No announcement yet.

Commons votes WAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh. I am about to learn somehting new. Please tell me, what is a Repubicrat?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The Repubicrats are America's big fat majority party, usually getting about 90-100 % of the vote.

Do I really have to explain the origin of the term?

And I'm again amused at how you read what I write.
      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
        The Repubicrats are America's big fat majority party, usually getting about 90-100 % of the vote.
        Wow. Who are they? Do they have offices in Area 51?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Don't know. Why don't you google the word + "area 51" ? Seems "Republicrats" is more popular, try that one.
          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Hoo boooy.

So, how bout you explain the term, rather than leave it at the nebulous 'all American elections are fixed'.

OTOH, nevermind. I just figured it out.

Yeah. I guess they have a very poor tradition of democracy down there. Must be worse than the one they imposed on you folks, right?

Is that why you're bitter? I mean. It must have been nice with that empire of slavs and balts and what-not. I mean, before you had democracy imposed on you.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Say something really mean, NYE. It'll make you feel better...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Ok, NYE, from the start:

Republicrats - Republicans and Democrats seen as one party due to the lack of distinction between the two. Similar concept: SPÖVP, blending the austrian conservatives (ÖVP) and social democrats (SPÖ) into one party.

"Yeah. I guess they have a very poor tradition of democracy down there."

Hey, they say they're a Republic. Didn't you read that?

"I mean. It must have been nice with that empire of slavs and balts and what-not. I mean, before you had democracy imposed on you."

Balts? I'm not swedish.

Now, I guess I have to educate you on the role the slavic representatives played in the Austrian Reichstag from 1867-1918, especially the Polish vote from Galicia...

Comment

Full text of Blair's speech

Now why couldn't Bush have given an eloquent speech like that?
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
                    "Yeah. I guess they have a very poor tradition of democracy down there."

Hey, they say they're a Republic. Didn't you read that?
                    I think they consider themselves a democratic republic. I think it means they gather once every four years or so to elect representatives. Actually, I think it is more often, because they have some kind of screwy alternating system, but maybe that's just me.

In the mean time, those representatives govern. Representatives, not polls.

"I mean. It must have been nice with that empire of slavs and balts and what-not. I mean, before you had democracy imposed on you."

Balts? I'm not swedish.
                    I'm sweet. I gave you an out.

Now, I guess I have to educate you on the role the slavic representatives played in the Austrian Reichstag from 1867-1918, especially the Polish vote from Galicia...
                    Hmmm. Austrian Reichstag. Did the emporer ask its permission to go to war with Serbia in '14? Would it have mattered?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Every two years at the federal level.

As for the Reichstag, I'm not sure about the technical details. The Reichstag could have stopped the war by denying its funding and sacking the government, but there was a broad majority in favour.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                        Full text of Blair's speech

Now why couldn't Bush have given an eloquent speech like that?
                        I saw almost the whole thing yesterday, I must say, there a couple of good speeches...

Politics at it's best ?!
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Bush can't give a speech like that because he's a godawful public speaker.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I thought that both Robin Cook's resignation speech and Tony Blair's appeal to Parliament were masterful - they both came across as decent, honest people who passionately believed what they were doing is right.

I don't entirely agree with either one of them, but I have to admire their eloquence (or the eloquence of their speech-writers).
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I think when they speak in the commons, they can't rely as much on speach writers because they have to react to comments form other MP's
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The parliamentary system forces Brit politicians, PM's in particular, to be much better speakers than their US counterparts.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X