Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Woman American Soldier Feared Dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Starchild
    I'm vaguely sure this is going to turn me into Starchild Flambé (add a dash more brandy hun, I'll forgive as I cook), but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died? I mean, yes, it's horrible and tragic, but why does it being a woman make it more tragic?
    Because, silly, women are weak and fragile and must be protected at all costs...

    Starchild is asking if the death of a woman is more tragic than the death of man would be, under the same circumstances. My answer is no, of course not.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by DarthVeda


      Saudi Arabia, anyone?
      I don't like those bastards, either.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

      Comment


      • #18
        Fuels, Armory, all part of Supply.

        I think it's something like for every soldier in combat, there are 10 in support.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Boris Godunov


          Because, silly, women are weak and fragile and must be protected at all costs...

          Starchild is asking if the death of a woman is more tragic than the death of man would be, under the same circumstances. My answer is no, of course not.


          Moron, most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by DanS
            but how is this more tragic than if a 19 year old man died

            The circumstances of her death. This was with the supply train that was ambushed, and had executed soldiers (bullets through forehead) shown on Iraqi national TV.
            What about the rest of the soldiers on that supply train (I assume those things aren't just manned/protected by one person). Is her death more tragic than their's? If no, why single out her as the "tragic" death? If no, what made her death more tragic than the others?

            People die in war. It's up there with the sky is blue, things fall down, and I'm fabulous as one of the few universal truths. I'm hesitant to call one death more overwhelmingly tragic than another.

            With exceptions of course. Saddam can bite my designer jean clad, tai-bo firmed ass. I won't shed much tears over him.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
              No, some deaths in this war will not be tragic.
              Which ones are you referring to Mikey? If you are referring to, say, fanatical Sadaam supporters, for example, I must strongly disagree. It is unfortunate that they have been misled as to support an evil despot, but there are many in this war who have been misled, and I do not wish death upon any of them. The deaths of these people will be tragedies, regardless of the circumstances, and killing them will never truly get us anywhere in the long term.
              The one thing I really hope, and it's not likely to happen with this administration or any future ones (or most other countries in this world) is that in the future, we do not support this type of brutal, dictatorial regime for reasons of geopolitical expediency.
              This I agree with wholeheartedly Mikey, and I would say that you will be pleasently surprised one day.
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #22
                Ah, MTG's clarification as to the Iraqi, err....procedures for female soldiers is a valid reason why her death would be more tragic. She may have suffered more thus more tragedy.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

                Comment


                • #23
                  I think people with no frame of reference, shouldn't speak.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

                  Comment


                  • #24


                    #a mad world....a mad world...#

                    Why do they always send soldiers into war that are so young?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat




                      Moron, most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
                      First, I think calling me a moron is uncalled for, and under the current moderator policy of being stricter on personal attacks, entirely inappropriate coming from you.

                      Second, I was simply addressing the issue, which Starchild raised, of whether or not a woman's death is, in and of itself, more tragic than a man's. I was not addressing the specific manner of her death. If a man was gangraped and butchered (which also isn't unheard of), it would be just as terrible, IMO.

                      Her death is tragic no matter what, because a young life has been snuffed out by others before its time.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        I think people with no frame of reference, shouldn't speak.
                        Sloww, moi petite prince, is this directed against me? I'll admit to having no experience of the military or war but I know tragedy and death. I'm just asking what makes one death more tragic than another.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          On the issue of men vs women's death, I am in total agreement with Boris and StarC. A woman's death is not any more tragic than a man's. But this is pretty self-evident I would think.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Actually, no it wasn't directed to you.
                            It was to the "Mikey" speaker.

                            Darlin', you know I wouldn't speak that way to you.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Actually, no it wasn't directed to you.
                              It was to the "Mikey" speaker.

                              Darlin', you know I wouldn't speak that way to you.
                              What frame of reference do you feel that I lack, Slowwy darlin?
                              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                                ... most likely she didn't get something as quick as a bullet in the forehead. Gangrape of female prisoners is far from unheard of - it really depends on who had custody of these soldiers at the time they were executed, and beyond.
                                I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary for some folks to have it spelled out to them as to exactly what her fate might have been. In her case, a bullet would have been quicker ...

                                Gatekeeper
                                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

                                "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X