The Philosopher of Islamic Terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Philosopher of Islamic Terror

I know that the average Apolyton OTer's attention span is to short for this but I thought it was importmant enough to bring it up.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/magazine/23GURU.html

To anyone who has looked closely enough, Al Qaeda and its sister organizations plainly enjoy yet another strength, arguably the greatest strength of all, something truly imposing -- though in the Western press this final strength has received very little attention. Bin Laden is a Saudi plutocrat with Yemeni ancestors, and most of the suicide warriors of Sept. 11 were likewise Saudis, and the provenance of those people has focused everyone's attention on the Arabian peninsula. But Al Qaeda has broader roots. The organization was created in the late 1980's by an affiliation of three armed factions -- bin Laden's circle of ''Afghan'' Arabs, together with two factions from Egypt, the Islamic Group and Egyptian Islamic Jihad, the latter led by Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri, Al Qaeda's top theoretician. The Egyptian factions emerged from an older current, a school of thought from within Egypt's fundamentalist movement, the Muslim Brotherhood, in the 1950's and 60's. And at the heart of that single school of thought stood, until his execution in 1966, a philosopher named Sayyid Qutb -- the intellectual hero of every one of the groups that eventually went into Al Qaeda, their Karl Marx (to put it that way), their guide.

Qutb (pronounced KUH-tahb) wrote a book called ''Milestones,'' and that book was cited at his trial, which gave it immense publicity, especially after its author was hanged. ''Milestones'' became a classic manifesto of the terrorist wing of Islamic fundamentalism. A number of journalists have dutifully turned the pages of ''Milestones,'' trying to decipher the otherwise inscrutable terrorist point of view.
    The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
    Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

I hear MtG coming. It should be enlightening...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It was a great article. The thing is that Qutb does give a nicely self contained explination and examination on the current alienation of man, which is what is so scary.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Qutb has an interesting, but ultimately flawed, view.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Great article, Prometheus. I had already known a lot of this, but the article filled in many of the gaps in my knowledge. I wish more pieces of this quality would find their way onto Poly...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The thing is that Qutb does give a nicely self contained explination and examination on the current alienation of man, which is what is so scary.

I agree. This section in particular stood out to me...

In writing about modern life, he put his finger on something that every thinking person can recognize, if only vaguely -- the feeling that human nature and modern life are somehow at odds. But Qutb evoked this feeling in a specifically Muslim fashion. It is easy to imagine that, in expounding on these themes back in the 1950's and 60's, Qutb had already identified the kind of personal agony that Mohamed Atta and the suicide warriors of Sept. 11 must have experienced in our own time. It was the agony of inhabiting a modern world of liberal ideas and achievements while feeling that true life exists somewhere else. It was the agony of walking down a modern sidewalk while dreaming of a different universe altogether, located in the Koranic past -- the agony of being pulled this way and that.

I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing. I have my own struggles with reconciling my desire for spiritual fulfillment with the spiritual void that is modern life. When I think about my own struggle with these issues, I can understand how people like Mohammed Atta come about. Honestly, if I had been born in Saudi Arabia, I could have been Mohammed Atta. That's a truly horrifying thing, to know that a mere twist of fate in your place of birth could turn you into the evil you hate and fear most...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing. I have my own struggles with reconciling my desire for spiritual fulfillment with the spiritual void that is modern life. When I think about my own struggle with these issues, I can understand how people like Mohammed Atta come about. Honestly, if I had been born in Saudi Arabia, I could have been Mohammed Atta. That's a truly horrifying thing, to know that a mere twist of fate in your place of birth could turn you into the evil you hate and fear most...
              Wow, Drake, that is very profound...

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
              "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
              "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

I have my moments...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I feel that agony all the time, the sense that the things our modern society expects of us are in some way antithetical to the things we should really be doing.
                  “Neither fraud, nor deceit, nor malice had yet interfered with truth and plain dealing” (Book 1, Part 8).

-Don Quixote.

Fuggedabout Sava! Thanks, Drake.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The article had its high points — especially in regards to the utter division that one does see far too often in Western society when it comes to science and religion. Maybe this sounds strange, but I believe science and religion are one and the same; they just take differing forms.

The rest of the article, however, was disturbing. Fanaticism is a very scary, scary thing.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Maybe this sounds strange, but I believe science and religion are one and the same; they just take differing forms.

I've thought this for a while as well. While there are differences, at their most basic levels both religion and science are attempts by man to comprehend the world around them. Both also rest squarely on a foundation of faith, whether in an all-powerful deity or the power of human reason. As Qutb points out, the complete division between the two in Western society is certainly odd and possibly harmful...
                      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; March 24, 2003, 04:43.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Wow, this is a landmark post. All I can say is . God bless you Drake.
                        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also have to join in the orgy for Drake. For my part, I always shiver at the thought of having the potential of being a Nazi killer inside - if born in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the same goes for Islamic fundamentalists of course.

The scary thing is once we get to understand the anger or way of thinking of such evildoers, which still is very different from justifying it or making their acts less sick, we see our own potential to fall for some fanatism.
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

quite interesting, and it seems to explain a lot of things. his philosophy would be very bad news for whoever has to live under it. it's much too idealistic, and doesn't seem practical at all. even if it did work perfectly humanity would never grow after it was totally achieved. however, i guess god would then make a new prophet to show us a way forward...

this is really just a rationalization to justify killing christians/jews/etc, albiet a powerful one. we at the moment are lacking a powerful rationalization to justify killing of all muslims, which is what the last bit of the article seems to be getting at.
                            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

we at the moment are lacking a powerful rationalization to justify killing of all muslims
                              Because one does not exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X