "Stricter" doesn't mean everyone has to tiptoe around.

              Dan and I were pretty clear on what has likely happened, and you interjected your flippant little retort that was off base by miles.
              I wasn't responding to what you and Dan had said...I was responding to Starchild's post. That's why I quoted his post in mine. While you might think everyone would be addressing your almighty posts, that wasn't the case here. I don't have a clue as to what you're getting offended at.

              And I'd already responded to that point.
              Good for you--but I was responding to Starchild.

              The "other issue" was already implied clearly enough for several to recognize it. She wasn't on the video, either live or dead, whereas the other lost members of that unit were. Since she's not likely to be a natural SERE expert as a gift from God, her absense from that video leads to a presumption that she's been segregated and singled out for "special" treatment.
              That's all terrible, and grounds for concern...but I wasn't addressing that at all.

              Yes, similar torture inflicted on a male would be just as terrible.

              We actually agree on one point.
              Well, two, then, but I'm not at all sure what you're disagreeing with in what I initially said.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by monkspider


                How so, comrade?
                the "drift" is that she is feared dead, and to my knowledge, there has been no confirmation.

                the fact that she might have been captured, rather than killed, combined with the fact that she is a decent looking woman serving the "infadels", could lead to things i would deem worse than death.

                i fear for all soldiers captured by a dying regime.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

                Comment


                • #38
                  For the record, eight soldiers from the 507th Maintenance Company went missing after the March 23 ambush. Two are women.

                  Army Pfc. Jessica Lynch, 19, Palestine, W.Va.
                  Army Spc. James Kiehl, 22, Comfort, Texas
                  Army Pvt. Brandon Sloan, 19, Bedford Heights, Ohio
                  Army Pfc. Lori Piestewa, 22, Tuba City, Ariz.
                  Army Sgt. Donald Walters, 33, Salem, Ore.
                  Army Master Sgt. Robert J. Dowdy, 38, Cleveland, Ohio
                  Army Pvt. Ruben Estrella-Soto, 18, El Paso, Texas
                  Army Chief Warrant Officer Johnny Villareal Mata, 35, El Paso, Texas

                  Source

                  I wonder why The Sun didn't do a story about Lori Piestewa.
                  ACOL owner/administrator

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Edit. Thinking of wrong woman.
                    Lot of Texans.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      because she wasn't pictured alive?
                      More likely because she isn't a blonde "country girl".

                      However, she is a mother of two young children and that makes the situation all the more tragic.
                      ACOL owner/administrator

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        We cross-posted, but I doubt that's the case.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          It's a shame that wars aren't fought by the 4ssholes that start them.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Whatever happened to the days when the king would have to lead the soldiers? Or at least the generals...
                            Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

                            I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Sloww: We're talking about The Sun. You can be sure there were some editorial decisions made.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Sava
                                It's a shame that wars aren't fought by the 4ssholes that start them.
                                Or at least not be started by chicken**** draft-dodgers.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X