Who watches Al Jazeera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher

You're the "philosopher", I've never said anything about my ability to argue.
    Now philsophers (lovers of knowledge) are insanely bad people
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
      No. When you live in a country that has never seen its cities burnt to the ground
      War of 1812.
      Or do you mean in recent memory? How about 9-11...

or someone shot dead by the government
      1960s protests. Happened many times.

Most Americans dont have this experience. Most americans dont understand death very well. Even after Sep11.
      Oh, this is completely laughable.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I disagree Asher.

I don't think Americans know what death is.

You've heard stories/movies about being a kid and discovering a dead body. That is a shocking thing, and not many kids have seen one. Death is an alien concept to Americans.

Except car crashes. But even then usually only the emergency workers see the carnage.

9/11 wasn't very graphic except for the people jumping out of the building. And I admit I was shocked at that.

Comment

War of 1812.
          Or do you mean in recent memory? How about 9-11...
          The WTC was an entire city?!?! I didnt know that.

1960s protests. Happened many times.
          Over a period of say, 90 years?

Oh, this is completely laughable.
          This comment completly shows your ignorance of the subject.

You dont know death if you see only 1 atrocity commited. Some people after Sep11 know death, but most americans DONT.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
            Truth should be a good enough reason.
            Honest question: If pure, hardcore truth is all your after -- what do you think of the 5 year olds watching this?

What do you think of the families of soldiers which see their loved ones dead on TV, their innards spread over a 5 foot area or their brain splayed across the ground.

Do you not care?

What do you think of the people so disgusted by the graphic nature of it they turn apathetic?

What do you think of the people becoming so desensitised to the material that they treat death even more nonchalantly?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              I disagree Asher.

I don't think Americans know what death is.

You've heard stories/movies about being a kid and discovering a dead body. That is a shocking thing, and not many kids have seen one. Death is an alien concept to Americans.

Except car crashes. But even then usually only the emergency workers see the carnage.

9/11 wasn't very graphic except for the people jumping out of the building. And I admit I was shocked at that.
              Are you AGREEING WITH ME?!

Comment

I think Tass is spot-on regarding America's knowledge of death.
                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

you guys are missing the obvious point

CNN is a business. They are in it for the ratings.

They only show what the consumers want!

Comment

Honest question: If pure, hardcore truth is all your after -- what do you think of the 5 year olds watching this?

What do you think of the families of soldiers which see their loved ones dead on TV, their innards spread over a 5 foot area or their brain splayed across the ground.

Do you not care?

What do you think of the people so disgusted by the graphic nature of it they turn apathetic?

What do you think of the people becoming so desensitised to the material that they treat death even more nonchalantly?
                    I care. I care completly. Thats why I want a warning.

Do you want people to say "Well, only 10 people died there. Not very many"?

Do you want people so desensitised to war that they unleash it on others without a single thought? Because if you haven't seen it, you dont know what its like. Therefore you can't make an informed decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                      The WTC was an entire city?!?! I didnt know that.
                      The WTC had more people working in it than people who lived in Umm Qasr...

Over a period of say, 90 years?
                      Irrelevant...

This comment completly shows your ignorance of the subject.
                      No, it shows my laziness into arguing about stupid things.

You dont know death if you see only 1 atrocity commited. Some people after Sep11 know death, but most americans DONT.
                      I didn't know this was a science. Tell me the precise threshold of when people know death, and which studies talk about which percentage of Americans know death.

Look: It's all open to interpretation, but I think it's damn condescending for people to argue that "Americans don't understand death" and use that as a centerpiece for an argument to show full-out carnage all over TV.

Comment

• see, now your sig is correct Tass

Comment

I care. I care completly. Thats why I want a warning.
                          Warnings are STUPID.
                          Warnings rarely have an effect, EVER.

If you see a warning on your VHS tapes warning about copying them, do you then say "f*ck, I better not copy this!" or do you just find them annoying?

Do you want people so desensitised to war that they unleash it on others without a single thought?
                          That's obviously not the case, there was plenty of thought behind the Iraq conflict. Hell, we gave Iraq over a dozen years to comply with UN demands, but they still wouldn't. C'est la vie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

The WTC had more people working in it than people who lived in Umm Qasr...
                            And were you able to see it close up, how people were being shot at by troops over a hill or right next to you?

Irrelevant...
                            Actually yes, I should say more like 50 years.

Look: It's all open to interpretation, but I think it's damn condescending for people to argue that "Americans don't understand death" and use that as a centerpiece for an argument to show full-out carnage all over TV.
                            Do you think Americans understand death like, say, an Afghani or a Soviet-Russian would?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Warnings are STUPID.
                              Warnings rarely have an effect, EVER.

If you see a warning on your VHS tapes warning about copying them, do you then say "f*ck, I better not copy this!" or do you just find them annoying?
                              Fine, if you choose to ignore a warning, then do so. I personally heed to them sometimes. SUCH AS WARNINGS ABOUT VIOLENCE.

it's each persons choice. If they want to ignore it, they can.

That's obviously not the case, there was plenty of thought behind the Iraq conflict. Hell, we gave Iraq over a dozen years to comply with UN demands, but they still wouldn't. C'est la vie.
                              Yes it is the case. Because for MANY MANY years, Americans never really thought about the war in Iraq. It just wasnt a major issue.

Comment

And were you able to see it close up, how people were being shot at by troops over a hill or right next to you?
                                I have no desire to see it close-up, and neither did Americans.

Do you honestly think Americans did not understand how many people died in 9-11 until they see the corpses?

Do you think Americans understand death like, say, an Afghani or a Soviet-Russian would?
                                A sufficiently ambiguous question, don't you think?
                                Every American I know recognizes death is a permanent thing.

If anything, I'd think Afghanis would understand death far less than your average American -- since a lot more Afhganis believe in the false idea of an afterlife.

Comment

Working...
                                X