No announcement yet.

Who watches Al Jazeera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think some people need to chill... before they get chilled...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassadar5000
      you missed my edit
      And I have to go.

I'll continue this debate tomorrow if this thread remains untouched
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem
        The population of Afghanistan is what, about 25-30 million? I'm not entirely sure. The US is about 300 million, and I'd say there must be at least 15% of those with a moderate to strong believe in Christianity, and an afterlife. So America Christians would easily top Afghani Muslims.
        AGAIN

I'm not talking raw numbers (that's exceedingly stupid), I'm talking percentages.

The percentage of people in Afghanistan believing in the afterlife is undoubtedly higher than that in America.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Is this a joke?

I'm not talking raw numbers, I'm talking percentages. That should have been obvious...
          For crying out loud Asher, at least keep your argument straight:

"I'm fairly sure you're mistaken. There are no doubt MANY religious people in America ( ) but there are no doubt MANY more religious people in Afghanistan"

You quite obviously were talking raw numbers. And that was only a couple of posts ago.

Comment

For crying out loud Asher, at least keep your argument straight:

"I'm fairly sure you're mistaken. There are no doubt MANY religious people in America ( ) but there are no doubt MANY more religious people in Afghanistan"

You quite obviously were talking raw numbers. And that was only a couple of posts ago.
            Why don't you look at it in context...

We were talking about the AVERAGE American/Afghani, then afterwards in a subsequent post I said there are MANY more religious people in Afghanistan than America, in the context of the average American/Afghani. I was thinking of it in terms of percentages, not raw numbers (I don't understand why you would think raw numbers would be relevant...)

I apologize for being unclear and relying on your analytical skills to realize I wasn't implying a nation of 300M had less religious people than a nation of 25M.

See, you yell at me for being patronizing, and just when I go and leave things up for you to figure out...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The US administration was alive and well in the Vietnam war, they know the harsh realities of war first-hand in many cases, and still they support it.

There's simply no case for showing the carnage of war on everyone's TV.
              But there's a whole new generation of people that hasn't, and it's their future that's being affected. They should know fully what's at stake.

Comment

Willem either has reading comprehension problems or intentionally set up a strawman which said that an "entire generation" became "raving lunatics" because of it.
                The point I'm trying to make, which you either fail to grasp or are trying to avoid, is that my generation saw these types of graphic images, and we were able to deal with it. We weren't traumatized, nor did they do any damage to our fragile psyches. We just saw the war more realisticaly than what people today are being shown, and we handled it in our own way. People are much stronger emotionally than you seem to want to give them credit for.

Comment

The point I'm trying to make, which you either fail to grasp or are trying to avoid, is that my generation saw these types of graphic images, and we were able to deal with it. We weren't traumatized, nor did they do any damage to our fragile psyches.
                  I thought I shot down that point with my "jump off a 14-story building" example.

You can't say your entire generation saw the footage and everyone is fine. You just...can't.

You may be fine (so you claim ) but others may not be. Sure, the majority of people probably get over it, but those same people today are overwhelmingly (75%)supporting this war effort.

Some people are still traumatized from it, and you don't seem to get that. I was ignoring your "our generation saw it and is fine" garbage because I thought I already addressed that. You cannot stereotype a generation like that. And in any case, it clearly doesn't change people's perspective on supporting the war (look at the polls)

IIRC, the younger people are the more likely they are to oppose the war. These younger people never saw the Vietnam stuff.

Keep that in mind.

Comment

• It's not just long-term stuff too, it's mostly short-term.

Children having nightmares, having mommy-and-daddy having to sit down and explain to them at a young age what happened to that man's head... Nasty stuff emotionally.

Comment

Why don't you look at it in context...
                      If you mean percentages, then say it. It's not my fault you're not communicating clearly.

Comment

If you mean percentages, then say it. It's not my fault you're not communicating clearly.
                        I already apologized for relying on context.

I am somewhat used to dealing with people who are in university or university graduates -- so they have the ability to see things in context and make distinctions and realize what people are saying without them carefully spelling out every detail of what they're saying in every sentence.

Quite frankly, I think it's simply ridiculous that you assumed I meant there are more people, as a raw number, religious in Afghanistan (25M) than US (300M). I think it says more about you than me.

Comment

It's not just long-term stuff too, it's mostly short-term.

Children having nightmares, having mommy-and-daddy having to sit down and explain to them at a young age what happened to that man's head... Nasty stuff emotionally.
                          War is hell. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Comment

War is hell. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
                            I completely agree.
                            Which is why if people want to see the heat, they should have to go to the kitchen, rather than have the kitchen come to them. Bad analogy, but you get the picture.

To take the bad analogy even further, by putting those graphic images on TV, you're throwing people in the kitchen and letting them run out again if they can't take the heat.

And I think there's many problems with that attitude.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Who watches Al Jazeera?

Originally posted by Asher
                              Nonsense -- there is absolutely nothing NEWSWORTHY of blood and corpses. We can be told numbers of losses, that's all that's needed.

Here's YOUR solution: You want to satisify your necrophelia fetish, hop on Kazaa and spare everyone else.
                              So, are you suggesting that the media should "sanitise" what they show? After all, blood and corpses are part of the war. To see a war in its nasty nakedness, the media has a responsibility of showing everything: blood, corpses, refugees, buildings destroyed, everything.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Does anyone think WW1 would have continued past Verdun and the Somme if there was reporting like we see today.
                                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                                X