Protest via Civil Disobedience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protest via Civil Disobedience

The Stop the War Coalition is trying to organise mass-protests by simply not working/going to school whatever.

School and college students are urged to strike and occupy next Wednesday March 19.
    The day that war breaks out, the assembly calls on everyone to STOP EVERYTHING. Where possible walk out of your work place, college or school and then converge in your city centre. This will culminate in a mass protest at 6pm.
    Many of my fellow students are simply not going to school on Wednesday/Thursday. Most of them aren't simply avoiding school for the sake of avoiding school.

However, it does seem to me that chances are this won't acheive anything, and I would simply be missing a day of school for no good reason. (I also have some practical coursework to complete on the Thursday )

Is it worth it? Does this kind of thing ever actually have an effect? Is it a good thing, bad thing, just-a-thing?
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Not going to school will only hurt me, not Bush... and if I were to not go to work, I'd get fired. How about everybody doesn't pay their income taxes?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The best way to protest is to vote for someone else next election.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't work or go to school already. I'm one step ahead of you all!
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Immortal Wombat:

How do you feel about the issue? Do you agree with the protesters?

If not, I think you should go to class. If the prof is there, and everyone who disagrees also goes, he will still provide the expected lecture.

Civil Disobedience can be incredibly effective depending on your objectives on campus. If you are trying to change Bush's mind, then there is no point in protesting. However, if you plan to change the minds of the students, then civil disobedience is the best way to get your message across.

BTW- civil disobedience assumes that the protest breaks rules normally accorded to protests. This is more of a boycott or strike rather than civil disobedience.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm gonna flunk my classes. That'll show them who's boss...

Oh, and I'm gonna go ten mph over the speed limit too. Take that, warhawks!
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Wutang!

Blah

Comment

As the Australian constitution contains an 'implied' right of free speech, can I exercise this right by protesting the war through ignoring the road speed limit?
                'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Strike and occupy the buildings, otherwise there is no point - something more akin to a picket line. People need to make their feelings known on this one!
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    Wutang!
                    Yeah, good idea! I'm gonna listen to rap music! And I'm gonna play it real loud, too! And I'm gonna drink! And curse!
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

let me guess. all the people who don't go to school/work are against the war

yeah right.

What a great way to make it look like more people are against the war, than actually are.

I have to hand it to them. This was a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

Yeah, good idea! I'm gonna listen to rap music! And I'm gonna play it real loud, too! And I'm gonna drink! And curse!

You are a martyr for peace on earth.
                        Blah

Comment

I'm of the opinion most protestors (esp. the ones here protesting @ UNT ) are just using it as an excuse to get out of school/work.

But, that's just me.

Comment

and what kid isn't going to use this as a great opportunity to skip war. Even if he is pro-war.

I think all the anti-war people really want to see the war on tv for another.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                              The best way to protest is to vote for someone else next election.
                              About 80 % did. Or stayed home.
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X